5 Posts

Stonewall Jackson's Way II» Forums » General

Subject: GCACW Play at Winter Offensive 2018 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been tardy getting my usual organizing notices out for play of Great Campaigns of the American Civil War (GCACW) play at Winter Offensive 2018. Never fear there will be plenty GCACW action as in year's past! I anticipate Winter Offensive will be held over the MLK weekend, Thursday through Sunday, 11 to 14 Jan 2018 at the Bowie, MD Comfort Inn.

***Please don't make any reservations until our friends at MMP confirm all this.***

For GCACW play I will follow our previous year's format:

Thursday, 11 Jan
Campaign game set up and hard chargers may even begin pushing counters. Let me know if you are looking for a CG opponent.

Friday, 12 Jan
All day play of GCACW CG's. For newbies I can arrange learning matches of smaller scenarios as needed.

Saturday, 13 Jan
Scenario play all day of GCACW. For those looking for friendly competition we will have a single elimination event with at least three rounds being played this day and finishing on the following day.

Sunday, 14 Jan
Final GCACW scenario rounds for the championship if needed.

I am unsure if Atlanta is Ours! and Roads to Gettysburg II will be out in time for Winter Offensive. If so our play will feature it. If not, we will develop a list of cool scenarios to play from previous games in the series.

What I need you to do:
1. Let me know you are planning to participate in GCACW play at Winter Offensive
2. Tell me if you want to try CG play or scenario play or both
3. Recruit a worthy friend to attend with you
4. Keep an eye out on the MMP website for registration and hotel details.

I look forward to seeing you all this January!

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Cocke
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
AIO and RTGII will not be at WO'18.

But still shooting for first quarter of 2018.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the registration info for Winter Offensive 2018.

http://www.multimanpublishing.com/Conventions/WinterOffensiv...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GCACW Fans,

Here is the latest list of attendees and guideline for play of GCACW at Winter Offensive 2018, scheduled for January 11 to 14, 2018 at the Comfort Inn in Bowie, MD. We have 15 signed up so far. I will make campaign game opponent pairings next weekend and send out to all. Once paired, you can then select a mutually agreeable campaign game to play with the default being SJW II Scenario 8 From the Rapidan to the Rappahannock.

If you are traveling light all you need to bring is a copy of SWJ II or BAtC to participate in all parts to GCACW play. If you don't have these games I can get you acess to a copy for your Winter Offensive play or, better yet, you can purchase direct from MMP at the convention site.

What I need you to do:
a. Recruit an interested friend to attend
b. Register for the convention at MMP's website (and don't forget to make hotel reservations)
c. Start refreshing yourself on GCACW rules in case you have not played in a spell

Confirmed Participants
1. Ryan S. C, S
2. Clyde L. C, S
3. Rod C. C, S
4. Ken L. C, S Burnside Takes Command CG
5. Gene R. C, S
6. Ed B. C, S (Fri, Sat)
7. Phil B. C, S
8. Justin R. C, S
9. Dave C. C, S Burnside Takes Command CG
10. John O. C, S (tentative)
11. Gordon T. S – learning scenario
12. Pat B. S - learning scenario
13. Chris T. C, S
14. John S. C, S
15. Jeff T. C, S
C = Campaign game play, Jan 11 and 12
S = Scenario play, Jan 13 and 14

The below information is also captured in the attached Word document.

Campaign Game Play
Thursday and Friday, January 11 and 12, 2018

Players may choose to play any campaign game they desire but the following are recommended as choices that may be completed in the time allowed. Ryan will provide an opponent to allow selection with rule options prior to the convention start on Thursday. Convention room doors usually open at 1700 on Thursday, January 11.

Recommended Campaign Games
1) SJW II Scenario 8 From the Rapidan to the Rappahannock, 8 turns***
2) SJW II Scenario 9 From the Rapidan to Manassas, 15 turns
3) AGA Scenario 6 The Bull Run Campaign, 13 turns
4) SLB Scenario 5 Certain Destruction Awaits, 7 turns
5) Skirmisher 2 Rebels in the White House Scenario 5 Early’s Raid 20 turns
6) OTR Scenario 6 Seven Days, 7 turns (technically not a campaign game but it is a very large, meaty scenario)

***This is the default campaign game to play for WO 2018 if you and your opponent can’t decide which one to play.

Special large campaign game opportunity. Ken L. has agreed to host play of Long Road to Gettysburg if there is enough interest. This is a stunning campaign and perhaps a once in a life time “bucket list” opportunity for you to participate. Please respond direct to Ken if interested.

“Wanted - Novice to intermediate GCACW players for multiplayer (2vs2, 2vs3 or 3vs3) playing of Long Roads to Gettysburg II on Thursday January 11 and Friday 12 January at MMP's Winter Offensive in Bowie, Maryland. Players will be provided campaign game rules and instruction, then be given general daily strategic direction via historical multiplayer communication rules. Players can come and go as they please. This will be a fantastic way for newer players to try out the Long Road to Gettysburg (covering the entire Gettysburg campaign and utilizing all the maps from SJW, HCR and RTG) as well as to participate with similarly experienced players in a multiplayer GCACW campaign game. If you are interested in participating contact Ken Lee at ladypiratescoach@yahoo.com.”

Scenario Play
Saturday and Sunday, January 13 and 14, 2018

Participants need only SJW II or BAtC to play in every round though copies of the other games will be available if needed. Winner needs to play winner in each round after Round 1 to determine a clear-cut champion by Sunday. ***See Ryan for scenario pairings.***

Scenario Round 1
Saturday, January 13
0900-1200
a) SJW II Scenario 1 Cedar Mountain
b) AGA Scenario 1 Across the Potomac (uses the HCR west map)
c) BAtC Scenario 2 Crossing Chickamauga Creek

Scenario Round 2
Saturday, January 13
1200-1700
a) BAtC Scenario 1 McLemore's Cove
b) SJW II Scenario 4 Jackson's March
c) AGA Scenario 3 McDowell's Opportunity
d) SJW II Scenario 2 Lee vs. Pope

Scenario Round 3
Saturday, January 13
1700-2300
a) BAtC Scenario 3 Battle of Chickamauga
b) SJW II Scenario 6 Bag the Whole Crowd
c) GTC Scenario 1 The Wilderness

Finals (if needed)
Sunday, January 14
0900-1300
Player's choice depending on time available, using one of the above listed scenarios.

I look forward to seeing you all at winter Offensive 2018!

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Schultz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign Game Play
Here are the match ups for CG play at Winter Offensive 2018. It is still not too late to join us - just send me an email to reserve your seat. If you are on the fence let me know and I can put a guilt trip on you.

CG Pairings:

CG#1
Dave C. vs Ken L.
Burnside Takes Command

CG#2
Ed B. vs Justin R.
Atlanta is Ours!

CG#3
Clyde L. vs Chris T.
game TBD

CG#4
John H. vs Phil B.
game TBD

CG#5
Gene R. vs John S.
game TBD

CG#6
Bob Ja. vs Jeff T.
game TBD

CG#7
Ryan S. vs Pat B.
game TBD

CG#8
Tentative pool - if two shows
(Chris A., Will We., John O.)
game TBD

I will send out introductions shortly if I don't think you know your opponent in your CG match. Please contact him and pick a CG to play prior to arrival at Winter Offensive. This will speed up play greatly and give you a chance to read through the specific rules for your chosen game.

Ryan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls