1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Obscure gem rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
KT Nereng
Norway
flag msg tools
I would like to play something good, but not too well known. A euro game ranked beyond 1000 i suppose. Between 30-120 minutes playing time. Plays well with 2. No auctions. Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iwan Kandinshuk
Russia
flag msg tools
new user
Some suggestions:
Finca
Glüx
Jamaica

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Clarke
United Kingdom
Caithness
Scotland
flag msg tools

Kupferkessel Co.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iwan Kandinshuk
Russia
flag msg tools
new user
Iwan Kandinshuk wrote:
Some suggestions:
Finca
Glüx
Jamaica

Oh, I just saw that Finca and Jamaica are top 1000. They seem to be better known than I thought...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is not normal.
badge
mbmbmb
Steam Time by Rüdiger Dorn is ranked 1,154 overall. It is an excellent game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also

which is similar to Schotten Totten (and Battle Line). I made my own set to try it before I was able to find a copy. I had some plain discs that I wrote the numbers on, and grabbed some dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is not normal.
badge
mbmbmb
Adventure Land by Michael Kiesling and Wolfgang Kramer is on the lighter side, but it provides some interesting decisions for gamers when playing scenarios 2 and 3, as well as the scenarios from the expansion. The components and art are lovely. It is ranked 1,274 overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Big Points - an excellent game for 2-3 (gets chaotic with 4 and 5 but still good). Quicker game.

Fifth Avenue - another excellent game for 2-3. I seriously love this one and hey, because it gets bashed, you can get it for a song!

Oh wait, it has an auction in it.

Still great, tho.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

The Road to Canterbury

Plays 2-3 players (and plays both player counts equally well). Very funny if you know/enjoy Chaucer's Canterbury Tales (still pretty amusing if you've never read them). The mechanics work incredibly smoothly with each other. Current ranking is 1638.

(You tempt pilgrims into sin for profit. Then, you absolve them of their sins for profit. Finally, you want to make sure you're the one that causes them to die of their sins in order to perform last rites.... for profit.)

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Logan
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavum is awesome and works well with 2. I know it has auctions listed in the mechanics, but it's really just a selling phase. I despise auctions. It's definitely worth a look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
So the 1000 point is a 6.4 rating. Scanning down my own ranking of games in order the first things I encounter below that are abstract games and wargames. Then I begin to hit historical games that are very good but have low ratings due to the post-1995 prejudice most raters have (Formula 1 in 1962 or The Great Khan Game in 1989). The first modern game I hit is Key Market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Oakley
United States
Brandon
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games come to my mind:

Kings of Air and Steam - programmed pickup and deliver with special player powers and a bit of network building. I really enjoy this one and think it needs more love. If only the ships were more reasonably sized...

The Walled City: Londonderry & Borderlands - a really cool area majority game, where you simultaneously build the neighborhoods you are trying to control as you add your pieces to said neighborhoods. Additionally, there are "factions" who you are trying to win over, but the faction presence is spread across several neighborhoods. Do not overlook this even though area majority often does not work very well with 2 players - the dummy player (which is only part of the setup and scoring really) makes it still very interesting with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Matt Logan wrote:
Cavum is awesome and works well with 2. I know it has auctions listed in the mechanics, but it's really just a selling phase. I despise auctions. It's definitely worth a look.

I liked The Swarm better than Cavum and also hate auctions. I thought it worked much better with only two people.

My recommendations are:

mbMadame Ching - Not sure if this counts as a "Euro" or not (I'm no good with labels) but here's my comment on the game: An absolutely beautiful game, and fun to top it off. We prefer this game most with two players - each player controls two expeditions instead of one and it's substantially more strategic than the three or four-player game. More players stays engaging because you're always scrapping for the one card you want but two players feels more like Ultra Rack-O.

mbGonzaga - Nothing else in our collection is quite like it. There's a physical/puzzle aspect to it combined with an agonizing but fun system of action allocation where you can never do everything you want to.

mbMasons - An older game but one we still enjoy. Everything you do potentially benefits your opponent. Plays well with two, and it has a ton of little pieces so it really feels like you're building together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FWIW my highest rated euros ranked beyond 1000 are:

Greed (currently at rank 1304) - great card drafting game by donaldx with various combos to explore. (But perhaps too short for your desired 30-120 minute playing time!)

Carcassonne: The Discovery (currently at rank 1553) - we like how completed areas are not automatically scored as in other Carcassonnes, but you must spend a meeple action (instead of placing a meeple) to score them, and each meeple removed scores for you (regardless of who has more meeples). It makes for different tactics than normal Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Knutage wrote:
I would like to play something good, but not too well known. A euro game ranked beyond 1000 i suppose. Between 30-120 minutes playing time. Plays well with 2. No auctions. Any suggestions?

The Road to Canterbury

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Sattler
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Divinare
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on going to my rankings and sorting by rank on the site here. Bremerhaven is the one that stands out to me. My wife and I really like it. Concerns for your criteria, it can push up to 2 hours, so first plays might be longer.

While they aren't exactly auctions in the game, you do 'bid' on actions and cards. You play hidden influence cards on certain actions and when all influence cards are played you find out who influenced that action most. With 2 this sometimes causes some interchange, but since you can see what others are bidding on, it usually works out more like a worker placement thing than a bidding war (usually).

My other one would be Undermining. This is a cool game, but it kind of gets replaced by Super Motherload. They are different games, but they have a similar theme (same designer). So giving that as my sole answer is kind of cheating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

The Princes of Machu Picchu - one of Mac Gerdt's lesser known games (without a rondel also), but I think it's his second best game (after Concordia)

+1 for Steam Time

Covert - dice placement with a puzzly code-breaking mechanism - one of my top games from 2016

La Granja: No Siesta - the absolute best (and most euro-y) roll-and-write game out there

Nauticus - probably overlooked because it's hard to find in the States, but this is probably my 2nd favorite Kramer/Kiesling game - unique action selection mechanism with a Peurto Rico-esque follow idea

El Gaucho - dice drafting meets worker placement meets a unique set collection mechanism

Inhabit the Earth - seriously under-rated Richard Breese game with very clever hand management/ tableu building that powers a race game

Ships - a medium weight Martin Wallace game that isn't a crunchy economic game... it's my favorite of all his games so far

Steam Works - you literally construct complex worker placement locations for yourself or to tempt your opponents to use (giving you rewards of course)

Burano - very thinky (and gorgeous) euro where you construct and deconstruct pyramids of cubes, with the color of cube you remove representing an action you can take. Very unique game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King of the Elves
Perry Rhodan: The Cosmic League
Snit's Revenge
The Awful Green Things From Outer Space
Guns & Steel

are my top five that meet your criteria.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
One of the greatest games ever: Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648
Wallace's best: Struggle of Empires
2004 a great year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul O)))
United States
Northeast OH
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some games that come to mind:

Ave Roma
Kingdoms
Barony
Rome: City of Marble
Masques
Flash Duel: Revised Second Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sagar
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It could be described as a filler, but it has strong tactical game play and it gets better the more you play it.

Clans
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
City of Iron: Second Edition - rank 1308 - avg rating 7.51 - A nice Euro with Ryan Laukat's lovely art. A cute deck building mechanism make for a fun game, but it is some 'take that' which you might not like. Also, to be fair, the 1st edition is ranked 765, so that may not be quite obscure enough for you.

City of Spies: Estoril 1942 - rank 1299 - avg rating 7.24 - Not exactly a Euro but I don't know what else to call it. You place spies in the Portuguese city of Estriol and try to outmaneuver your opponents to gain the best spies and the most points. I like it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Kingdoms, that's a nice game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.