Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
nick name
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found a copy of Love letter at a game store in Springfield, MO. I had heard good things about this game, and it was cheap, so I picked it up to try as a short fun game with my wife.

Components

The game is made up of a small deck of cards, and some red wooden cubes all stored in a fabric pouch.
All are high quality, with very nice art work.
The rule book is short, simple, and easy to understand.

Game Play

The game begins with each player drawing one card, then the player whose turn it is draws a second card. Each card has an action/power, the player whose turn it is activates one of these cards. Some are to cause yourself or your opponent to discard, or to peek at your opponents card, or to trade hands, or to attempt to guess your opponent's card.
If you can successfully guess, then your opponent loses.
If your opponent has to discard the princess they lose, otherwise it is the last player with the highest card that wins.

This is played for a series of rounds until someone has won the proscribed number of times. We usually play to 3 or 7.

The theme is that you are trying to get a love letter to the princess, and having a higher ranking helper will make you more likely to succeed.

Our Experience

We found this to be a really fun short small game. It is simple enough that almost anyone can play it, and quick and portable enough to be played anywhere. I've played it with family, friends, in groups of 4,3, and 2. It works equally well with all, but is a bit more challenging with more players.

Pros.

- It is portable, you can take it out to eat, easily to a game night, or just have it in your pocket just in case, without even noticing it.
- It is simple to learn and play, so it can appeal to a large group
- It is inexpensive and widely available
- It is an attractive micro game.

Cons.
- It can be a bit too simple, it doesn't have a lot of depth.
- It only plays 4

Responses to Cons.

- It isn't trying to be deep, so it succeeds in what it is doing.
- There is a larger version of the game that plays more, but if I have more than 4 people I would rather choose a different game anyway.

Final Thoughts
Love Letter is a wonderful micro game. It is quick, portable, beautiful, and fun. It isn't one of our favorite games, but from time to time it is the perfect game to bring along. If you're looking for a fun date night restaurant game, consider love letter. You may just love it.
I rate this game an 9/10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.