Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Davis - Personal
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: What are your toughs on inserts (like broken token)
Couldn't be more of a waste of money.

Ziploc bags and Plano boxes work perfectly.

Expensive inserts are like big fancy gaming tables - just ways for rich nerds to scream LOOK HOW INTO THE HOBBY I AM! I'M WAY MORE INTO THE HOBBY THAN YOU ARE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I like things arnmod
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very happy with my Broken Token inserts... except when I decide to sell the game, then I am sad I spent the money on the insert. (I sell games at flea markets, not for anything like they are worth.) However, as long as I keep the game I'm pleased.

edit: I almost forgot: LOOK HOW INTO THE HOBBY I AM! I'M WAY MORE INTO THE HOBBY THAN YOU ARE!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can take or leave 'em, and they're hardly a deciding point for whether I buy a game or not. That, coupled with the fact that a significant number of them aren't well designed (e.g. all the components don't fit, or are difficult to remove when stored in the insert) means that it's not uncommon for me to toss the insert in the trash right from the start. Another common issue I find myself having to deal with is that even well designed inserts are quickly rendered obsolete once an expansion to a game is released, and I typically end up tossing the insert in order to make room for the additional components. Honestly, I'd prefer to have a game's price dropped by a buck or two and have no insert.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ry Scales
New Zealand
Henderson
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to have inserts for some of my games, but with leaving not in the USA
The shipping makes them not economical to purchase

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RingelTree wrote:
I am very happy with my Broken Token inserts... except when I decide to sell the game, then I am sad I spent the money on the insert. (I sell games at flea markets, not for anything like they are worth.) However, as long as I keep the game I'm pleased.

edit: I almost forgot: LOOK HOW INTO THE HOBBY I AM! I'M WAY MORE INTO THE HOBBY THAN YOU ARE!

Thanks for that.

I needed a good laugh this afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Jukes
United States
Simi Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For most games, I don't think they are necessary (although nice to have).

For some games, they can make an enormous difference.

Case in point: Caverna: The Cave Farmers

The Broken Token insert I have takes an overly long setup time and reduces it to a very short setup time. Well worth whatever I paid for it at a convention! We're not talking a saving of a couple minutes per play. We're talking saving fifteen minutes to a half hour on setup. That's a big deal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool looking, but the smoke isn't good for inserts or anything else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HLW10 wrote:
They are expensive though, and do make the games heavier, so I think I’ll have to consider making foam core inserts for future games.

Just checking, but I'm assuming you're strictly referring the foam to the wood? In cases where you store expansions along with the base game box, of course it's going to be heavier

Also.. are they really that much more heavier? I figured the total amount of material added up would be more on the trivial side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, they aren't worth the money, but they seem really nice and I know people who like them.

The cheaper alternative is making your own sweet inserts with foamcore. I really like that, but it is time-consuming. Once I bought some materials to start doing foamcore, I found how cheap it could be. I bought a big pack on Amazon and have made multiple inserts without using half of it yet. Much cheaper if you don't consider the time. If I instead just worked more overtime at work I could make the money faster, but then there isn't the extra fun "I made this" end of it, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pickle the Hutt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like any of the usual inserts, I hate the wooden stuff. I've started to make my own foamcore inserts instead (I hate having dozens of baggies) with Plano type boxes for tokens. I like being able to organize things to my tastes rather than someone else's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rowdy Scarlett
United States
Boulder Creek
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not Necessarily Inaccurate Videos at- http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3A6D4E8F2B74B110
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. Unless the game really needs it, I'll pass (I have one for Caverna, btw). I'd rather spend the money on another game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual wrote:

Also.. are they really that much more heavier? I figured the total amount of material added up would be more on the trivial side.

In some cases, yes. The Terraforming Mars insert adds a lot of heft as it also includes wooden player trays (to replace the cards) with [what I think is] MDF bottoms. One of the best inserts in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:

Expensive inserts are like big fancy gaming tables - just ways for rich nerds to scream LOOK HOW INTO THE HOBBY I AM! I'M WAY MORE INTO THE HOBBY THAN YOU ARE!

So is sleeving cards OK or nah? Painting figures? How about just ONE figure?

Why even buy board games at all when we can use sticks and rocks?

I don't even use sticks or rocks.

I just think of the game I want to play, and then "play" it in my head. I call it the "iGame." So all you "rich nerds" can keep wasting your money to show off how much you're into the hobby, when I can play all the games I want, anytime I want, free of charge!

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
gspence wrote:
Some of our organizers are $15 - $30 dollars, so "expensive" really just depends on your budget I guess.

No need to guess. Just figure the cost of the insert relative to the cost the game itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Broken Token’s inserts. I wish I had em in all my games. Prices I think are pretty fair, but since they technically take away from my gaming budget I tend to just get them for games they really benefit. Gloomhaven, most of Uwe’s big games, I’ll get the Scythe one soon.

Like em though. Great quality, impressive design specially speaking, and I’ll continue to buy from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
I thought inserts we're silly until I played Castles of Mad King Ludwig and spent about 10 minutes removing tiles from baggies, and setting up. When I realized my wife loved the game, I knew I needed to shorten the setup time. I picked up an insert and now setup is a matter of seconds. Later I got an insert for Caverna: The Cave Farmers. I had used Plano boxes previously but that was still not ideal. The insert not only helps with setup but organization, and gameplay as well. My third insert is for Terraforming Mars. The only reason I got it was to replace the player boards so the cubes don't move around if bumped. The organization and improved setup is a bonus. I found that I do enjoy building the inserts so I see it as a side hobby, sort of like painting. However, I am reluctant to buy an insert unless the game really needs it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Robinson

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
We recently bought a number of Broken Token inserts to consolidate expansions into boxes, particularly when cards are sleeved. It is nice to have everything together. It is nice to find the starting decks. I really don't care if anyone ever sees them other than us. Our success with fit has been a bit variable but I have been overall pleased with how they go together and how it makes a difference. We are not going to do it if we don't think we will replay the game frequently. It can be a monetary trade off, but sometimes a more enjoyable experience with a favorite game is worth more than buying a new game we may or may not like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Ironat
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
ct5150 wrote:
gspence wrote:
Some of our organizers are $15 - $30 dollars, so "expensive" really just depends on your budget I guess.

No need to guess. Just figure the cost of the insert relative to the cost the game itself.

This.

For me the relative cost to the game is what makes it expensive.

For example, for Scythe I paid 55 usd.

And the prices of the inserts are:

Broken token: 49.99 (plus shipping and tax)

Daedalus: 45 (plus shipping and tax)

So... for me those are expensive prices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Prince
Canada
Lacombe
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does nobody else worry about the acids in the wood damaging the game?

Obviously the paper/cardboard components aren't of archival quality, and I won't be playing the game 50 years from now, but storing a valued game in something that breaks it down faster seems counter-intuitive to me.

I have the Broken Token insert for Codenames (it's a cheap game), but I just can't bring myself to use them for any others I own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
nukesniper wrote:
If I instead just worked more overtime at work I could make the money faster, but then there isn't the extra fun "I made this" end of it, either.

There's also burnout to consider. If I put in overtime for every luxury purchase I made I would probably end up hating my job. Choosing between an additional 3 hours at work or 10 hours making stuff at home is easy for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Inserts aren't necessarily for storage. Most FFG inserts are designed only for transport, so that the customer has an intact game with undamaged components. (Replacing parts can be costly.)

For many gamers, space is a premium, and most game boxes sell air. Some games have expansions, so an organizer would definitely help them.

As a painter, I've noticed custom organizers on KS, for workspace use, travel sets, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Waste of money better spent on new games. Plastic bags all I need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually put them on my Christmas list for my wife. I enjoy putting them together and they really do make game setup significantly faster.

With that said, I really only look to get inserts for games I play often or games where the pieces are practically spilling out of the box. I’m looking at you, Talisman!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tanori wrote:
slydog75 wrote:
I have two and I love them both.. Both purchased so that I could fit the base game and all expansions in the same box. King of Tokyo and Lords of Waterdeep. I'll probably get the Blood Rage one after I start painting my minis.

Is there really any reason for a Blood Rage insert?

I have only the base game and my personal opinion is that is one of the few games that really dont need an insert.

You can fit the game and all expansions in the core box with an insert. I suppose you can also do that if you scrap the existing packaging and bag the contents. But, that can mess up paint jobs and potentially break more fragile bits like shares.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For games I love that could use the organization and ease of setup, I'll happily buy them. I have one for Imperial Assault that makes everything easier. I'm still putting together my Gloomhaven Broken Token insert, but what's completed so far seems great.

I would buy a really good organizer for Small World, but settled for some craft containers and baggies. And, I'll probably get ones for Anachrony and Blood Rage at some point.

Other games I'm happy to use the existing insert or baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.