15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Hot Deals

Subject: [AMAZON] Queen game METRO (reprint) $11.17 and falling ... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
sta was
msg tools
links ...

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Metro-Family-Board-Game-Player/dp/B01...

BGG:Metro

*lowest per camels
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
Been watching this too, but its easily the worst version component wise of Metro/Cable Car.

The trains in every other version are wood, while they are cardboard chits in this version. If anyone is interested in Metro and other games, because of shipping, it appears that the older version is on sale for $10 at the Fantasy Flight Holiday Sale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RandomHumanoid BoardGamingUnit
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
Been watching this too, but its easily the worst version component wise of Metro/Cable Car.

The trains in every other version are wood, while they are cardboard chits in this version. If anyone is interested in Metro and other games, because of shipping, it appears that the older version is on sale for $10 at the Fantasy Flight Holiday Sale.

I passed on Cable Car when it was CCC lowest price ever. Kicking myself ever since. Is this the one with large cardboard squares?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bock
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rhcu008 wrote:

I passed on Cable Car when it was CCC lowest price ever. Kicking myself ever since. Is this the one with large cardboard squares?

I'm waiting on the next Cable Car drop, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
rhcu008 wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

Its kind of hard to tell how large the tiles in photos, but in the The Dice Tower review of the 2017 version, the tiles seem bigger than Caracassone size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RandomHumanoid BoardGamingUnit
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
rhcu008 wrote:
Bgg_Lurker wrote:

Its kind of hard to tell how large the tiles in photos, but in the The Dice Tower review of the 2017 version, the tiles seem bigger than Caracassone size.

That's what I thought. I am okay with it. However I like the train miniature style more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
I urge anyone exploring this type of game to look at this review HERE which compares Metro/Cablecar to Streetcar/Linie 1.

Metro/Cablecar are very repetitive games and feel like extended versions of Tsuro. None of these games are of course deep, but Streetcar/Linie 1 offers a tiny bit more meat. I know I would never agree to play Metro/Cablecar now that I own Linie 1.

If you do seek out Streetcar/Linie 1 just be aware that there's a rule difference between the two - from what I can tell most people prefer the rules of the older Linie 1 and use them when playing Streetcar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocky V
United States
INDIANAPOLIS
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Looks like the new version of Metro comes with expansions but its not mentioned in the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Lurker
msg tools
mbmb
rocky9555 wrote:
Looks like the new version of Metro comes with expansions but its not mentioned in the description.

The 2017 edition comes with the stock market expansion, but so does Cable Car. I'm not sure if the original Metro printing had it included, but no expansions are listed on BGG and Queen has a habit of putting "expansions" in base games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
rocky9555 wrote:

The 2017 edition comes with the stock market expansion, but so does Cable Car. I'm not sure if the original Metro printing had it included, but no expansions are listed on BGG and Queen has a habit of putting "expansions" in base games.

I have the original Metro and it did not have it included. I did use a file from the BGG page to do a print and play version of it, though. All you need is more colors (extra cubes or whatever for the cars and score markers) and the stock cards, which I just used a printout and laminated it.

That said, I'd probably just get Cable Car at this point. The score track on Metro is awful, although it's a little easier to see the paths on the tiles compared to Cable Car, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The box shown on Amazon looks to be the new edition with a couple additional expansions added in. I have a copy arriving today. When it shows up I’ll reply if it is indeed the new release with extra content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Bgg_Lurker wrote:
rocky9555 wrote:

The expansions for Metro (2017) are: (Comment edited)
blindsorrow wrote:

the stockholding expansion from S.F. Cable Car, now called
-Expansion Module 1: Metro Companies (combinable with expansions 2 and 3, below)

-Expansion Module 2: Metro Stations (one additional train car token in the eight colors to claim CENTRAL station lines as an optional action during play)[combinable with expansions 1 and 4],

-Expansion Module 3: Central Tracks (8 tiles, 4 of which are chosen at a time, that remove/cover the central station with variable tracks so all train lines will terminate at edge of board)[combinable with expansions 1 and 4],
and

-Expansion Module 4: Station Numbers (gives players an adjustable number of hidden objectives for extra points using 32 station-number tokens)[combinable with expansions 2 and 3].

Original blindsorrow comment
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow. I only knew about the stock expansion. That other ones sound neat, though not nearly as game-changing as the stocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Michigan
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the package. It was indeed the 2017 release. The board and tiles are smaller than Cable Car and the only wooden components are the score markers. The cards for the stock expansion are now regular vs the mini cards previously.

On the plus side, the box is a decent amount smaller than Cable Car. I combined both games into the Metro box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I bit. The wooden trains don't matter that much to me since they aren't actually used for anything in the game other than denoting which stations go to which colors.

If anyone is interested in the old version and is going to BGG Con, I listed my older version for cheap at the Virtual Flea Market: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/230566/item/5762977#item5...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.