Hide
3 Posts

Eldritch Horror» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Breaking in my Copy of Eldritch Horror-Azathoth rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Lucido
msg tools
I love and have played several games of Eldritch Horror with my friends, but I don't own my own copy of the game. My wonderful wife bought me Eldritch Horror as an anniversary gift! Decided to break it in and play a solo game. I was up against Azathoth but I was using cards from the Strange Remnants expansion.

Started the game with Lola Hayes and Tony Morgan as my investigators. Things weren't going to bad for the first few turns, but I was having some misfortune as I ended up placing a series of three Red Eclipse Gates, saw the Doom Track triggered for 3 spaces due to this 'alignment'.

Lola and Tony were working on getting into Arkham to discover Azathoth's true name all the while ticking down the 'Growing Madness' Time Bomb. Both investigators had also had some trouble with some vicious monsters and both had suffered both physically and mentally, however with Clues, weapons and items they needed to defeat a Star Vampire guarding Azathoth's secrets and a gate, they had converged on Arkham prepared to solve this mystery...when they were jumped by agents of Azathoth's various cults! Lola was brought to zero health and Tony lost his mind! Enter Jim Culver and Diana Stanley. Good news, they were both in North America already and could quickly get up to Arkham to recover Lola's and Tony's gear and clues and still solve the mystery; the bad news? Thanks to another Mythos card that was accelerating the removal of eldritch tokens on Growing Madness and that would, when any other rumor cards were removed from the board cause a Sanity Loss, so after only one turn, both that Mythos card and Growing Madness go off, and both Diana and Jim are driven mad!

That's a loss of 4 doom...and oh by the way, by this time the Omen track had circled back to the Red Eclipse so another 3 doom! The fifth and sixth investigators enter the game, with only 5 steps left on the doom track! Jacqueline Fine and Lily Chen try to save the world in earnest. Jacqueline in North America makes the rounds uncovering the final fate of three of the previous investigators, and manages to move the doom track back a little while marshaling and redirecting clues. Lily does what she can as well and has a good expedition to the Himalayas that pushes Dooom back one more.

Unfortunately it wasn't to be. Once again the Mythos come down hard. There are too many gates, and now there are 2 Green Comet gates that open so when that comes up on the Omen Track Doom will click over 3 ticks on that result! Jacqueline and Lily try to control the Gates, all the while trying to build up the resources to solve the Seed of the Daemon Sultan mystery in Tuguska, but it was just too little too late, and when that Omen track hit the Red Eclipse it was over, and Azathoth would destroy the world!

Good game, and I had never seen such a four investigator massacre occur before! Just a perfect storm of Mythos cards that doomed the investigators!

Getting ready to play another game, this time with another expansion I picked up and had never played, Signs of Carcossa, and facing off against Hastur!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Griffin
United States
Thibodaux
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had one of those brutal games last week against Yog. I was done in 9 mythos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
If it weren't for the coffee, I'd have no identifiable personality whatsoever.
badge
That is not dead which can eternal lie. And with strange aeons even death may die.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with hastur. My favorite AO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.