I found Clue the DVD Game at a thrift store for a couple of dollars. After seeing Tom on the Dice Tower talk it up I figured I'd give it a chance.
Here is a brief review as I attempt to review every game from my collection.
The components are quite good. The game board is nice looking and of good quality. The Player pawns are nice sculpted miniatures that look like the characters in the game. The cards are of good quality and the extra bits, magnifying glass instructions etc are all of rather good quality for a mass production game.
The game is very similar to classic clue. The object of the game is to determine who the thief is, what they stole, where it was taken, and when they did it.
A player selects one of the standard mysteries or a randomly generated one on the DVD.
Each player receives a portion of the cards, but some are held back and are not in play. This creates imperfect information. They are released or revealed over time within the game.
Events will occur as players move about the house, and actions done with the dvd also add elements of unpredictability.
The game speeds up over time as the DVD will cause everyone to have to reveal cards meaning this game will not last forever.
I played this game with my wife, my sister, and my nieces. It was definitely better than classic clue. There was more excitement, and it was more challenging. The loss of the dice was a welcome feature, and the DVD wasn't actually terrible. It ended with a close finish and my niece winning.
- It is inexpensive found readily at many thrift stores
- It is similar enough to clue to be familiar and nonthreatening to casual gamers, but adds more.
- It has an inbuilt time limit
- The miniatures are really nice
- The DVD, while it isn't too bad it is a hassle to figure out how to watch the DVD while playing the game.
- While the game has a time limit it can be rather slow paced at larger player counts.
Responses to Cons.
- This hassle can be solved with a laptop and is a minor challenge for most.
- Play at lower player counts for a quicker game.
Clue the DVD Game is a nice game that succeeds at what it tries to do, be a better version of Clue. That said it is not better than most of my other games and so I gave it to my nieces when they left as they really enjoyed it and will get more play from it.
I rate this game an 6/10