28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Moving on from Lords of Waterdeep rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
toke moke
msg tools
I'm looking for a worker placement game that is highly thematic (not historic) with good player interaction and preferably doesn't use rounds to end the game. No co-op games.

THANKS!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Gorski
United States
Prescott
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Get my Mac and iOS software for Traveller at http://naasirka.weebly.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
There's bazillions. Take a look at Village. Very thematic and it ends when the cemetery fills up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Jarvis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Viticulture essential edition / tuscany essential edition (not that much player interaction though). manhattan project maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'd say The Manhattan Project, but I'm not sure if that's ruled out by "not historic". I'm kind of interpreting that as "no trading in the Mediterranean".

Eclipse is also has worker-placement like features and may fit the bill (though it is significantly longer – probably ~3 hours on first play, moving down to 2 to 2-1/2 depending on your group after some experience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Maybe take a look at Argent: The Consortium?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Charterstone if you are able to have a committed group play a Legacy game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tokemoke wrote:
I'm looking for a worker placement game that is highly thematic (not historic) with good player interaction and preferably doesn't use rounds to end the game. No co-op games.

THANKS!

Take a look at Deadwood from Dust Games/ Fantasy Flight Games. It's a western themed worker placement game with direct player interaction, different buildings that show up in the town, and the game end is predicated by building a railroad. This all adds to a playful western motif. It sort of flew under the radar and is out of print...however you can still buy cheap copies on Amazon.com. I saw new copies for $14.oo not too long ago.

I would also recommend taking a look at the recently released The Godfather: Corleone's Empire. It's features plenty of player interaction, but it does end after four rounds...so that might be a no go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdonia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toke moke
msg tools
Thanks for all the quick replys ! Looking things up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower

(You should try it.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Conrade

Kansas
msg tools
Just picked up Fresco for 20 bucks, and could be what you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Goodman
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Raiders of the North Sea. It's about the same weight as LoW, I think it is thematic, doesn't use rounds, and is a lot of fun. In about a month two expansions will be available for it as well.

Also I will +1 Viticulture and Fresco as good suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wohlwend
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it, but I'm highly interested:

Champions of Midgard

seems an upgrade for Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:

+1. While a set number of rounds, Dungeon Petz will also work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toke moke
msg tools
matthean wrote:
jdw734 wrote:

+1. While a set number of rounds, Dungeon Petz will also work.

I've played DP once and it was pretty fun. I'm thinking of house-ruling the endgame as something other than rounds.

Charterstone is pretty interesting. Looking further into that one now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toke moke
msg tools
agorski wrote:
There's bazillions. Take a look at Village. Very thematic and it ends when the cemetery fills up.

That's a really fun endgame mechanic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Argent the Consortium. Too interactive for some worker placement fans! Must try Village soon. LOL at the end game mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sons of Anarchy: Men of Mayhem has everything you're asking for, except it has rounds. The level of player interaction may make up for it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The two best Worker Placement Games out there right now are Raiders of the North Sea and Viticulture Essential Edition.

Why I love ROTNS: It is around Lords of Waterdeep weight, but instead of gathering cubes to fulfill contracts, you are gathering a force of Vikings to raid enclaves. The Worker Placement is unique, and creates some interesting restrictions while still being pretty free. There is not a ton of blocking, but there is a tight race to get to the different raids first. The best medium-light WP game out there. Plus it looks stunning.

Why I love Viticulture: Instead of collecting the most points in a certain number of rounds, Viticulture is a race to get a certain objective first. Instead of getting points for everything, Viticulture makes you go through a chain of interesting steps to score points. Most of all, Viticulture throws you a unique puzzle every game in terms of your orders and cards, and asks you to craft a strategy based on your unique position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toke moke
msg tools
A lot of suggestions for Viticulture. A theme about making wine though snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotty S
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Take a look at Stone Age and Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james schweig
United States
SAN FRANCISCO
California
flag msg tools
I bought this for no reason
mbmbmbmbmb
Just imagine that instead of making wine you are poisoning wine and following around the wine make to make sure your evil plan comes to fruition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
toke moke
msg tools
philosophant wrote:
Just imagine that instead of making wine you are poisoning wine and following around the wine make to make sure your evil plan comes to fruition.

devilninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Steal yo
badge
ur face
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregus48 wrote:
I like Raiders of the North Sea. It's about the same weight as LoW, I think it is thematic, doesn't use rounds, and is a lot of fun. In about a month two expansions will be available for it as well.

+1 Raiders

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willett
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to point out Keyper if you want a high interaction game. The game ends after four rounds though (one per season). I really was entertained by the interaction of it, as you can work together with others to get better effects. Sometimes its a great thing to need to go gather some cows and find that you can get more by joining a friend.

That said it is building a farm/town and then hosting fairs and stuff. Not expressly thematic...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.