Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi all

I was hoping someone could suggest (if any exist) some games that use cards or decks as the primary tools for combat between players/characters on a board, whether the board is set or not. So, not Malifaux (playing cards to represent damage numbers), more like Gloomhaven I suppose where there are 'move' cards. So I guess, are there any other games like that BESIDES Gloomhaven? Preferably ones that are a bit less dense and 'quest' focused?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"et son bucher se change en trone dans les cieux."
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

Severe dice allergy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lol

Yes actually. I generally hate games that rely on randomization. The ones that I do like (Infinity, Ikusa, and a few others) all allow enough modifiers and 'control' over the dice outcomes that I feel like I can at least mitigate or control the randomness, but generally I dislike randomization in games unless it is a 'mere' party game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does have dice, but the randomness isn't so bad. It sure gives you a lot of control over what you do:

Mage Wars Arena (there is a lighter version of it out as well: Mage Wars Academy)

Then, of course, there is:

Mage Knight Board Game

This has no board at all, but it might still appeal to you. It's a game with tons of expansions, though (LCG):

A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition)

And this is a cooperative, RPG-style game, which is also very low on the randomness:

Mistfall

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoff Jordaan
South Africa
Pretoria
flag msg tools
mb
+1 to mage knight.

Kemet and A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition) might be edge cases in that their cards are used as combat strength modifiers but they also add side effects when played (and there is no drawing of cards, you start with all of them in hand but your options become reduced as they are played until your hand is eventually restocked).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparantly Fury of Dracula (third edition) -- if you can stomach the rulebook. Never tried this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brinker
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
Grognards
badge
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason this question reminded me of Dragon Storm. A card based rpg, kind of a hybrid rpg/ccg. It was a bit weird, is 20 years out of print, and there was a little bit of dice rolling. Still have some cards around here somewhere...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK was my first thought, but they said less dense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks all!

Yeah I should say it's not really dice I dislike, it's randomness lol. Which I suppose may seem like a contradiction but some games do it much better than others.

I do really like Game of Thrones! I think what I miss from that is the 'characters moving around doing stuff' aspect.
Which Mistfall looks like it does pretty well! Actually it reminds me a lot of Dungeoneer (if anybody remembers those games?). Used to love Dungeoneer, pity it went OOP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin von Allmen
Switzerland
Zuchwil
Zuchwil
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hellas for a old 2-player wargame-light with cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wohlwend
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Twister with its bazillions of versions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Brunscheen
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
May be hard to find but check out Gladiator:Quest for the Rudis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There ARE dice in this and and I'm not sure how available this game is as the second printing KS ended a month ago or so but Fireteam Zero is very card driven for your actions.

I guess there are a number of other games in this genre(?) of dungeon crawlers/combat games: Dark Souls: The Board Game (but frankly, only really the boss battles are worth the play), Dungeon Command: Sting of Lolth in which the cards fully replace dice and really act quite like them, Gears of War: The Board Game, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Lucashu
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Cool! Those look neat!
And yes, I have Dark Souls...I like it because I love Dark Souls but I dislike the dice mechanics lol (end up using lots of house rules).

I was looking at some of those dungeon crawling type games and realizing that it's the long nature of those and the RPG-like focus on quests and progressive combat encounters that I think I am also trying to veer away from, but their combat systems are certainly helpful. Earlier I was looking at Folklore and their system seemed cool. I'm not sure how well they would scale for more units per player though (as opposed to each person having a single character and single combat deck for that character).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stargorger wrote:
Cool! Those look neat!
And yes, I have Dark Souls...I like it because I love Dark Souls but I dislike the dice mechanics lol (end up using lots of house rules).

Initially, when I heard of the game I thought they might use player's deck of cards (each player would have their own cards) with some sort of 'recurring' mechanic, similar to the catapult mechanic found in Stronghold. But what do I know about game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wohlwend
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidden Stars uses dice for combat but this is heavily adjustable by playing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
msg tools
mbmbmb
Dungeoneer may be out of print, but you can still buy the decks on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeoneer-Tomb-Lich-Lord-Second/dp/1...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martijn Broeren
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Gelderland
flag msg tools
Swaygodeus wrote:

The Pathfinder Adventure Card Games use dice for every encounter so I think it's not a good suggestion to the OP. (although there is lot's of manipulation of the dice using cards)

May I suggest Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure? It uses deck building but you also explore a dungeon and is competitive (although you don't attack each other).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Christopher
United States
North Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point, forgot about that. I was mainly thinking of the card play. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.