Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
skutsch wrote:
City of Iron: Second Edition - rank 1308 - avg rating 7.51 - A nice Euro with Ryan Laukat's lovely art. A cute deck building mechanism make for a fun game, but it is some 'take that' which you might not like. Also, to be fair, the 1st edition is ranked 765, so that may not be quite obscure enough for you.

City of Spies: Estoril 1942 - rank 1299 - avg rating 7.24 - Not exactly a Euro but I don't know what else to call it. You place spies in the Portuguese city of Estriol and try to outmaneuver your opponents to gain the best spies and the most points. I like it a lot.

I hope that you only recommend games that start with "City of...".

Do you know why City of Iron first edition would be ranked so much higher than the second edition? I only just got the second edition and from my limited research it seemed to be more well-known.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
skutsch wrote:
City of Iron: Second Edition - rank 1308 - avg rating 7.51 - A nice Euro with Ryan Laukat's lovely art. A cute deck building mechanism make for a fun game, but it is some 'take that' which you might not like. Also, to be fair, the 1st edition is ranked 765, so that may not be quite obscure enough for you.

City of Spies: Estoril 1942 - rank 1299 - avg rating 7.24 - Not exactly a Euro but I don't know what else to call it. You place spies in the Portuguese city of Estriol and try to outmaneuver your opponents to gain the best spies and the most points. I like it a lot.

I hope that you only recommend games that start with "City of...".

Do you know why City of Iron first edition would be ranked so much higher than the second edition? I only just got the second edition and from my limited research it seemed to be more well-known.

It's ranked higher because there are more votes because it's been around longer.

I love games with "City" in the title. Of course, I gave away Blue Moon City, so I dunno, maybe I'm just confused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
To be fair, it only had "city". If it had been named "City of Blue Moon" I bet you would have kept it. And you should have, because it's really fun and way better than the game it originated from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cliff Roberts
United States
Barstow
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not take a look at this fairly unique game: Safranito?

It's been a hidden gem for my family for a few years now. We love it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
To be fair, it only had "city". If it had been named "City of Blue Moon" I bet you would have kept it. And you should have, because it's really fun and way better than the game it originated from.

It's weird. I loved Blue Moon. My kid and I played it lots. I realize that it's not the best game ever but I have so many fond memories of that game that even though we haven't played it in years I'm never getting rid of it. I bought Blue Moon City, played it with the family, they said "meh" so I gave it away. After years of hearing people say it's such a nice game I'm thinking I'm made a mistake, but c'est la vie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
skutsch wrote:
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:

It's weird. I loved Blue Moon. My kid and I played it lots. I realize that it's not the best game ever but I have so many fond memories of that game that even though we haven't played it in years I'm never getting rid of it. I bought Blue Moon City, played it with the family, they said "meh" so I gave it away. After years of hearing people say it's such a nice game I'm thinking I'm made a mistake, but c'est la vie.

Don't worry - Fantasy Flight knows exactly how long they need to wait to do a premium version reprint to capitalize on your low-level remorse. You'll get another chance to be unimpressed then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Criminally underrated gem imo. Plays great with two, awesome tile laying, pasted on farming theme, awesome components. Love this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
2 player only:
Campaign Manager 2008

Good with 2, better with 3 or 4:
Ra: The Dice Game
Police Precinct
Progress: Evolution of Technology
The Expanse Board Game - the lowest ranked game I rate an 8+, but hopefully will rise in the ratings as it gets more circulation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Blomquist
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think all three of these should fit. I've never played any of them at two, but they seem like they would scale well and the BGG player count polls seem to agree.

Lignum (second edition) - Both the first and second editions are rated really low. They're basically the same game except the second edition comes with an included expansion, and is also probably easier to find. This might just be on the edge of the duration you want. But it's a really cool game. It has the same central mechanism as Egizia, where you move down a path taking actions and can never go back up. It also requires a ton of long term planning. The coolest thing are the planned work actions that give you special powers a number of turns after you choose them. So you can plan it to get two on the same round and get a huge action. But the point is that they're only powerful if you're prepared for them, so like everything else in the game you have to plan well for them.

Council of Four - This is a relatively light game, but one with a lot of cool combo/chaining potential. You're sort of building up a sequence of bonuses throughout the game that will keep setting each other off, but at the same time balancing that with the scoring bonus objectives, which generally incentivize you to build in a way that doesn't chain as many bonuses together if you want to get them first. It's just a really cool game that never got the attention it deserved for some reason. Also, there are two versions that look different but play basically the same. I strongly prefer the look of the first edition, from I believe Cranio Creations, but there's also a CMON version. Just be aware of that.

Il Vecchio - Maybe I shouldn't be recommending this one, since I've only played it once at this point, so take this with a grain of salt. But I thought it was a really cool game. Sort of reminded me of Luna in how each turn should be really quick but you can build up a sequence of moves using various bonus tiles to get a ton done. There's a cool spatial element as well. Not sure why this flew completely under the radar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Matt Logan wrote:
Cavum is awesome and works well with 2. I know it has auctions listed in the mechanics, but it's really just a selling phase. I despise auctions. It's definitely worth a look.

The turn order cards are auctioned off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imo, some very nice, not too well known gems are:
Magnum Sal - excavating salt from a salt mine. Very clever and smooth game
Council of 4 - Thurn and Taxis with engine building
Valeria: Card Kingdoms - Machi Koro on steroids with amazing art
Quests of Valeria - Lords of Waterdeep light
Ulm - euro with a action selection mechanism I haven't seen in any other game
Québec - city building/worker placement kind of game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Nolan
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mb
Using the same principle as other people I ended up with these:-

WildLife - Mostly area control. Some elements of building up your species capabilities. A little bit of push your luck. Takes up to six players. Has a very minor auction phase which is typically over very quickly.

Galactic Emperor - I think of this as basically Puerto Rico, with fighting, in space.

Lunch Money - I never realized that this was a 9000+ ranked game. This is almost certain the lowest ranked game I own that I actually want to play. It has a number of features that people don't like such as quite a bit of luck and player elimination. It is good fun and quite tactical though and the short play time means the other issues aren't a deal breaker for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Dirk_M wrote:

A great underrated game - I consider a great area majority descendant of El Grande. But like El Grande, I think it's best with 4 or 5 and would avoid it at 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
Dirk_M wrote:

A great underrated game - I consider a great area majority descendant of El Grande. But like El Grande, I think it's best with 4 or 5 and would avoid it at 2.

Agreed, great game, but not really for 2 players.

I think we've got a bit of the "read-the-title-and-post-without-reading-the-OP" syndrome going on; the previous post mentioned Galactic Emperor, which, while a great under-rated game, is 3-player minimum whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
jblomquist wrote:
But it's a really cool game. It has the same central mechanism as Egizia, where you move down a path taking actions and can never go back up.

This mechanic keeps coming up and it made me go and check something. One of Knizia's smartest designs is the set collecting game Tutankhamen. Its a light filler and like most of its random set-up multi-player abstract brethren takes a little too long to assemble but its 2834 rank is still inexplicable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J .M
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Project Dreamscape
Guns & Steel: Renaissance+Guns & Steel
A print and play of The Kingswood

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mb
Cronberg

Greentown

Die Dolmengötter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Jordheim
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am big into archeology games and I love:

Pergamon
Tikal II: The Lost Temple

I am not sure if they meet your requirements but they are both great games that dont seem to get any press or love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.