nick name
United States
Appleton City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed a copy of this game in a "Flea Market" game shop. It had been marked down to something like $7, and I vaguely remembered Tom Vassal of the Dice Tower saying something positive about it, so I picked it up with hopes of using it for my church board game nights.

Components

The game has a quite striking board, that must be assembled before each play. It is pride rock, a mountainous formation with the pride lands below.

Has 4 plastic character figures that are nicely sculpted and painted. It also contains several standees of the villains from the Lion King franchise.
It also contains a deck of fair to good quality cards.

The overall look of the game is quite appealing.

Game Play
The game is cooperative, and the goal is to have the lion, Simba's son, reach to top of Pride rock so that he can roar and scare all the bad guys away.

This movement is done using the card deck, unfortunately the villains also will increase and slowly move toward the center of the board. If they reach the center of the board the players lose.

The cards the players draw usually allow for 2 actions, only one of which may be chosen. Usually to move one of the characters. The other three good guy characters can be used to knock the villains back, thereby buying more time for the Lion to ascend.

It is a nice balancing act with meaningful choices for kids.

Our experience
We found this game to be fun, attractive and well put together. It must be remembered that this is a children's game, so the level of difficulty is relatively low compared to other cooperative game. That being said it is perfect for my church game night, especially for the younger kids.

Pros
- The table presence and appeal to the passing gamer
- The meaningful decisions for kids
- the group play which allows for teaching and helping in a group

Cons
- having to disassemble the game after playing
- Alpha gamer problems
- the game is too easy
- no bad guy miniatures

Responses to the Cons
- breakdown is annoying, but not terribly difficult
- We haven't had alpha gamer problems, but if this does happen, an adult may just have to step in and teach good gaming etiquette.
- This game is appropriately difficult for the intended audience
- while they have standees they have nice art, and more miniatures would have increased the cost.

Final Thoughts

I'm really glad I picked up this game. It is a fun game with a good theme for kids. It makes a nice addition to the game for family fun night. Sometimes it is just used as a toy, but other times it shines as a good first cooperative game.

I rate this game a 9/10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.