hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAR play test for New Port Republic

Play Testers Bob L. & Thomas F.
Assisting with rules and other questions Tom S., Charles G. & Anthony N.
This scenario was not without its questions as we set up the pieces and played out our game. I was pleased to have three other play testers there to bounce our questions off of though. I will post the comments, question & answers at the end of his report.

Campaign Scenario
Set Up 6:00AM
The plan for Union is to take an advanced position south of Lewiston Lane, in a long battle line protecting both road and the crossroads. The artillery will use the high ground to hold up the Confederate force cause casualties then strike hard with infantry charges.
The Confederate plan is to take the artillery up the road on the west side of the river to a clearings on the high ground and start lobbing shot into the Union flank and rear. The infantry is to build up a strong enough force in the Union front and then hurl themselves against the prone Union forces in an attempt to cause damage and take both the road objective & the crossroads.

End 6:00AM & 7:00AM Turns
The Union cavalry 1 WV (a) will dismount and hold the Valley Road. Tyler division moves to its advance position and will await for a good enough Efficiency draw to strike. Start the Union cannonade on Jacksons lead brigade of Winder. Jackson sends Winders (Stonewall) brigade in under attack orders and they get manhandled by Tyler brigade.

End 8:00AM & 9:00AM Turn
Taylor brigade make’s it up to the line to assist Winder brigade who has suffered collapse, rout and BCE in a single turn. It appears that the Union force has a very strong defense working for them. Confederate small cavalry Mumford brigade makes a futile attempt at taking one of the Union guns L 1 OH a/c and fails miserably routs off the map. This will cost the Union this gun in the following turn for choosing to stand against an infantry charge.

End 10:00PM Turn
However the Confederate guns have been finding some marks from across the river and the tables have turned Taylor’s brigade charges right in, first taking the 1 OH a/c guns. Then moving their way right down the Carroll brigade totally destroys the Union forces. They will finally stop and occupy the road and crossroads.

All in all a very nice little scenario
Yes I blew this map up too for easy viewing
Ammo Depletion worked very well in this scenario

Hope you enjoy
See you soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Franke
United States
Elkton
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is someone publishing a new edition? Or am I misunderstanding the word play test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, New version of this classic should be published in 2018 along with 5 other battles so far
If anyone has been tracking my posts
This is my third, 1st Kernstown, Cross Keys and now Port Republic
Sometime in January 2018, I'll start posting play test for Cedar Creek

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This new entry in the GBACW series is entitled, Death Valley: Battles for the Shenandoah. You'll find it listed on GMT's P500 page in the section, "Made the Cut". If you count Cross Keys separately from Port Republic, there are actually seven battles in the package currently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Long
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't this new series of game package more complex than the original SPI version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thomas fernbacker
United States
hicksville
New York
flag msg tools
gbacw nut
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could say yes however once you get the basic mechanic's down, Efficiency Draw, allocation of the Efficiency Draw Chits for the different divisions.
Your well on your way.
And instead of 15/20 minute game turns you have 45/60 minute game turns.
Like the original series each of the different battles/games have their own Battle Booklet.

The new GBACW series is definitely more precise, in-depth and detailed in their rules.

Hope this helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Byrne
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, there are aspects of the new series that are simpler than the old:
-- Artillery has only one formation
-- ammunition resupply is abstracted
-- units fire separately (with some exceptions for artillery). This avoids all the factor-counting inevitable in the old series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.