Subject: Gillie & Patches vs Nom - Really 1 Gearlock vs 7 Baddies???!!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well thanks to the Poll I did on Tyrant difficulty, I chose Nom as one of the easier ones to go up against, especially with 2 GL's which is apparently harder in most situations, and this was only my 2nd game. Played the first on Greenhorn, won against Mulmesh with Picket and Boom Boom, this time on Casual.

Things mostly went along swimmingly, I knew what I was going to face against Nom, another reason I picked this pair up, so I started building towards that end of things. I gave Gillie some defense and health early on, then Multi-arrow and the Wolverine, really like both of these and made good use of them early on. I think I took Piercing Arrow next, which would be needed for Nom but paid off in other encounters too. Then I took Woven Snare, boy did that come in handy, and both times I placed it, it reduced a 3 Atk baddie down to a 1, yesssss. Lastly I took Return Fire and the Falcon, both were wasted really, it was late in the campaign and I think I used return fire once as I got Melee after Melee baddie, and I just didn't really need the other pet (though may have used it if I had more dex). Gillie found a REALLY nice treasure about 1/3 of the way in, the Reinforced Buckler, an extra defense roll that does not count towards the limit, noice!

For Patches I went with Medkit, an ATK & Def, 1 Dex, then Fast hands, Med Pack, toxins and finally Zappack.

Going into the final battle, it was day 7 so 7 x 2 = 14, two 5's on top, four 1's under then Nom. My plan was to have Gillie go first, then Patches and then revive Gillie to get in Nom's face again.

So, interesting start, I had the Skinning Knife, and got really lucky here, 3 of the baddies matched and ended up last on the Ini meter, I think I rolled quite high anyway. I'm thinking wow, 1 against 4 here how the F am I going to get through this. Well, as luck would have it again, all 4 were Melee, hmmmm. Okay, I stuck Gillie in the corner, and seen that only 2 would be able to get to me this way, saweeet!

Gillie goes first, rolls a 2 on woven snare, yes! I stick that in front of the Kobold Fanatic, who goes next but is severely neutered now from 3atk to 1....bwaahahaha. Next 2 baddies could not reach me, this left a 1pt Troll Brute to corner me, with 1 atk 1 def. I let these guys piddle away at me, while I beat on the 5pt Troll Enforcer behind them. Eventually I took him out, but also took on some damage of my own, these buggers were rolling only one die but got a 2 a couple of times, I ate some berries This brought another 1pt baddie on , ranged this time, right as the Fatigue round was starting. Everyone took damage, at this point I was equal with the Kobold beside me, and I thought, I need to get the edge on him so he dies before I do. He had hardy, so one cut at a time I did, and I started thinking, "hey Patches, you might as well have a beer you won't be needed here today, enjoy the show I'll just kill all 7 of these arse wipes myself"

And then it happened, the other 1pt came on, everyone took damage, and in no time they were all dead!!!! I still had 2 health, okay so I wasn't jumping up and down I was definitely in need of some patches, maybe I won't be able to also take down Nom (but maybe I will!) but hey I just single-handedly took down 6 baddies, woot! Now Nom, I saved Piercing arrow for him as I think I only rolled atk dice against the others (3). Nom is sitting there with 2 def (he went first, missed his 1 die atk), I think I rolled a 3, it didn't matter this die is sweet it has no bones on it, I rolled 3 for 3 on attack dice, so Nom just got cut in half just like that! Unfortunately I had used some bones up prior, so didn't have Broadhead to finish him off, and instead the Fatigue round finished me off.

"Okay Patches, sorry to interrupt, but you'll have to step in the ring now."
Patches got cozy with Nom right off the hop, and looking at his 2 atk dice available, figured rolling them would be a waste of time with Thick Skin 3. He opted for Toxins, Zappack for Gillie if needed, and 2 def. Got the zappack, a 5 too maxed it yehaw Nom your going downnnn! Missed toxins, got 1 def. He hit me for 1, we both took damage from fatigue but then both heal, then I hit with toxins on next atk, a 2, maxed another one!!!!! That was the end for Nom, 2 true damage this turn, 1 next turn, and ba-bye adios muchaco.

Never expected quite that outcome, I did get some luck no doubt about it, but I finished it with quite a bit of "back up" still left too.

Fun ride, TMB:U and AoT are going to be sweet additions, thanks CTG if you see this

ps - I realize now I think I cheated a little by not rolling defense for the Troll enforcer, he could not attack me so did not roll for him but he had 2 def dice I did not roll....ooops. He should have yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Schachtner
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
I like to play games solo or over hangouts.
badge
Nothing to see here, madness.
mbmbmbmbmb
flowercita wrote:

ps - I realize now I think I cheated a little by not rolling defense for the Troll enforcer, he could not attack me so did not roll for him but he had 2 def dice I did not roll....ooops. He should have yes?

If he didn't already have max defensive dice on his Chip, then yes. But we won't tell him that if you don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good job! thumbsup

Minor point: I presume you had e-cells for Patches. Cause he needs them to use his Zap-pack (it's a common mistake to forget that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
Good job! thumbsup

Minor point: I presume you had e-cells for Patches. Cause he needs them to use his Zap-pack (it's a common mistake to forget that).

Thanks George! Oh boy, well, good thing I didn't actually need to use it then! modest

Count me as another who missed it. Thank you for pointing that out, that puts a bit of a new light on it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh you might like this side note I missed, I got Encounter 2 on the 4th or 5th day, it was my only failed Encounter....

I got another Encounter after that worth 2, kind of made up for it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flowercita wrote:
Oh you might like this side note I missed, I got Encounter 2 on the 4th or 5th day, it was my only failed Encounter....

Haha..

Were you playing with the 2nd edition encounter card? (which was edited slightly so ranged gearlocs are the only ones that can act in round 1?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep that was the one, I chose the top option, figured it was only a 5 pointer with 2 GL's.... gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindy
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was a fun write-up!

I just had a fantastic adventure with Picket and Tantrum against Nom. They lost day 2 (believe it or not!) and again a couple days later. I was afraid I wouldn't have enough progress points, let alone have a chance against Nom. But I made it to the last day - Nom + 16 Baddie Points. I sent in Picket first, thinking he could put a dent in some of the 5pt baddies, then Tantrum could come in and mop up. Picket had the Buckler and Zelfey Seeds. He put on an amazing show and soon it was just Nom vs Picket and fatigue was setting in. Fatigue doesn't faze Nom, and Picket was having a tough time getting even 1 damage on him. Round 8 (or maybe 9, I kind of lost count!) and they both had 1 health chip left. Picket would die from fatigue next round. Tantrum was ready to come in, but now it was personal! Picket rolled. Success!!!! He got the damage he needed to finish Nom off! It was one of the most tense, fun climaxes I've played yet!

I LOVE this game!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mrs. Vickies CHIPS
Canada
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks glad you liked it, one more nail-biter to come!

Indeed it sounds you like had an equally fun game and exciting finish!

It's been said before that the amount of tactical considerations for just a 4 x 4 map are crazy, and they really nailed this design on that and many other fronts, including the balance of the campaigns to have these kind of tense finishes. It is quite a feat really, when you consider it is a dice game, and yet it feels like most times luck is playing quite a small part, this was a most pleasant surprise for me.

CTG we salute you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.