Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Euro games that have a solo variant that warrants a purchase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
I posted on 1PG and I'll post here too to get more perspectives about this. I've been enjoying a lot Terraforming Mars and Race for the Galaxy solo lately, and I bought them for that purpose for now, because I have no gaming group where I'm living now (yet!).

When I get to game with others, is more casual, and I have a pretty good selection to these situations IMHO, but one thing that I really like is those mid-weight (or mid to heavy) Euro games. I know weight is subjective, but let's say I'm talking about The Castles of Burgundy or Orléans.

I've got to see these games with amazing mechanisms like The Voyages of Marco Polo, Concordia, Keyflower and Grand Austria Hotel and I want to buy them, but not to sit on the shelf until I find some people to play with. I've considered Agricola (revised edition) (had a few years ago and sold, don't know if the solo variant is enough to purchase again), Viticulture Essential Edition (I know the solo is strong, but I'm not sold on the game yet, I guess) and Clans of Caledonia (read some mixed reviews about the solo).

My question is, from the games above, are there solo variants that would made me play the game until I have a gaming group again (it can be unofficial)? Or suggestions of euros on that tier of weight that does have good solo variants. If it's still fun to play, some simple win condition, cards/tiles being taken away, random setup, etc., I don't know. Something to create that variety and that'll allow me to play the game by myself for now.

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Kendrick
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This is not normal.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
A Feast for Odin is an incredible solo game.

You could also look at Luna
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
There's are alot of good euro apps on both android & ios if you want to try before you buy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Morris
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything by Uwe Rosenberg is a good bet. My personal favorite though is Le Havre.

I also like the solo variant for Pax Porfiriana but that may be stretching the definition of "Euro" a bit.

I've heard great things about the solo variant of The Networks as well but can't attest to that from personal experience as I've only played this with 3 to 5 players, never solo. I can personally attest to the awesomeness of the game as a multiplayer game though.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia is worth a look. There's plenty of variety in the base box with the different trains plus there's now so many additional scenarios, promo trains etc, etc.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
apkendrick wrote:
A Feast for Odin is an incredible solo game.

You could also look at Luna


A Feast for Odin will be released around here next year, it's quite expensive to import right now. Isn't Luna more static? Like, same setup, goals, etc.?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Tullis wrote:
There's are alot of good euro apps on both android & ios if you want to try before you buy.


I don't like to play board games on my phone or ipad, I don't know why. I have some, but just played a few times (the exception being Onirim... really quick without all the shuffling). When I'm playing a board game, I'm doing so partly because of the tactile experience I guess. Thanks for the reply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
morris9597 wrote:
Anything by Uwe Rosenberg is a good bet. My personal favorite though is Le Havre.

I also like the solo variant for Pax Porfiriana but that may be stretching the definition of "Euro" a bit.

I've heard great things about the solo variant of The Networks as well but can't attest to that from personal experience as I've only played this with 3 to 5 players, never solo. I can personally attest to the awesomeness of the game as a multiplayer game though.


Is there enough variety from game to game on Le Havre? I'll definitely check out The Networks! Thanks for the reply!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Toc13 wrote:
Snowdonia is worth a look. There's plenty of variety in the base box with the different trains plus there's now so many additional scenarios, promo trains etc, etc.


I think Snowdonia would be the perfect game for this topic, but it's so hard and expensive to get a copy atm. Thanks for the reply.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apkendrick wrote:
A Feast for Odin is an incredible solo game.


That is one game, I also wanted to recommend, if you like the solo-aspect of improving your own score by optimizing your moves, which is pretty much how the solo works, I believe. Of course, you can also try different ways, as the game has plenty of options to offer.

It's also awesome with more players, BTW.


How about cooperative games, that are (by nature) also great for solo play.

i.e. Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island or First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet (similar games, as they use the same game engine)

Bye
Thanee
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Kellett
United Kingdom
Preston
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
Snowdonia is worth a look. There's plenty of variety in the base box with the different trains plus there's now so many additional scenarios, promo trains etc, etc.


This. Snowdonia is the best solo Euro full stop.

La Granja is another great one. The solo rules in the box are good, but there is a 12 card AI deck available in the files section that really lifts the game up and feels like a proper opponent.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Scythe is fantastic solo or multiplayer. It's currently my #1 solo game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Ngui
Canada
flag msg tools
There's a Snowdonia 3rd edition for Kickstarter coming in early 2018.
This is where you would get the chance to order plus get any expansions and promos.
I got into Board Gaming after Snowdonia came out, so I don't know if Snowdonia will be available in retail stores. Stores may have to pledge their own copies to sell in-store. It's definitely out of print. You'd be lucky to find a copy.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Isagam
msg tools
DarthVandelay wrote:
Isn't Luna more static? Like, same setup, goals, etc.?


No. Luna has a very good Feld-designed solo variant with multiple difficulty level choices and random setup.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Korn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the Gates of Loyang plays excellent as a solo game. For the last year I mainly played solo or against a single opponent, so cannot comment regarding bigger player numbers than two. I think it is a very solid design and should also be good for 3 or 4. Game weight is exactly where you seem to want it.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Isagam
msg tools
samro wrote:
At the Gates of Loyang plays excellent as a solo game. For the last year I mainly played solo or against a single opponent, so cannot comment regarding bigger player numbers than two. I think it is a very solid design and should also be good for 3 or 4. Game weight is exactly where you seem to want it.


+1 to this. At The Gates of Loyang and Snowdonia are probably two of the best designer-included solo games I've played.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Thanee wrote:
apkendrick wrote:
A Feast for Odin is an incredible solo game.


That is one game, I also wanted to recommend, if you like the solo-aspect of improving your own score by optimizing your moves, which is pretty much how the solo works, I believe. Of course, you can also try different ways, as the game has plenty of options to offer.

It's also awesome with more players, BTW.


How about cooperative games, that are (by nature) also great for solo play.

i.e. Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island or First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet (similar games, as they use the same game engine)

Bye
Thanee


I'll wait for AFFO to be released here, I guess Q1 2018. Regarding the coops, I tried but didn't like playing them solo and I can't really tell you why. Spirit Island seems neat though. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
AnimalMkIV wrote:
Toc13 wrote:
Snowdonia is worth a look. There's plenty of variety in the base box with the different trains plus there's now so many additional scenarios, promo trains etc, etc.


This. Snowdonia is the best solo Euro full stop.

La Granja is another great one. The solo rules in the box are good, but there is a 12 card AI deck available in the files section that really lifts the game up and feels like a proper opponent.


I really wanted Snowdonia, seems right up my alley. I didn't know about the AI deck for La Granja, I'll look into it! Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Sizzla wrote:
Scythe is fantastic solo or multiplayer. It's currently my #1 solo game.


Hey Mike, thanks for the input, I watch your segment on Board Game Breakfast every week. Scythe seems really cool indeed, but as I'm starting my foray into solo gaming, I'm trying to avoid more complicated opponents to control or biggest setup. I'm pretty sure I'll get to Scythe eventually. Thanks.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Alexngui wrote:
There's a Snowdonia 3rd edition for Kickstarter coming in early 2018.
This is where you would get the chance to order plus get any expansions and promos.
I got into Board Gaming after Snowdonia came out, so I don't know if Snowdonia will be available in retail stores. Stores may have to pledge their own copies to sell in-store. It's definitely out of print. You'd be lucky to find a copy.


I didn't know about that! I'll make sure to keep an eye on it, I can't miss the 3rd edition. Thanks for the heads up!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
NeilIsagam wrote:
DarthVandelay wrote:
Isn't Luna more static? Like, same setup, goals, etc.?


No. Luna has a very good Feld-designed solo variant with multiple difficulty level choices and random setup.


Cool, I didn't know that. Luna was always sold as a "zero luck" Feld, so I thought the setup was the same. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
samro wrote:
At the Gates of Loyang plays excellent as a solo game. For the last year I mainly played solo or against a single opponent, so cannot comment regarding bigger player numbers than two. I think it is a very solid design and should also be good for 3 or 4. Game weight is exactly where you seem to want it.


Loyang should be released here on december if I'm not mistaken. I want to try it and I think I'll end up buying it, but the playthroughs that I watched gave me more a puzzly feeling, different from the euros that I listed on the topic... but who am I kidding, I'll end up buying it when it releases around here. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
The thing that keeps my coming back to the games listed is because I really like what I've read or watched. I like the mix of mechanisms. None of those titles have a decent solo variant? If that's the case, I'll need to start rethinking this.

Thanks to everyone taking the time to reply to this thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DarthVandelay wrote:
The thing that keeps my coming back to the games listed is because I really like what I've read or watched. I like the mix of mechanisms. None of those titles have a decent solo variant? If that's the case, I'll need to start rethinking this.

Thanks to everyone taking the time to reply to this thread.


Orléans: Invasion includes a solo variant for Orleans.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Morão
Brazil
flag msg tools
Sizzla wrote:
DarthVandelay wrote:
The thing that keeps my coming back to the games listed is because I really like what I've read or watched. I like the mix of mechanisms. None of those titles have a decent solo variant? If that's the case, I'll need to start rethinking this.

Thanks to everyone taking the time to reply to this thread.


Orléans: Invasion includes a solo variant for Orleans.


Importing this expansion to Brazil is quite expensive now, Trade and Intrigue is cheaper, but doesn't include a solo variant. Since Orléans was released by a publisher here, I hope the expansion would be too. Thanks for the reply.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.