8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [MM] Eminent Domain + Exotica Expansion - $30 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Mcgamin
msg tools
mbmb
Miniature Market is selling the Eminent Domain base game PLUS the Exotica Expansion for only $30! This is a great price for this game and if you get it now you'll be ready for the upcoming Oblivion expansion!

MM LINK - GET IT NOW

BGG Info (These are included in the deal):
Eminent Domain
Exotica

Other Expansions for Eminent Domain (These are not included):
Oblivion
Escalation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Mighty juicy deal there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Sanders
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the info.

Any feedback from folks on how this compares to San Juan (second edition)? That has been on my short list of games to buy. We already own Dominion and 7 Wonders, so I don't really want to add 2 more deck/tableau builders right now when I plan on buying several more games over the holiday sales.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin
msg tools
mbmb
autiger90 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Any feedback from folks on how this compares to San Juan (second edition)? That has been on my short list of games to buy. We already own Dominion and 7 Wonders, so I don't really want to add 2 more deck/tableau builders right now when I plan on buying several more games over the holiday sales.

I have only played San Juan as a mobile app so I can comment on the differences assuming the app version is more or less the same as the physical version.

The biggest difference is in Eminent Domain the roles you select determine the makeup of your deck. For example, each time you choose the Warfare Role your warfare abilities are increased for the remainder of the game because by selecting that role you add a warfare card to your deck.

Another big difference is the cards that go into your deck never go into your tableau. Only planets are placed in front of you.

In Eminent Domain you do use cards to "pay" for things but not in the same way. For example, if you want to colonize a planet (flip a planet in your tableau) you can pay for it over the course of several turns using colonize cards. Once the colonization is complete the cards you used go back into your deck and are not discarded. Or perhaps you save up warships and attack the planet.

Eminent Domain also has a large collection of powerful technology cards that can be acquired when you have enough planets colonized. These cards change the feel of every game.

The follow mechanic in Eminent Domain is also different. When someone selects a role you can follow their action and boost it with similar cards from your own hand. So for example if someone chooses the warfare role and picks up a warship then you can drop 4 warfare cards and pick up 4 ships for yourself! And there are no restrictions on how many times a role can be played in a round. So if I pick colonize, you can pick colonize and someone else can pick colonize, we can all pick colonize! But by doing that the game will end quickly because the game ends by depleting a certain number of role card stacks (depending on the number of players).

Obviously I'm a fan. I own 7 wonders, RftG and Eminent Domain and I think they are all sufficiently different. I probably wont buy San Juan however because I get my fix for that type of game with RftG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hammel
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
autiger90 wrote:
Thanks for the info.

I don't feel like ED plays like those other games really all that much at all, despite sharing some mechanical similarities. San Juan is probably the closest, and even then, I feel like this is just a little more robust than that because of how the action selection interacts with the deck building.

DC680 wrote:
I own 7 wonders, RftG and Eminent Domain and I think they are all sufficiently different. I probably wont buy San Juan however because I get my fix for that type of game with RftG.

I agree with this. I would add Villages of Valaria and Jump Drive to the list as the gateway level games for this category.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Tang
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great timing, OP. Have been looking at the base game for a while now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a better deal. I'll do $40 trade value with base game, Excotica and Escalation! Haha. Been looking for someone to trade my content to. Base game has "play wear" and the expansions are unplayed.

PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EmDo is straightforward. The difficulty in learning it is the tech cards. The game is vastly improved by the first expansion. Not bad by any means with the base game. It is rather tight in its play, but it is closer to San Juan first edition without the expansion. Colonize tends to be strong in the base game and warfare gets better with the first expansion. It is a solid attempt at being a 4x card game even if the 4x aspect isn't the strongest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.