Subject: Battle of lake peipus AAR rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoff
Canada
Kamloops
British Columbia
flag msg tools
This arrived in the mail less than a week ago so i was pretty pleased to get it on the table and my wife was willing to play it(her first wargame).

In the battle of lake peipus scenario I took the livonians and she took the Novgorod. The game started pretty great for the Livonians. The Novgorod actually advanced past halfway to engage the charging knights rather than hide behind shield walls that I expected they would. The heavy horse and light cavary started making hay with the novgorod levies with my 2 prince bishop AA class heavy horse right at the front doing the heaviest damage. Somehow the novgorods managed to keep wing integrity together even as their excellent A class veterance headed toward center to engage my cavalry. For several turns i thinned out a hole in the novgorod center but couldnt quite break through to halt the ambush cavalry that were accruing points as the waited for their moment. Finally my cavalry tore a big enough hole that they would be able to charge through and engage the ambushers in the next turn. The novgorod already had 10 VP gained on the surprise track, if i could cancel it victory would be assured. The novgorod sensed this and activated their cavalry. They charged forward to try and lock my 2 prince bishops between them and the infantry they had just passed. The livonians now had the initiative chit allowing them to take a double turn. My lead prince rolled a 1 and a 2 plus DRMs and killed two light horse in one double turndevil! We were now at 21Vp for thelivonians and 22 for the Novgorod. The novgorod used initiative again and making strong use of suppressive fire from the archers cut down some weakened cavalry and infantry on the wings and then took down both my prince bishops worth 4 vp eachcry. They had sprung up to 30 VP and won the battle!
Thoughts: The livonian should probably have protected the prince bishops better as the 8 VP the novgorod gained with their deaths ulimately won the day,but they are so fun to use, their AA class has so much punch and the livonians must be agressive to reduce the ambush points. Failure to target the veteran units which could have resulted in destroying wing integrity was also a mistake.
Overall i loved it. A great introductory wargame to learn the basics of hex and counter. Difficult tacticul decisions to make each turn made it very fun. The 2 sided chit command system is pretty cool i guess it adds "chit angst" since you will often want to execute both of the commands on either side of the chit and have decide on only one.
Sorry i forgot to take any pictures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Says something for the game when you're so engrossed you forget to take photos!

Nice replay. Nice system. Great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.