Popular Tags: [View All]
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Summer 1966 Turn 1:
Support: available = 38 Air, 28 Air Mobile, 3 Riverine, 30 US Repleacments, 73 ARVN replacements
VC 38 replacements, NVA 31 Replacements

Special Ops: FWA a few on hold, VC a few on patrol

Strategic Movement: The most important was to get 7th Div HQ into III Corps moved some
of the 105s to border capitals, rearranged HQs to correct Corps commanders trying to get
4 or less effective die roll have all divs effective. Will move regiments around as part of
operations over next 2 turns.

Opertions phase: This not a detailed turn just sort of the end position after turn 1, I have pushed
the VC out of most provinces, the division and 5 battalion in IV corps are now in Cambodia
I learned a valuable lesson in Binh Dinh as VC. The VC had 10-12 battalions in there most a huge block Up and down the mountains. The combination of the entire 3rd Marine, IND Arty, ARVN regiments
and rangers with some naval and air support completely dismantled it killing about 6 of the 15 units. The US, due to having no good retreat routes, a relatively low number on alert rolls, would have the VC
stacked 2 high and the next op would be able to concentrate on that. Need to leave the VC groups at 3-4 units and spread them out so alert roll/retreat combos can get them away. The US has suffered,
2 air points, 4 airmobile points, and 9 replacement points, ARVN lost 10 replacement points,
VC lost 4 pol sections, 11 battalions, and net of 14 replacements
That Roughly comes out to 5 NVA commitment for recruits(doesn't come out exactly even), and about
37 supplies at the current rate of "10"(starting next season it will take a lot of bombing to compromise the trail)
so about 5 commitment for supplies (bombing of the North is still going to cause a 1 point loss).
So it looks like a steady 12 - 14 point of commitment to the VC will keep them at current levels which when I
started this season was nearly maxed out including the 3 VC divisions. the VC currently have surplus supplies
This assumes the current loss rate stays constant so 25-30 battalions each season (so 6-7 for supplies and
6-7 for manpower)

The real problem is US/ARVN forces have a pretty good "wall" up in the populated provinces so its pretty much
VC suicide to run through it. The one thing it is good for is causing US casualties like air points and airmobile points.
These cost US commitment and with the US in the mid 200's for commitment already it seems like a good ides to force them to spend more.
The up side for the US player right now is all the ARVN are built so only replacements and the odd supply cost only battalion rebuild should be left. This should allow the US to Deploy at least one more
division (maybe 2) there are currently 5 divisions committed - 1st and 3rd Marines, 1st Air Cav and
101st Airborne, the 23rd (Amercal) and it's awesome artillery.
Think the 25th for IV Corps/Saigon next season and , then 4th following season for I/II corps and try to move those VC divisions. Also need to and make good their losses and probably crank up the air and
Airmobile points total.
Lets see if second turn of the season continues this trend of high US support point losses.

Map image of current positions from VC POV (so you can see what is where for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
France
lorient
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I saw your already upgrade most of the Arvn .

It's cost about 20 points to do that.
So 2 Us Division . Do you feel it's worth ?
Arvn , it's a hard part of the game for me.

I saw the Capitol Hq it's not on the Field . Should be on or in the eliminated FWA units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An ifern wrote:

I saw your already upgrade most of the Arvn .

It's cost about 20 points to do that.
So 2 Us Division . Do you feel it's worth ?
Arvn , it's a hard part of the game for me.

I saw the Capitol Hq it's not on the Field . Should be on or in the eliminated FWA units.

Nope the Capital HQ is a separate unit, Each counter is rolled for separately (unless you get all three regiments, then the HQ is available). Being FWA each counter costs me 1 commitment point to bring in including the HQ, so while it is available I chose to not enter it into the country because I didn't want to spend the commitment point for it.
From what I see in the rules only "US" HQ come in free with their brigade/division. So I wanted the commitment point to go towards support points instead. It is still available, I use that spot on the board marked FWA Allies, to remind me that I successfully made the die roll for it but just have not spent commitment to bring it in.

As to the fully mobilized ARVN, I won't bother with the AC counters because they don't get any combat factor boost or artillery point so seems wasteful this early. It cost me 38 commitment to upgrade every other ARVN unit that needed it(it would get a combat factor or Artillery boost or both) and to bring in ALL the ARVN artillery. Dropped the other 12 for US/FWA builds (see the inter-phase entry before this one).
This huge push will up the SVN morale to 140 next season so come winter 66 I should be starting to get the column shift. I got extremely lucky on the effectiveness die roll this season and every ARVN unit is active, so I can move and attack etc. to get the various divisions in the right Corps Zones. My goal is to make sure that most if not all divisions are active on a roll of 4 or more. That will really hurt NLF plans.

As the NLF player I have made a couple of mistakes, the VC division should always be in mountains not running around in IV corp. The 2 divisions in the north are pretty much entrenched in populous provinces until the US brings massive firepower to force them to take huge losses. As soon as I see that coming they will run away. I also wasted some commitment on the air defense number, it would have been more cost effective to spend those points on NVA unit. I'm a bit behind on a TET offensive time table, so I am thinking to maybe try different offensive strategies. Right now I am at 149 population for VC I see this slipping away on through 1967 but I feel I am ahead for summer 1966.

The ARVN build came about because I was trying to "math out" how much commitment I would need over the next "x" turns to accomplish it, When I saw my fortunate rolls for the ARVN aid programs in summer I realized that 50 commitment would take me to the magical 140 point in morale so figured I would try it.
Commentary on game so far:
This has been to my mind a slanted game for the FWA - The no name leader offsets the negative population modifier, no really horrible effectiveness rolls(like a 1),the first turn I had pretty much complete effectiveness and so all the Battalions in capitals could go on "hold" ops and that made even a VC division fail to bust them open, (I used Air pretty much just for defenses and that foiled NLF plans). I messed up as FWA and went for 30 unit kills come "hell or high water" in Winter of 65 and cost myself 14 pop points in Spring due to too many FF and horrible die rolls.

We will see if this US build works, it may be forcing too many ARVN replacement losses which is always where the game seems to be decided.

Question for the community do you want the detailed "blow by blow" reports to come back or is this summary type OK?
I know it takes me longer to do the blow by blow type, so I thought I'd Ask you all. If I get enough "Blow-byblow" requests I will go back to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
France
lorient
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Thank's for the explication you can use the 50 point as introduce more Us units , air power etc .
It will be interessant to follow your session to see what's happen with the Arvn, You just need to play faster , i'm on winter 66 now
you are really good for the SVN moral that the point , so may bee leader will not loose so much moral . Nice first star and a good Cos.
So for the Svn arty , there's not to much problem unless coup or instability .
i have some rule now for division , i wait the leader got 10 moral point before mobilize the Qg specially for leader B or C .
But for you leader B it's not really a problem.
Did you upgrade the regiment from the first Division to ?

For the FWA ally the Hq it's free (even no regiment on the field , point i didn't remember)
Rule 17.2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I missed the get the HQ free (for no commitment) part, I still don't have to take it so I didn't "break a rule" it was just dumb on my partmodest I thought I flipped all the Regiments even the 1st division's, did I miss one?blush

I have a strict rule as I'm playing solo, the VC get to do their stuff, then I wait a couple days, then US gets to start Operations, once I fell that I am starting to remember too many "reacted" VC units (things that moved because I ended US move next to them). I do about 3 or so per region than I feel like I am doing an operation on too good of intel so go on to another region. As the VC player I don't try and pick a move after every op, just if it is obvious that the US is surrounding me and I can get away then I will. Once I've done this in all 4 Corps sections I stop and wait a couple days.
If I was playing a "real" opponent this would be going faster, but we would not be able to have done the "blow by blow" posts I put out for the first 4 seasons. This is me relearning the game and how to do it on Vassal. I think I might go to Seasonal Summaries as well.

As far as the commitment, I don't usually go for 50 points in 1966 like this it is usually about 25/season, and down to 15/season in 67 with me ending up around 285 by end of winter 67 (2 more divisions brought in and support, and a few sent for ARVN supplies and they should get built out before spring of 1968).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
France
lorient
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I just wonder if player upgrade them , because the few bonus for this regiment.
If one day you have a opponent you still can done the blow by blow.
Just need to "record" a log when you play and read it later.

Thank's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob A

North Carolina
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:
Well I missed the get the HQ free (for no commitment) part, I still don't have to take it so I didn't "break a rule" it was just dumb on my partmodest

Also, you don't have to roll for it once you have the regiments either, so you can just bring it in whenever. I only skimmed this report so far, so I wasn't sure if that was clear or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrboba1 wrote:
Dren608 wrote:
Well I missed the get the HQ free (for no commitment) part, I still don't have to take it so I didn't "break a rule" it was just dumb on my partmodest

Also, you don't have to roll for it once you have the regiments either, so you can just bring it in whenever. I only skimmed this report so far, so I wasn't sure if that was clear or not.

Yeah if I remember right the HQ was the one of the first rolls I made when I could start rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.