Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am driving myself crazy trying to decide which of these to get. My fav game to play solo is At the Gates of Loyang, so I want to try one of Uwe's bigger games and I just can not make a decision between Fields of Arle and Feast For Odin.

I like the theme of Fields of Arle better (and this may be dumb...but I love those cow meeples haha!) but I am nervous about it being a "sandbox" type of game. From what I have read Feast for Odin has more direction in the game and isn't as much of a sandbox.

I would only be playing whichever one I end up getting as a solo game. There is no way my husband would ever play either of these with me, and I don't get much time to go to my local game store and when I do it's usually just for a LOTR LCG Campaign group I am in.

Any help with this decision? If At the Gates of Loyang is a game I love does that mean I'd like one of these more than the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Builder
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are two threads from the 1PG forum that may help you.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/25908713
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24287543

Glass road is also fantastic solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tough decision!

Odin has a bit more variety due to the occupation cards and the mild luck elements on some action spaces.
There is also the puzzle aspect, that some people enjoy while others don't.
It has a very good solo mode.

Arle is more straight forward in a way.
It is probably better with two players.

I have to agree that Glass Road is also a very good solo game.

The poll makes it clear - it has to be Odin:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1774838/rate-uwe-rosenb...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
for what its worth my friend who has these and plays solo seems to like feast for odin the best. I just don't know how much is due to it being the latest addition to his collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both are very good, and which one is best is going to come down to your personal preferences.

For myself, I much prefer FOA. It is a more comfortable game, but nicely puzzly. AFFO is stressful: the central mechanism is a struggle to fill in board space to avoid negative points. I find this to be Not Fun, though I much prefer to play AFFO solo. Also, FOA is a strong engine building game, which I prefer, whereas AFFO has very little engine building. Both games are very much sand boxes, which is ideal for solitaire, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.