Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesper Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the 3rd try, we finished our first game. A good ride, here comes the writeup!

6 players (3 new) and the galaxy from the the book was used for balance purposes. It might not be be the most balanced but more than new players will build I would guess. Our first game had a real unbalanced galaxy so we got a bit of bad taste from that.

I played as Mentak and was upp against Yin, Jol-Nar, Creuss, Naalu and Sol, last three were the new players.

The expansion started slow and steady with players building up their slice. Only Creuss was a bit spread out. Everybody scored some points except for Yin and Mentak who dragged behind. I went all in on upgrading cruiser 2 and deep space cannon as fast as I could but this slowed me down for the first two rounds. Everybody else went for Hyper Metabolism to gain some more actions and larger fleet pools, except for Naalu that got a bit locked out from tech due to a well timed uprising on a good resource-planet!

Naalu went for mecatol round 2 and scored the Imperial card taking an early lead at 4 points passing by Jol-Nar at 3, Sol and Creuss at 2. He was hit hard though and lost his fleet in Mecatol to Mentak and got cut off through some wormhole-shenanigans from Creuss.

Mentak miscalculated a bit in round 3 when attacking Mecatol, not bringing enough Infantry so it took me 3 turns to establish control. At this time I had a cruiser in an empty space a bit away, lending me the ability too steal from all players except Creuss (who got my promissory note) which gave me some much needed tempo.

Jol-Nar and Yin started bickering and attacking each other back and forth and basically held each other back. Jol-Nar also played a very diplomatic game, not researching almost any unit upgrades, instead mostly utility tech. This made it hard for him to combat his way in toward mecatol for some objectives.

Sol did his thing, focusing on objectives and slowly but steadily always tagging along 1 point behind whoever was in the lead (Jol-Nar or Creuss). He was pretty undisturbed and kept to his slice getting steady objective points and scoring all 3 secret objectives.

Creuss ended up with 8 points and took the Imperial card, making the pretty steady alliance between him and his neighbour Mentak pretty shaky, since Mentak was now controlling Mecatol. Mentak sniped one of the fleets adjacent to the system with som lucky rolls from 3 PDS and a heavy cruiser assault, taking out the Creuss flagship and through that hindering some massive reinforcements from the home system to join the fight. Creuss countered by attacking Mecatol with everything in an attempet to win the game but alas, since he was a new player, he forgot that PDS protected from bombardment and brought too few infantry. So even if the Mentak fleet was destroyed, control over mecatol remained, preventing Creuss from winning.

Mentak also managed to spend 10 trade goods (mostly through pillaging!) and scored a secret objective that same round allowing me to score 3 points up to 8. I also got speaker, controlled Mecatol and got to pick Imperial.

However, they managed to remove my PDS adjacent to Mecatol through an agenda, the PDS on Mecatol though an Action and took it from me before my turn. However, Creuss picked leadership to be able to move his fleets out of Mecatol space giving the opportunity to Yin to steal it through ground combat and therefore, the last round became about stalling actions until Creuss HAD to play leadership, giving Mentak the chance to gain and redistribute command tokens, then play Imperial and score the public objective of "remove 6 command counter from you strategy/tactic-pool (2P)".

So for now the pirates rule the galaxy, followed by Jol-Nar and Sol at 9, Creuss and Naalu at 8 and lastly the Yin at 6 (sacrificing their support for the throne-point from Mentak to prevent a Mecatol win).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
preston smith
United States
Russellville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Enjoy reading your AAR. Question overall how did the newer players like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Persson
Sweden
Linköping
Östergötland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of them really enjoyed it. one of them thought that it was too long. With food break it took us nearly 10 hours, so 9 hours of gaming was too much for him. He liked the game but he found the last three hours that he more and more lost the investment in the game, he didn't find his choices interesting anymore.

Hopefully though, 2 new converted enthusiasts!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah 9 hours is a bit too much, although it may happen in a 6 player game, especially with new players. FWIW, if your friend ever feels like giving the game a second chance, I'd try with a 4-player game, it is still great and things are much more manageable. And the game shouldn't be longer than 4-5 hours at most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Cole
msg tools
Tell that player not to worry. Games with newbies always take longer because they are still learning. Give it 1 or 2 more and that play time will be cut down to 5 hours

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.