Popular Tags: [View All]
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I have spawned a clan of nerdlings, our dinner conversation tonight centered on the accio spell in Harry Potter.

The debate: If you said "Accio heart" (or, I guess, "Accio (so-and-so's) heart,") would you pull that person toward you by their heart, thus possibly shearing its veins and arteries or even crushing it? That is, can accio attract part of something, or does it grab the entire thing? Or, at the more exteme, could accio be used to rip someone's heart out of their chest (aka The Mola Ram)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Accio does not work on living things. Debate over.

http://harrypotter.wikia.com/wiki/Summoning_Charm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
On a related note, I not long ago finished reading the HP series to my children.

During the Goblet of Fire, after the first task, my daughter asked me “Dad, why didn’t Harry just say Accio Golden Egg?”

To which I had no good response. Now having read the wiki article, I could have said counter-charms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmb
thewagon wrote:
On a related note, I not long ago finished reading the HP series to my children.

During the Goblet of Fire, after the first task, my daughter asked me “Dad, why didn’t Harry just say Accio Golden Egg?”

To which I had no good response. Now having read the wiki article, I could have said counter-charms.

Even if he did, he still has a mad mama dragon to contend with. He would still need a way to keep from getting fried, hence the need for a broom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
thewagon wrote:

Another member of the Nitpicking Crew has risen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
thewagon wrote:

Even if he did, he still has a mad mama dragon to contend with. He would still need a way to keep from getting fried, hence the need for a broom.

I thought the dragon was tied up to within a certain distance of the egg - a distance that I assumed didn’t reach the entrance of the arena.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
msg tools
mbmbmb
thewagon wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
thewagon wrote:

I thought the dragon was tied up to within a certain distance of the egg - a distance that I assumed didn’t reach the entrance of the arena.

Well the Dragon Broke the chain. The Accio spell doesn't work on everything, it didn't work on Horcruxes. So maybe it wouldn't work on the eggs due to a counter spell? Otherwise Wizards would just be stealing everything with Accio spells.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Perrin2017 wrote:
thewagon wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
thewagon wrote:

Well the Dragon Broke the chain. The Accio spell doesn't work on everything, it didn't work on Horcruxes. So maybe it wouldn't work on the eggs due to a counter spell? Otherwise Wizards would just be stealing everything with Accio spells.

Yeah I mentioned counter-charms in my first post, so that’s why Accio doesn’t work on everything.

The dragon breaking the chain was something that only happened in the movie, not the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thewagon wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
thewagon wrote:
Perrin2017 wrote:
thewagon wrote:

Yeah I mentioned counter-charms in my first post, so that’s why Accio doesn’t work on everything.

The dragon breaking the chain was something that only happened in the movie, not the book.

As well as the dragon flying after Harry all over the grounds - movie only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the manatee
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.