BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Story heavy themed games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Cases
msg tools
new user
Hello every,

Pretty new here and was hoping for some advice on story heavy/story driven, themed games to play with the wife. Campaign type games (bonus points for ones that carry decisions forward, we played pandemic legacy season 1 and loved it) would be very welcome.

We like fantasy, sci-fi, detective (just ordered Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective)... pretty much anything but my wife refuses to play anything too scary which unfortunately eliminates a lot of the great looking horror games. 2 player co-op games would be ideal as I can get her to play those.

Any thoughts? Thanks very much for reading my post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Does Arkham Horror: The Card Game count as too scary? Otherwise I'd say it's a pretty perfect fit.

Legends of Andor might be alright for a story-driven campaign, but there aren't really choices that carry forward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Cases
msg tools
new user
Emu Prime wrote:
Does Arkham Horror: The Card Game count as too scary? Otherwise I'd say it's a pretty perfect fit.

Thanks for the reply! I'm not sure...I've watched a few spoiler free youtube videos and it sounds great. What these vids didn't talk about of course was the story so I'm not sure how much it sucks you in. She has a really active imagination so if the story is at all immersive and at all scary it won't go over well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Here is a good geeklist of all of the cases for Sherlock Holmes, other very similar games from the 80's, and more recent similar games like Mythos Tales.

And another list

I think SHCD (1983 version) is the only one of these I've tried, but it's probably the most thematic game my wife and I have enjoyed together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom of Kilforth
Can be played 1-4 player, competitive or co-op.
If you want to get a flavour of the story potential, just check some of the session reports
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Above and Below and its standalone sequel, Near and Far. Both have heavy story elements. Near and Far has a campaign mode too. My family has had a lot of fun with both these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyric wrote:
Hello every,

Pretty new here and was hoping for some advice on story heavy/story driven, themed games to play with the wife. Campaign type games (bonus points for ones that carry decisions forward, we played pandemic legacy season 1 and loved it) would be very welcome.

We like fantasy, sci-fi, detective (just ordered Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective)... pretty much anything but my wife refuses to play anything too scary which unfortunately eliminates a lot of the great looking horror games. 2 player co-op games would be ideal as I can get her to play those.

Any thoughts? Thanks very much for reading my post.

Pandemic Legacy: Season 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about I Will Fight No More ... Forever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Murphy
United States
Gold Hill
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are a fair share of dungeon crawl games that would provide a heavily themed, campaign based experience. Some of these will carry over your choices and actions between sessions better than others but you may want to check out:

Gloomhaven

Sword & Sorcery

Arcadia Quest

Mice and Mystics

The 7th Continent

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)

While Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) is not a 2-player co-op by default as one player is the Shadow Player and will control the monsters and the story while the other player/players control the hero characters, there is a companion app that includes some full co-op campaign material.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.