Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Ma Hongkui
Microbadge: Avalon Hill fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: I'm a Black Orchestra fan!Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fan
Per GMT's November update (http://myemail.constantcontact.com/November-20-GMT-Update--P...):

Quote:
The good news is that we're going to see quite a few cool new P500 additions in early 2018, including two new COIN series games . . . .
I have to presume one of these will be "All Bridges Burning" since it's far enough along in development to be featured in C3i. Any thoughts on what the second one is likely to be? Nothing else on the "Guide to GMT Games' COIN Series" list (https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208026/item/4588251) looks far enough along to be plausible for the P500. (My best guess is that the picture of a Philippines COIN design titled "People Power" that Rodger MacGowan recently showed a picture of on Facebook is actually a renamed "Iron Butterfly" and thus may be far enough along to qualify.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Doherty
United States
Windsor, Northern-
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Wargamer of 50+ yearsMicrobadge: Don't Tread On MeMicrobadge: San Jose Sharks fanMicrobadge: The Peloponnesian War fanMicrobadge: My contribution was deemed Pyuredeadbrilliant
Spanish Civil War would be my vote.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Feudal Japan theme fanMicrobadge: I play with red!Microbadge: Card Sleeve userMicrobadge: Miniature PainterMicrobadge: Podcaster
COIN is starting to jump the shark. It used to be that I'd pack any and all of them. However there are starting too be too many of them, and I don't think I want to collect them all. Also, I'm not a fan og this "COIN is a brand" thing, that is giving designs like Pendragon a free pass on the initial design.

I guess like any game, I'll see what the theme is and back accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goulette
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game fan - GandalfMicrobadge: Mage Knight Board Game fanMicrobadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Antiquity fan
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
COIN is starting to jump the shark. It used to be that I'd pack any and all of them. However there are starting too be too many of them, and I don't think I want to collect them all. Also, I'm not a fan og this "COIN is a brand" thing, that is giving designs like Pendragon a free pass on the initial design.

This. And I really love COIN! But... I am feeling what you feel.

Now, I backed Colonial Twilight in order to have a 2 player coin. I backed pendragon too,... but I am not really super excited about it frankly.

I feel like the COIN system needs a jolt. Something that borrows from COIN but incorporates elements from other genres (Fog of war?, Hand of cards in addition to the main deck?, I don't know... something). I'm not sure what a tweak of COIN would look like, but I am starting to see some issues with the system as it exists right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Ma Hongkui
Microbadge: Avalon Hill fanMicrobadge: ASL fanMicrobadge: I'm a Black Orchestra fan!Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Sierra Madre Games fan
anaturalharmonic wrote:
I feel like the COIN system needs a jolt. Something that borrows from COIN but incorporates elements from other genres (Fog of war?, Hand of cards in addition to the main deck?, I don't know... something). I'm not sure what a tweak of COIN would look like, but I am starting to see some issues with the system as it exists right now.
Interesting. I've only been into the system for less than a year, but so far it's the "core" COIN volumes (AA, CL, ADP, FitL, and CT) that appeal to me much more than the volumes that add additional mechanics making it resemble a more traditional wargame. There's an elegance in the simplicity of the rules versus the complexity of the events, actions, and victory conditions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Ma Hongkui
ldohrebl wrote:
Spanish Civil War would be my vote.
Do you know if there's one in development? (I've seen people suggest it as a subject before, but I don't recall anyone saying one was actually being worked on.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Míka
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Roger Zelazny fanMicrobadge: Combat Commander: Europe fanMicrobadge: 1989: Dawn of Freedom fanMicrobadge: Pax Renaissance fanMicrobadge: Phil Eklund fan
I guess FitL expantion will be one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz
Palestine
Earth
msg tools
Non vi sed virtute, not armis sed arte paritur victoria.
badge
e^{i · π} + 1 = 0
Microbadge: HeterosexualMicrobadge: I love Palestine!Microbadge: I ride my bike to work.
Few days ago someone posted a session report of Finnish Civil War. My bet is it will be one of the two. The other but that is somewhat wishful thinking would be on Ireland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernie Blofeld
United States
Ocean View
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Go playerMicrobadge: Bob Ross fanMicrobadge: Stuka Joe fanMicrobadge: Games Receiving the Calandale Video Treatment fanMicrobadge: Implementing the Perfect Solution... to Counter Clipping!

I have to admit I'm getting a bit of COIN fatigue myself. I was excited to order Pendragon a while ago, but now I find myself indifferent that it's been delayed. I'll be buying COIN games based more on subject matter in the future.

I'm primarily a solo war gamer so I really loved (and still love) the solitaire suitability of COIN combined with a card driven design. Cards add so much to the wargaming experience, no more fighting wars in a vacuum.

Bit with the advent of the Stuka Joe CDG Solitaire Method I find myself gravitating to 'traditional' CDG's that have fewer abstractions. I wish there were more in the pipeline.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I feel the same and have passed on the latest COIN for that reason. I'll probably get Gandhi and after that, the one on the Irish war of independence if it ever materialises, and if it seems like a good historical representation,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Ma Hongkui
Pemik wrote:
I guess FitL expantion will be one of them.
Good point, I had forgotten about that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Fort St James
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
Microbadge: BloggerMicrobadge: FeminismMicrobadge: PolyamorousMicrobadge: Tea drinkerMicrobadge: Every true 18xx fan knows you should use $20 chips
anaturalharmonic wrote:
Something like Root, maybe? (Check out the designer diaries in the News section of the forum.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
Microbadge: Time of Legends: Joan of ArcMicrobadge: Golden MeepleMicrobadge: Plays Games with SpouseMicrobadge: High Frontier fanMicrobadge: Kingdom Death: Monster fan
Boardgame designer will be one. The four factions are:

Euro
"Ameritrash"
CDG
Hex-and-counter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hex-and-counter is overpowered. I know that from imagening the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
Microbadge: U2 fanMicrobadge: A pipe is the fountain of contemplation, the source of pleasure, the companion of the wise; and the man who smokes, thinks like a philosopher and acts like a Samaritan.Microbadge: Christian - OrthodoxMicrobadge: Irish folk fanMicrobadge: Star Wars fan
I'm hoping it's A Terrible Beauty (Irish War of Independence) but we shall see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Ogre - Designer's Edition - OwnerMicrobadge: I play armored combat gamesMicrobadge: Remembrance day - lest we forget...Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: 13 Days fan

When Avalon Hill started pumping out Squad Leader modules I was quickly cured of any nascent completionist tendencies, so I never had even the slightest inclination to collect every COIN title.

For me, they are very much pick and choose. ...and once you play one, learning the others is a fairly simple exercise. Between online and FTF play at conventions, I've found it easy to play any and all of the COIN I can handle.

So, while I am not somebody who jumps at every COIN release, I can see that GMT will continue to release titles as long as they sell. MMP has several series with more than 10 titles, and not too many people are saying they are tired of ASL and/or OCS. Not to mention that COIN is multiplayer AND solo, filling 2 niches in a category loaded with 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Buel
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: FloridaMicrobadge: US NavyMicrobadge: The storm has a name. It calls itself Torg!Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Cthulhu Wars fan

Yeah no, please make a hundred more
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
Microbadge: Sierra Madre Games fanMicrobadge: Hollandspiele fanMicrobadge: Wargamer - WW2: Pacific TheaterMicrobadge: Rodger B. MacGowan fanMicrobadge: Chad Jensen fan
achates wrote:
...I'll probably get Gandhi...
I've slowed down on COIN, but was able to playtest Gandhi and it is really, really good. The way it handles the non-violent factions is intriguing, and it conveys the theme extraordinarily well.

Even at this pre-pub stage, Gandhi is my second favorite COIN design (after FiTL). Insta-buy for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ulrik Bøe
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Microbadge: Android: Netrunner fanMicrobadge: A Distant Plain fanMicrobadge: Power Grid fan
I'm really liking Pendragon, and Gandhi excites me. I'll probably get Bridges and People Power as well, but I'm not 100% set on that.

What I'd like to see is sci-fi and/or fantasy COIN. I don't think we'd get a known setting without licensing it to FFG or something, but even a generic or lesser known setting could be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Ma Hongkui
Tcaalaw wrote:
Per GMT's November update (http://myemail.constantcontact.com/November-20-GMT-Update--P...):

Quote:
The good news is that we're going to see quite a few cool new P500 additions in early 2018, including two new COIN series games . . . .
I have to presume one of these will be "All Bridges Burning" since it's far enough along in development to be featured in C3i. Any thoughts on what the second one is likely to be? Nothing else on the "Guide to GMT Games' COIN Series" list (https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/208026/item/4588251) looks far enough along to be plausible for the P500. (My best guess is that the picture of a Philippines COIN design titled "People Power" that Rodger MacGowan recently showed a picture of on Facebook is actually a renamed "Iron Butterfly" and thus may be far enough along to qualify.)
Not to toot my horn too much, but I was correct that ABB and PP would be the two COIN titles added to the P500 "in early 2018" and that PP is actually a renaming of Iron Butterfly. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oerjan Ariander
Sweden
HUDDINGE
flag msg tools
Microbadge: COIN fanMicrobadge: Fire in the Lake fanMicrobadge: Liberty or Death: The American InsurrectionMicrobadge: Invierno Cubano fan
ulrik wrote:
I'm really liking Pendragon, and Gandhi excites me. I'll probably get Bridges and People Power as well, but I'm not 100% set on that.

What I'd like to see is sci-fi and/or fantasy COIN. I don't think we'd get a known setting without licensing it to FFG or something, but even a generic or lesser known setting could be great.
Sounds interesting! When will you have the prototype ready for demo?

Regards,
Oerjan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls