Popular Tags: flgs [+] california [+] [View All]
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Good People, I am going to be traveling down to San Diego here shortly, and would love to see what gamestores there are in the S Diego. If you're a local, or you just know, could you direct me to your favorite stores for me to check out while I'm down there visiting?

Thank you in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Game Empire in Kearny Mesa is the biggest, large game room, boardgames every Tuesday night and a lot of 40k and CCGs the rest of the time. They carry a decent stock of the popular stuff.

Game Towne is in the Old Town section of San Diego. They're having their annual mini-con over the next 2 weekends. They could keep a better stock on hand but they're probably the best place in town for historical wargames and miniatures.

Pair a Dice is in the North County (San Marcos). Never been there. They do a lot of official CMG and CCG tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pair A Dice is about as far north as you can get in San Diego county but it has the best selection of games in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harkonnen13 wrote:
Game Empire in Kearny Mesa is the biggest, large game room, boardgames every Tuesday night and a lot of 40k and CCGs the rest of the time. They carry a decent stock of the popular stuff.

Game Towne is in the Old Town section of San Diego. They're having their annual mini-con over the next 2 weekends. They could keep a better stock on hand but they're probably the best place in town for historical wargames and miniatures.

Pair a Dice is in the North County (San Marcos). Never been there. They do a lot of official CMG and CCG tournaments.

Excellent! I am staying at a place in Old Town. This looks promising!

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
I find Game Empire's selection of wargames too limited for my taste. Game Towne used to be outstanding; they're still pretty darn good. Finding parking for Game Towne can be a challenge, but that shouldn't matter, since you can walk over.

tyvek wrote:
Excellent! I am staying at a place in Old Town. This looks promising!

Where are you staying? Idle curiosity...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For wargames other than Flames of War or the GW titles Game Towne is still the best. They're seriously lacking for strategy boardgames though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Richardson
United States
Gresham
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I visited San Diego this time last year. Game Towne is the only store I visited. They had some euros, as well as plenty of minis and RPGs.

The best deal I found was some small games like "Its Mine" for $5.00. That's not bad at all. Don't know what they'll have this year, but I think they're worth a visit.

Good luck and happy hunting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Game Empire has a better selection but can be somewhat out of the way- you'll have to take 805 North and turn right off exit Clairemont Mesa Blvd- it's close to McDonalds. They are open until 10 pm most days and they do have a few open boxes in the game room to try out.

If you stay if Old Town then you can probably just walk to Game Towne, but it's a pretty small store. Just make sure you check their hours beforehand.

Also if you are here during the week why don't you check out the SD Board game group at meetup.com and stop by for some light gaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
I can read you mind
badge
I am the eye in the sky, looking at you. I can read you mind. I am the maker of rules, dealing with fools. i can cheat you blind. And I don't need to see anymore to know that....
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to agree that Game Empire is the better overall, but Game Towne does serve a certain niche better. Never been to the Pair-O-Dice.

If by any chance you get to visit the Zoo, stop in and say "Hi" at the Security Office.
Have a good trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dogzard wrote:
I would have to agree that Game Empire is the better overall, but Game Towne does serve a certain niche better. Never been to the Pair-O-Dice.

If by any chance you get to visit the Zoo, stop in and say "Hi" at the Security Office.
Have a good trip!

Hey Gregory, thanks for the input, and for the offer. In fact, we are planning to drop in to the zoo. Do you know where any discount coupons can be had from local papers, or such?

Cheers,

Will
Bay Area Gamer at Large

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
tyvek wrote:
In fact, we are planning to drop in to the zoo. Do you know where any discount coupons can be had from local papers, or such?

My recollection is that you don't just "drop in" at the zoo. It's huuuuge ... Great zoo, though. The Wild Animal Park is impressive as heck, as well. (It's a whole separate experience, way outside S.D.

Going to see the U.S.S. Midway museum? The aviation museum in Balboa Park is pretty good as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey ~ Thanks for the additional ideas! If we parachute in, we would be 'dropping in'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Nicely
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Midway is a must as is the whole Maritime Museum. The Star of India is the oldest sailing ship that can still sail. The Aerospace Museum is another must, probably the best museum I've ever been to. Cant't miss the Reuben H Fleet Space Theater either, AND the Model Railroad Museum (if you want to see some great miniatures and dioramas go check that one out), those last 3 are all in Balboa Park.

Like pretty girls? GO TO THE BEACH. I would recommend Mission Beach or Pacific Beach. Wear dark sunglasses if you're going with your wife

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Like ugly guys? Go to Blacks Beach instead

When you go to the Zoo you are already in Balboa Park with its nifty science museum. For more information see here:
http://www.balboapark.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dustin boggs
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
these are my overtexts and
badge
now I am without geek gold :(
mbmbmbmbmb
planning a visit in nov, anything new to add to this list?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
If you're a science-fiction fan, the "Mysterious Galaxy" bookstore a few doors down from Game Empire has an amazing selection and a frighteningly knowledgeable staff. They have author talks and book signings most weekends. http://www.mystgalaxy.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P L
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Game Rave not far from Game Towne is a bit more computer/LAN focused, but at least that makes four options for stores in the San Diego area.

I'm looking for someone to test out my newly acquired Dark Future with. Could also be persuaded to get into Aeronautica Imperialis, BFG, Epic 40K, Mordheim, Necromunda or even Battletech.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls