Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the past few years, video game prices have increased but so have board game prices, drastically in fact.

For example: New released PS4 games run at most $79 CDN nowadays, and that's a lot of money. As for board games, newer games now go from 20$ to 80$ to 130$ or even more, depending on the size, components, quality of course!

Now i understand that the games that tend to have a higher price have miniatures and thicker cards and better quality everything, but really, does that really justify the high price? Isn't it that creating and designing and programming a video game takes much more time and resources and a bigger budget? I mean, some video games use CGI even, real human movements recorded in studios by real people, even celebrities and stars, doesn't all that cost a lot more money? There is programming, sound, voice overs, effects, story, etc etc etc...it takes a whole team, and/or organization to make a video game.

I understand that there might be a bigger audience or demand in the video gaming industry but that doesn't mean that the pricing on a board game should be higher, does it?

I'm sorry, i'm not in this business really, so maybe my thinking is rather shallow, maybe i got everything wrong, and maybe these games that have detailed plastic miniatures really cost a lot more money to make than I thought, i don't know, enlighten me please. What's your take?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smaller print runs. Far more expensive distribution methods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Material costs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Component costs are higher, manufacturing costs are higher, transport costs are higher.
Only development costs are higher for Video games and that is a one-off cost that is distributed over all of the copies ever made so they even win out on there because board games are made on much, much, smaller print runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shotgun Games
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Video games are distributed on discs or electronic download, requiring very little physical product, or in some cases now, no physical product at all.

A board game requires a lot of physical product that has to be re-made for each individual copy of that game. Real components all have to created, sorted, and packaged together into a box, which then has to be shipped across oceans and put on shelves in a warehouse / store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
The cost of manufacturing - material and labor, the cost of logistics (shipping and storage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really have to charge 5x your manufacturing cost?:

https://blog.foxtrotgames.com/2016/02/05/distribution-cash-f...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are they? Some are yes.

You can get boardgames for under a fiver new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There's a couple of reasons I guess...

True videogames may take more money to make but:

Videogames are media... there is nothing material about then excepto for the DVD it's created... not mentioning the digital copies some companies sell which is basically just data. There is no material cost.

Videogames have a higher player/customer count by far. Therefore they are more massive. They can get everywhere all over the world. Clear example I can get hold of any videogame... boardgames in my country are non-existant I gotta ship them here.

Boardgames last for ever... except legacy games... pfff I spit on your legacy games XD... videogames need software/hardware support...

That last one might be the perfect excuse from an addict to boardgaming XD

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Because boardgames cost much much more to get to the consumer than video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Video games have a larger audience. Significantly larger. In fact, not only is the market larger, I'd say the board game market is also flooded with more major games than the video game market is, so the market is spread even thinner. Even if development costs more, they can charge less per unit, because overall they'll end up making back their costs and make a profit. Board games are going to sell significantly less, so to make any sort of profit each unit has to be higher in price. Factor that in with material costs, shipping and handling costs, replacements for broken components, etc. and the answer is clear.

A good case on how a more mass appeal, larger company, and better distribution can greatly affect price is the game santorini. The game kickstarted and sold for almost twice as much prior to being picked up by major stores like target. Now it costs half the money simply because it hit major retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Renwick
United States
Medina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed vs variable costs.

Video games have a higher fixed cost in R&D but board games have a higher variable cost in components.

Video games sell a much higher volume, so once they meet that fixed R&D cost, far more dollars hit the bottom line than once a board game hits its fixed costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cro1 wrote:
Over the past few years, video game prices have increased but so have board game prices, drastically in fact.

For example: New released PS4 games run at most $79 CDN nowadays, and that's a lot of money. As for board games, newer games now go from 20$ to 80$ to 130$ or even more, depending on the size, components, quality of course!

Now i understand that the games that tend to have a higher price have miniatures and thicker cards and better quality everything, but really, does that really justify the high price? Isn't it that creating and designing and programming a video game takes much more time and resources and a bigger budget? I mean, some video games use CGI even, real human movements recorded in studios by real people, even celebrities and stars, doesn't all that cost a lot more money? There is programming, sound, voice overs, effects, story, etc etc etc...it takes a whole team, and/or organization to make a video game.

I understand that there might be a bigger audience or demand in the video gaming industry but that doesn't mean that the pricing on a board game should be higher, does it?

I'm sorry, i'm not in this business really, so maybe my thinking is rather shallow, maybe i got everything wrong, and maybe these games that have detailed plastic miniatures really cost a lot more money to make than I thought, i don't know, enlighten me please. What's your take?

Thanks.

Please see economies of scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
And while we’re at it, most of them aren’t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because...they aren't?

A good, new boardgame's 35-60 bucks. A good, new videogame is about the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snowren24 wrote:
Fixed vs variable costs.

Video games have a higher fixed cost in R&D but board games have a higher variable cost in components.

Video games sell a much higher volume, so once they meet that fixed R&D cost, far more dollars hit the bottom line than once a board game hits its fixed costs.

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The real question should be, given the digital nature of the distribution, why re video games so expensive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
The real question should be, given the digital nature of the distribution, why re video games so expensive?
Something something something easily parted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:

Extremely expensive upfront costs. Expect at least 200k(probably more) per developer per year with several hundred developers for a couple years per project. Then all the management on top.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy (Other Amy)
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good video games can be had for very cheap, especially if you go with digital delivery. Board gaming is by far my more expensive hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's also worth mentioning that not all video games are AAA and not all of them require a large team.

FTL: Faster Than Light had a team of four people.

I believe Papers, Please was all done by one man.

Both are excellent.

But the reason they're much cheaper (even when first out) then board games is that they were entirely digitally distributed.

You won't see that kind of fall in board game prices unless 3D printer games take off in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to all the valid production/distribution reasons above, board games are simply better than video games, so they are worth more. If they weren't, we wouldn't pay for them. It's a higher quality hobby (thus the popularity of shelfies).

Haven't you seen the t-shirt? "Board gamers are not snobs. We're just better than video gamers."

whistle

But seriously, when you factor in $300-$400 for a console, you have to buy a lot of video games before the cost to play becomes less than board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terence Aries
msg tools
mbmbmb
Not only the above mentioned reasons re: distribution and print runs, but the lifespan of a video game is much shorter, especially the online shooters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sheppard
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:

Why aren't they MORE expensive? Considering the extensive cost, short premium price life, and resistance to all "long tail" monetization efforts, for most studios, making videos games is a high risk, low payoff effort and one "bomb" could sink an entire studio, possibly even restructure/punish the publisher for 7 years or more. Seriously, we haven't seen a price increase in video games since the Xbox 360 launch and yet the cost of development has skyrocketed many times over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cro1 wrote:

I would hazard a guess that demand is 1,000 x the demand for board games. Thousands of more video games sold.

Boardgames runs are a few thousand. Once they are sold then they print more. Plus all the other things mentioned above.

I just did a quick look at popular video games sold. Grand Theft Auto was one of the most popular games in the past 5 years. It has sold 85 Million Copies.

Ticket to Ride on of the most popular boardgames of all time for the most recent things I can find say it has over 3 million copies sold. That came out 2004.

3 Million in 13 years...85 Million is 4 years.

Making a board game to video game comparison really isn't realistic. There is just so many factors that don't relate to each other that you can't make accurate comparisons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.