Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi dear community:

I'm very happy to share my first board game with all of you

A bit about me and the origins of SOS Galápagos:

I'm Ecuadorian and I've been a board gamer since I remember (probably I born with some kind of wooden meeple or warrior miniature right on my hand ).

Board games are my primary passion. Even though, I never felt like my passion was really complete, because I truly wanted to design my own board games... and that's how/why around 2010 I started working on some ideas for a board game of my own.

The beginning of a story: Initially I had planned to design a euro-style board game, so, my first prototypes represent an intent to walk that path. However, I wasn't very satisfied with the results I was getting. Then, in 2013 I introduced a twist to my initial vision, a change that was the beginning of Ecuador Megadiverso, a cooperative game not published yet, that is about saving animals, all along the Ecuadorian territory, from extinction. But then again, my impulse began to dilute...

Struggling story: Even though I was sure that my designs had potential and could be enjoyable for a wide range of people, I kept struggling with the idea of publishing them, because Ecuador is sort of a "boardgameless" country (very few people are really into boardgaming and we don't even have one single specialized board game store in our territory... not kidding). So, I was very hesitant about publishing or not one of my designs... Until now!

Getting out of the mud: As the Ecuadorian market appeared as a somewhat difficult field for planting the seed of a game like Ecuador Megadiverso (due to its complexity), I came with the idea of publishing a slightly lighter "version" of it, and that's how on 2016 I started working on SOS Galápagos which, objectively, could be called a "son" or "little brother" of Ecuador Megadiverso... Fortunately it became a very different game which is only related with its ancestor because of the theme/narrative.

End of that story: SOS Galápagos is now published in Ecuador (well, the official launch will be on December 15th, but I'm currently on the process of distribution to some book stores and, hopefully, other places as well).
The publishing of SOS Galápagos has been self-funded, by Juegos Misi, a freshly born little publisher formed by Diego Albuja, another Ecuadorian game designer, and me; but I decided to take the risk of publishing it, no matter what, with the hope of changing the culture of my "boardgameless" country. And it's ok, I'm fine with my decision: after all, high dreams commonly are built upon high risks, doesn't they? arrrh

The beginning of a new story: so, this is the beginning of my story as a board game designer and I'm very excited!

Being a board game designer is the dream of my life. I feel, think and intuit that I'm in the right path/mood to achieve my objectives and make my dreams come true, and I trust that God's will is with me!

I really would love to see SOS Galápagos becoming popular here on BGG, this great community that has been like my second home for the last almost 10 years, this site that opened my eyes showing me that there's a lot more than Monopoly in life whistle

Apart from SOS Galápagos, I plan to publish Ecuador Megadiverso in a near future and would love to see it following the steps of SOS Galápagos and gaining its attention here on BGG.

Also I'd like to share with you that currently I'm conceiving a new game on a very different theme, a game that I'd like to see published in my country the next year, but meanwhile I know I must focus all my energy and efforts on SOS Galápagos.

_____

That would be a brief recap from the first sparks to the present situation of this beloved first born of my dreams and efforts meeple

Now, I need a little help from you guys...

A request for all interested BGG users:

Tacking into account that the Ecuadorian market is very limited for board games, I'm seriously considering to send some copies of SOS Galápagos to foreign publishers in order to get a chance to publish it abroad. Although I'm not sure what exactly to expect, I would like to think that my game has a chance to be edited, played and enjoyed outside the Ecuadorian boundaries, and I think that if it gets sufficiently known here on BGG, it could raise its chances of being published abroad.

Soon I'll be posting on the files section a print & play version of SOS Galápagos, including all the necessary game material to play the game (except dice).

For now, I have uploaded 2 pdf files with the rulebooks:
English Rulebook
Reglamento en Español

What I'm asking to you is to try the game and to give me some feedback: all commentaries, suggestions, etc., will be welcome and greatly appreciated.

Also, after trying the game, I really would appreciate if you vote for it in order to help SOS Galápagos to earn its deserved place (for good or bad) into the ranking list of BGG's database.

Thanks in advance for your kindness and infallible support!

_____

Receive all my thankfulness for reading this shakewall of textshake and for being such a nice community. I'll be updating this post with any further information related to SOS Galápagos or Juegos Misi, and particularly to add the links to the files for the print & play version of the SOS-G.

Keep in touch!

Cheers from the middle of the world: Ecuador

Carlos Soto Power

_____
Files for the print & play version:
English Rulebook
Reglamento en Español
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this story, Carlos. Keeping my fingers crossed for your success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Soto Power
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Hilko! thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.