Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk
United States
Commerce Twp.
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just recently I started playing Star Wars Destiny... very recently. Last night, I found out that I had been getting a rule wrong as I was using focus on a die to change itself (has to be another die or dice). I then started wondering what other rules have I played incorrectly for a long time. Several from Monopoly come to mind regarding mortgaging and auctioning although those seem to be fairly common.

So today I started thinking that there might be some funny or interesting stories that members here might have regarding rules that they got wrong, especially if it was for a lengthy period? Might be a good break from the mundane on a Friday...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can never get the board in the middle of the table.

Pete (hates that rule)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time we played Great Western Trail we took exactly 1 action at every location we decided to stop at. It made the game MUCH longer. I didn't really notice the difference between the vertical action dividers and the horizontal "OR" dividers, so we treated everything as OR type decisions. A testament to the quality of the game though, we still enjoyed it. But... have certainly preferred every playthrough since.

Edit: See also, this Geeklist - https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/225770/i-already-know-wha...

Edit to Edit: From sharing that Geeklist which I have read before I've learned that I've been playing Istanbul wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We thought Mice & Mystics was a competitive game so we just kept attacking each other.

That was the most confusing game I ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iffix Y Santaph
msg tools
designer
Find the link on the microbadge below.
badge
The Evil... The Chaotic... The Wallaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend introduced the game Traitor Mechanic during a game night about 5 months ago. He had just received it from Kickstarter. We had assumed that you weren't supposed to communicate with other players about cards you were playing. As a result, we lost the first 4 games, with little to no effort from the Traitor. At one point I was the Traitor and attempted to help out, and we still lost. I was getting really irritated since my good friend had spent his money on a junk game. Then we looked at the rulebook, and played the next 3 games to great amusement. Yeah, reading rulebooks definitely helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently three rules in Pandemic Legacy Season 1, which made the game a LOT harder for us.

Stuff that theoretically we should have known from rules when starting game #1 (but marked in spoilers in case IDK) :
Spoiler (click to reveal)
#1: You might need to next Legacy Deck card in the middle of the game; use the Reminder Token to help remember when.

#2: You get to pick Game upgrades after EVERY game, not just the ones that you win. We realized we were doing it wrong in like June-ish, whoops.

And something that comes up in May:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
#3: The rulebook says if a city has an outbreak but the disease doesn't spread to any of the surrounding cities, the outbreak counter doesn't increase. Since this would never happen at the beginning of the game I dismissed/forgot about it.

May introduces Roadblocks which is how this could happen. Alas uh... we didn't realize this until the last game of December. Oops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We were sitting around playing Uno the other day, and realized when we were growing up we all learned to play a different way. Some of us kept picking cards if we didn't have one until we got one that we could play, others had people draw and still take their turn if a +2 or Wild +4 came up, and only one of us grew up actually playing with scores. And yet, none of that affected our fond memories of playing as children or our enjoyment of playing together today!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rees
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Celestia we missed the rule that the pilot only needs to play cards if they can successfully beat the challenge. That gave us a lot more knowledge about what was likely in people's hands, so it made it easier to know when to get off the ship. Games are a lot more tense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Until recently I only ever put one ruby on the tiles in Istanbul for things like completing your cart or upgrades. Now the game isn't as cut throat and punishing if you didn't get to a particular goal first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pickle the Hutt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game of Cyclades was almost comical after the fact with how many rules errors were discovered. A year later and we still joke about the gold standard of a dozen or so texts with rules mistakes the next day.

In retrospect, adding Titans to the base game as a first play of the game with only minimal rules reading was probably a mistake.

Good news though, only one mistake made on play number 3! 😀
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. Corkery Hahn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first go at Terraforming Mars had us receiving income after every turn instead of after every generation. "Wow! This is easy!... Nope."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Yi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm 5 games into First Martians and still finding little rules I'm getting wrong: what the automatons can/can't do, when the red cubes affect things, when the damage die is rolled depending which token shows the symbol, etc. But still actually really enjoying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
I can never get the board in the middle of the table.

Pete (hates that rule)

I often get the rules for selecting starting player in games wrong.

More seriously, for my first few games of Brass, when we shipped to external demand, we paid what was supposed to be an income increase as cash -- the same as for shipping iron/coal to re-fill the price/demand tracks. Given how coal & iron worked, it made sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
baboon baboonov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our first 10 games of Five Tribes incorrectly
We even bought the expansions.

We somehow didn't notice the rule about finishing the move on a tile with same meeple color
This made a slightly different game (though it was fun in its own way).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoff Jordaan
South Africa
Pretoria
flag msg tools
mb
More embarrassing is when I correctly teach a rule and then promptly forget it when play starts (thankfully the other players tend to catch these mistakes).

The worst that comes to mind though was when I was taught Mystic Vale by the owner and they didn't note that one can't overlay a cards starting corruption. They complained the game was broken and later decided to house rule it (... to what was is the manual).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most infamous in our group would probably be when I taught Mansions of Madness. It was my first time teaching a game since Seasons which I owned long before I built a real collection. First 2 games, I screwed up movement so badly. At first I thought you only moved one square on a move action. Then I learned you move 2 but I messed up that you were allowed to carry movement over between actions. Some actually said that made the game scarier. Running from monsters was hard and it made the finale intense. If I had screwed that up on anything but the tutorial though, it would've been impossible to get anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Patek
Italy
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:
Our first game of Cyclades was almost comical after the fact with how many rules errors were discovered. A year later and we still joke about the gold standard of a dozen or so texts with rules mistakes the next day.

In retrospect, adding Titans to the base game as a first play of the game with only minimal rules reading was probably a mistake.

Good news though, only one mistake made on play number 3! 😀

Same thing happened to us, but with Risk Europe.
"It's just Risk, we'll play reading the rules along the way"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
baboonov wrote:
We played our first 10 games of Five Tribes incorrectly
We even bought the expansions.

We somehow didn't notice the rule about finishing the move on a tile with same meeple color
This made a slightly different game (though it was fun in its own way).

We played Pandemic incorrectly for about a year and a half. We also bought the expansion. Still played it incorrectly.

What did we get wrong? Only that we thought a disease could be eradicated BEFORE curing it shake We thought we were being tough on ourselves by house-ruling that if the disease wasn't placed in the beginning, it was not eradicated and could only be eradicated after cubes of that colour had been placed on the board.

How did we find out about our error? When someone posted a thread about house-rules and I went to mention how we only use house-rules to make the game harder (as mentioned above). However, not wanting to make a fool of myself I re-read the rulebook to check that this was a house-rule and not in the rulebook. Thank goodness I checked, cos we'd been cheating all along! blush No wonder we thought we were so good at that game!

I know it is ridiculous we missed the rule, but to be fair, it was one of our first hobby games and we learned it while I was in hospital and I guess we never re-checked the rulebook. Still, I felt pretty stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
My favorite rules mess up was when playing MTG for the first time in middle school. We thought damage done to the defender permanently reduced their defense. So if you were attacking with a 3/3 Hill Giant and someone blocked with a 0/8 Wall of Stone, it would be an 0/5 until it took damage again and would again get lowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.