Subject: What are your toughs on inserts (like broken token and Daedalus) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hello guys, i just like to know what are everyone toughs on this inserts.

What i think is that most of the time they are very very expensive.

With the money you use to buy one you could easily get a new game or some expansions.

Of course if there is one particlar game you really enjoy, it could be a good investment as set up and tear down time would be hipotetically reduced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What are yout toughs on inserts (loike broken token)
They look pretty cool and I wouldn't knock anyone who purchased their products. I understand the appeal and was tempted a few times myself but never pulled the trigger. I just make my own inserts now days. Foam core is super cheap and you can get it done on a lazy Saturday afternoon.

Here's my DungeonQuest insert

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1868807/my-first-foam-inser...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What are yout toughs on inserts (loike broken token)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Re: What are your toughs on inserts (like broken token)
Doomsword wrote:

fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like a game, you'll be willing to spend more money on it. Spending the money on an insert that organizes things and makes setup + teardown easier/quicker can be worth their weight in gold. There are some games where plano boxes, organizers, and other accessories are practically "mandatory".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like custom inserts, but they are expensive. I like to only buy them for games I am intending to keep for the long term, and then, only if the game really needs it, for one reason or another. Buying the insert for Suburbia was pretty much mandatory, what with all the different tiles. It made the game so much more accessible. I also bought Terraforming Mars, but that was because the original insert had become badly torn. Overall, they do make the game easier to unpack/pack, and make some components more accessible during the game. I haven't used any except The Broken Token, but they're local to me and I like supporting local.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
No One
United States
Burien
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

They make great gifts for board gamers. Much better gifts, in fact, than games.

A gifted insert for a favorite game will be loved. A gifted game might be disliked.

~V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Iradian
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I like a game enough, I will get them. I play Scythe weekly, which has a lot of teardown and setting up. I would've wasted HOURS just setting up a game and tearing it down if it wasn't for the Broken Token insert.

While they are extremely overpriced, and yes I can get a new game for the price of it, I would rather have a few good games with nicer components and inserts over a large list of mediocre board games that will always enternally be stuck on the shelf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanori wrote:
Doomsword wrote:
[IMG

fixed

Should have got all of them (toughs-thoughts)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Spence
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love them, but I'm also a little biased since I started The Broken Token in 2013. Keep in mind that when the company was founded, I was already making products for myself and my friends. I never thought they'd be popular enough to sell. Making a business out of it wasn't really on my mind, much less quitting my day job as a software developer.

Some of our organizers are $15 - $30 dollars, so "expensive" really just depends on your budget I guess. If that organizer saves you an hour every time you play a game, and its for a game that you'll play once a month, is it worth that cost to save 12 hours of your time in a year?

Obviously some of our products get much more expensive like the Firefly Crate or Gloomhaven Organizer. All of their prices are determined by how much material they use and how much laser time it takes to produce one. We're tackling bigger games that have more components. We're also going beyond simple organization and adding new game components and higher quality game components, like with our Terraforming Mars organizer. This product includes the awesome player trays, upgraded acrylic tokens, a card shoe to make it easier to access the cards on the table and upgraded start-player marker. Our goal is to not only save you time that you can spend doing fun things with your friends and family, but to increase your enjoyment from the game itself. Listening to our customers, I think we've been pretty successful at that.

That said, we're always looking for ways to cut costs and keep prices down, but we also won't sacrifice quality and customer service to do that.

I'm always happy to answer questions any of you might have. Just ask!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Doomsword wrote:
Tanori wrote:
Doomsword wrote:
[IMG

fixed

Should have got all of them (toughs-thoughts)

sorry, english is not my first (not even second) language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen W
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve got Broken Token inserts for a couple of games - they’re great, they reduce setup time to practically nil and they keep everything very tidy - no more sprawling piles of components taking up lots of table space. Plus they were fun to make.

They are expensive though, and do make the games heavier, so I think I’ll have to consider making foam core inserts for future games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I Broken Token every game I own for which they offer an insert. I love them.

There again, I also sleeve everything, which makes insufficient every factory insert I have. I applaud the insert for, say, Pathfinder ACG–it's really great!–but it just doesn't work with sleeved cards. Not the sleeves I use anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had more poor experiences than good with inserts. I know Broken Token is liked, but they are pricey and, in my experience, do not always suit the box. Their Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game insert is pretty great, but a few others (particularly the "general" ones) haven't been useful. Also, basically worthless if you stack your games on their spine.

I did get the special Terraforming Mars insert and found that nice because it didn't just organize, but genuinely improved part of the product (your player board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Im really really considering the insert for Scythe, as our more played game im really really interested, however, the next expansion is holding me up and the final (thats not even anounced) is holding me too...

gspence wrote:
I love them, but I'm also a little biased since I started The Broken Token in 2013. Keep in mind that when the company was founded, I was already making products for myself and my friends. I never thought they'd be popular enough to sell. Making a business out of it wasn't really on my mind, much less quitting my day job as a software developer.

Some of our organizers are $15 - $30 dollars, so "expensive" really just depends on your budget I guess. If that organizer saves you an hour every time you play a game, and its for a game that you'll play once a month, is it worth that cost to save 12 hours of your time in a year?

Obviously some of our products get much more expensive like the Firefly Crate or Gloomhaven Organizer. All of their prices are determined by how much material they use and how much laser time it takes to produce one. We're tackling bigger games that have more components. We're also going beyond simple organization and adding new game components and higher quality game components, like with our Terraforming Mars organizer. This product includes the awesome player trays, upgraded acrylic tokens, a card shoe to make it easier to access the cards on the table and upgraded start-player marker. Our goal is to not only save you time that you can spend doing fun things with your friends and family, but to increase your enjoyment from the game itself. Listening to our customers, I think we've been pretty successful at that.

That said, we're always looking for ways to cut costs and keep prices down, but we also won't sacrifice quality and customer service to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they are a unnecessary expense.

Most custom inserts cost as much or more than I want to pay for a game.

Either using the original insert or tossing it and bagging is plenty for me.

In my Scythe base box I have

Scythe: Invaders from Afar
Scythe: Promo Pack #1
Scythe: Promo Pack #2
Scythe: Promo Pack #3
Scythe: Promo Pack #4
The expansion board
All the metal coins
All cards sleeved

I splurged for storage and bought 10 of the plastic bit containers (under $1.00 ea)for storage once I realized they help fit everything perfect.

The BT insert is $49.99 + S&H. It is nice but the game was under $60 for me so it just seems too much for me.

I would rather spend my limited budget on more games, that's me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gspence wrote:

You know what'd be super-awesome? Something-or-other to assist rolling up the playmats for the Legendary games! Like a dowel with a slit milled down the length of it that is the thickness of the playmat. Feed in a bit of mat, then roll up the mat tightly around the dowel!

Or do I just suck at mat rolling? I've already made peace with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two and I love them both.. Both purchased so that I could fit the base game and all expansions in the same box. King of Tokyo and Lords of Waterdeep. I'll probably get the Blood Rage one after I start painting my minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Dostradamas wrote:

The expansion board
All the metal coins
All cards sleeved

I splurged for storage and bought 10 of the plastic bit containers (under $1.00 ea)for storage once I realized they help fit everything perfect.

The BT insert is $49.99 + S&H. It is nice but the game was under $60 for me so it just seems too much for me.

Id love to see how do you put every thing in the box.

In the original Scythe box i have all the miniatures, tokens, resources and board (and the extension).

And in the Invaders from a far box i have all the player and factions mats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
slydog75 wrote:
I have two and I love them both.. Both purchased so that I could fit the base game and all expansions in the same box. King of Tokyo and Lords of Waterdeep. I'll probably get the Blood Rage one after I start painting my minis.

Is there really any reason for a Blood Rage insert?

I have only the base game and my personal opinion is that is one of the few games that really dont need an insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanori wrote:
Dostradamas wrote:

The expansion board
All the metal coins
All cards sleeved

Id love to see how do you put every thing in the box.

In the original Scythe box i have all the miniatures, tokens, resources and board (and the extension).

And in the Invaders from a far box i have all the player and factions mats.

I should take some picks anyhow. Took me long enough to figure it out.
Tomorrow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanori wrote:
slydog75 wrote:

I have only the base game and my personal opinion is that is one of the few games that really dont need an insert.

If a person invested the time and money to paint all the minis I can see the value in an insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm largely in agreement with you Tanori.

There are a couple games I'd like to get inserts for though as they're games that are played a lot but have a really lengthy set-up.

The only exception is Firefly: The Game. It doesn't get played but it was the game that brought me into the hobby and one that I really love. I want to get the Big Damn Crate to store all the expansions and extras I have for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically I find Plano boxes organize better although there are some games where custom inserts are immensely helpful. Millennium Blades comes to mind immediately as a game that I feel the insert makes the game better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb

This is a real question:

would the original plastic packages for the miniatures damage the paint?

If it does, then its completly necessary

Dostradamas wrote:
Tanori wrote:
slydog75 wrote:

If a person invested the time and money to paint all the minis I can see the value in an insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.