Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
Random sample holds the one you need...
mbmbmbmbmb
OK folks. Snowdog_2112 here. I'm sure some of you will get the reference :-). My first ever BGG post and proud to make it a session report!

A little background:

Brand new(ish) board gamer that fell in love with heavy Euro's. Family is essentially NOT interested, and I was looking for a purely solo gaming experience. I studied EVERY (recent) solo geeklist and became intrigued by the WARGAMERS. WTF?

I do NOT want to start a "...that's not a wargame." thread, but since I have NEVER played one...well, it is to ME! So pardon my indulgence.

I was searching for a uniquely solo experience, so I figured, why not try a game that was designed for a solo player? My research lead me to COMANCHERIA. And, fortunately, the local game store had one copy.

Fate intervened and I loosed my $60 (yeah, I know it is less expensive on Amazon, but I needed my FIX!), and brought home a game that I was ill equipped to play with my basic skizzls, but I persevered and I offer up my SESSION.

Pre Game Research:

I studied Joel's tutorial videos, but begged off on his strategy primer after he revealed the Paulo Duro canyon opening. An epic play for sure, and one I felt better to have discovered on my own (as he rightly suggested).
So I stopped there with the Joel videos.

I did watch, in its enitrety, the first playthrough by jamesdeckert. Very informative and certainly helped my overall understanding of the flow of the game.

Secondly I did the playbook that came with the game twice - a great feature and one that every complex game should include. Kudos to Joel and his team for including.

Lastly I read almost every post on the COMANCHERIA forums and gleaned some excellent rule clarifications.

And so I felt prepared to BEGIN.

False Starts:

Playing from the intro scenario, section 9.1, I went through the motions and determined that I had failed to fully (completely) implement Development Card 03-War of Spanish Succession, launching numerous WAR and SUGJUGATE enemy
actions that ultimately lead to very quick losing scenarios. The false starts did, however, teach me LOTS of mechanics and loss conditions which I would learn from and take advantage of in my first proper game.

So without further adieu, my first session!

Setup:

Followed the 9.1 scenario guide in the "Rules of Play" and we are off.

Some key items in the 9.1 scenario:

1. Developent cards 01, 02 and 03 (previously mentioned and used properly this time.)
2. Win Condition: 1700-1749 History Card "Player must control Upper Arkansas and have at Rancheria in a second territory." Easy peasy, right?
3. Dev Card 03 prevents WAR and SUBJUGATE enemy actions.
4. The history card allows for FAILURE of an enemy RECOVERY action on die rolls of 1-3 on a 6-sided die.

Definitely set up to favor the new player. No wars, subjugates and a 50-50 chance to avoid recovery of RAVAGED settlements/tribes. Nice.

Opening Round:

The Comanche player (me) is given initiative and begins...

First some thoughts on my overall plan/strategy.
1. Get ravaged tokens on teh two tribes in Upper Arkansas
2. Get a band into Red River 6 for eventual conversion to a 2nd Rancheria.
3. Do quick hit and runs so as to not give the enemy too many Enemy Action Points (EAPs).

Note that a famous pugilist once said "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face." - Mike Tyson

So we start our strat:

3.1 No war columns in play

3.2 Ops value not in Passage of Time (PoT).

3.3 First Player Actions:

I am able to deploy 2 x (2-5) bands. I do so as follows:

RAID with 1 x (2-5) band to Upper Arkansas (UA) space 4 with 2 horses and 0 mahi'.
Draw two ? tokens and pull EAP 4 and EAP 2. Not a good start. The enemy now has six (6) EAPs! So much for plan plan! Undaunted I,

RAID again with same 1 x (2-5) at UA4.
Draw two ? tokens and pull EAP 4 and 1 Sucess.
Take one (1) horse
Place one (1) ravaged token on UA4
Return home for a net of 6 move points (one more than I am alloted), so I burn the horse I just got and call it a day.
Net result: enemy has 10 AP's (not good!), one ravaged token on UA4 and I'm back to the ranch intact.

HUNT with 1 x (2-5) band + 2 horses to UA2.
Take one bison and return home.

Move OPS token down one space.

So essentially "mission accomplished" sort of on my first excursion. I got a ravaged token on an enemy First Nations tribe and took a bison. Unfortunately the enemy gathered 10 EAPs. Ugh!

3.4 Operations Clean Up #1

This is where things get dicey (no pun intended!)

I roll to determine if enemy gets a free action. Of course I roll a 2, which is less/equal to the 2 finished bands in my Ranch. Damn. Enemy gets a free action.
I roll to determine the colony/first nation that takes the action. I roll a 5 which activates WEST (Espana).
I then roll 5 and flip the corresponding WEST action on the Enemy Instruction Display (EID) from PEACE to WAR*. Note that any striped actions I will denote with a *.
Enemy takes the top action for free which is SUBJUGATE, which Development Card 03 prevents, so I leave it in place. Note that my reading of the rules indicates that only COMPLETED actions are moved to the INACTIVE column.

OK, so we escaped the free enemy action unscathed. Great! Now on to the ? draw and then the enemy's 10 EAPs...

First, I draw a ? token as perscribed by the rules. I draw a sucess and return it to the cup. Whew. Now for the 10 EAPs.

I roll to determine the active enemy. I roll, of course, NORTH with a 1. North are the 1st Nation tribes active in Upper Arkansas which I need to decimate to achieve my win condition. So be it.
I roll to determine the flipped action with is 2, so I flip NORTH ALLY to RAID.
Now we start spending the 10 EAPs from top of North actions on downward. Its going to be quite a few of them!

Action 1 is RAID 2 (costs 2 EAPs) No established War Column, so we defer to a RECOVERY action which can remove RAVAGED tokens, which I just worked so hard to place. Per the HISTORY card a die roll of 1-3 indicates
success for the enemy.
I roll a one (1) of course and the RAVAGED token is removed from UA4. Ugh!

Action 2 is RAID2* (costs 2 EAPs). No established War Column, No Ravaged tokens...so the enemy establishes a WAR COLUMN! In my home territory!! UGH!!
The North War Column is set randomly on UA5 with a (2-0) strength. A mere 2 spaces from my Rancheria A. Auspicious beginnings.

Action 3 is HUNT (costs 3 EAPs). I roll territory one (1) of course, taking a nearby bison from Upper Arkansas 6. More resources gone from easy reach.

Action 4 is ALLY (costs the last 3 EAPs). I place the ALLY on UA4.

All EAPs are spent, and given my experience with 10 EAPs to start I escape relatively unscathed.

I reset the NORTH EID to E-D-C-A and breath a sigh of relief.

At the end of the day I earn one bison, I have an ally and am well on my way to securing Upper Arkansas...so long as my alliance holds.

A photo of the current state of play:

----------------- ROUND TWO -----------------

3.1 War Column Phase, NORTH

First I draw a WAR CARD, W22 which provides NORTH a movement of +1.
North moves from UA5 to UA2 now within one move of my Rancheria. I begin to plot my defense.

Next I roll to determine if the War Column loses any strength. I roll a 3 which is greater than the WC strength of 2 and it stays intact.

Lastly I draw a WAR CARD, W19 for action/revealed which provides for WAR ENDS with certain conditions. I won't meet them so I move on.

3.2 Not in PoT so we are good to go.

3.3 Player Actions

I activate 2 bands (2-5 each).

With first band I RAID with 2 horses and 0 Mahi' from UA1 to UA5.
I draw SUCCESS + 3 EAPs
I take a captive and place one ravaged token on UA5.
I go home spending all 5 move points.

With second band I HUNT with 2 horses and the Mahi' to UA1 - LE1
Take bison and return home. This costs me 6 move points, so I burn a horse.

Move OPS counter down 1.

Note that this time the enemy only collects 3 EAPs.

3.4 Ops Clean Up #2

After unstacking Rancheria A now has 3 Horses, 2 Bison, 1 Captive
It also has 2 x (2-F) bands and 1 x (2-5) band

I roll for the free action and result is 4 which is greater than my 2 finished band count to no free action for the enemy.

I pull a ? token from the cup and draw 4 EAPs. Now the enemy has 7 EAPs total (4+3 from the raid above).

Now on to 6.2.2A - spending the unused EAPs.

I roll 3 for the active enemy which is WEST.
I roll 1 to flip SUBJUGATE to WAR*

Now enemy spends 4 on the WAR* token in the top spot, which is ignored thanks to Development Card 03, but the 4 EAPs are burned. Nice.

Next enemy spends 3 on CULTURE which costs me 1 culture point moving me to 2 culture. Dangerous. Thankfully no settlements were out. I may have to address CULTURE track soon.

So clean up is over. I net a captive and a bison. Enemy moved his war column closer to my Rancheria A. I took a culture hit, but avoided war thanks to Dev Card 03. Holding my own.

A photo of the current state of play and also of the EID and my Ranch Status.

--------------- ROUND THREE ----------

3.1 War Column

Draw War Card W25, RESHUFFLE
Draw War Card W13 which gives the NORTH War Column +1 move...right into my Rancheria!! But I have a plan!

Roll check for reduction of War Column Strength...I roll a 1!! Which is less than the Column's strength of 2, so it is reduced to a 1-0 token. Nice.

Draw Ward Card W24, Ambush, which I won't likely use. At least it wasnt a REVEAL disaster.

So now we have a battle in my Rancheria. I can pull an unfinished band + any resources from the ranch, and I choose 1 x (2-5), the Mahi', and my HORSEMANSHIP development card I chose at the start.

This nets me a modifier of:

+2 band str
+1 Horsemanship
+0 Finished Band
+1 Mahi'
-0 Enemy Modifier
Total of +4. So as long as I don't roll an unmodified 1 I win.
I roll a 5 and the enemy column is reduced to 0 and goes home.
I put the RAID2 on teh bottom of the North EID.
I gain +1 (2 to 3) on the Mahi' medicine track for participating in a successful battle.

I am now VERY close to control. I have one ally tribe and the other tribe has a ravaged token. Should I press for PoT??

Some things I think I need to accomplish:

It would be nice to take Dev Card 02 - Ute Alliance. This would allow me to deploy a 3-4 band just about anywhere. And I still have the one AP I started with..but need to do Planning to make it happen.

I decide to press my luck...

3.2 Still not in a numbered ops space, so all good.

3.3 Player Actions

I decide to get set up for my second Rancheria. This would be Rancheria B.

I take 1 x (2-5) band + 1 horse and move to Red River 6. I don't have enough move points to take the bison, so I flip to finished. During PoT this will land me my second Rancheria in a non Upper Arkansas territory
which will satisfy a win condition.

I do not deploy my 2nd band, and since it was on 0 I do not add any APs. I flip to finished and move to CleanUp.

I move the ops band down 1 to the space with a 3, which will force a victory condition roll check in PoT. I'm close!!

3.4 Clean Up #3

I have one finished band in my Ranch. I do a roll check with a 3 and hence no free enemy action.
I draw from the ? cup and pull a 3 EAP. And that is all the enemy has.
I roll 6 to determine enemy SOUTH
I roll 2 and Flip SUBJUGATE to WAR*
Enemy spends all 3 EAPs on top action SETTLE and randomly choses Rio Grande 4. Far from home, so all good.

Ok, so here we are. I have a band in a second territory waiting to be converted to my second Rancheria. I have a ravaged token on UA4 and an ALLY on UA5. No enemy war bands.
I have an opportunity to possiby TRADE for some goods to upgrade my bands during PoT. I really should consider a PLANNING action so I can buy Dev Card 02.
But, I press my luck...

A photo of the state of play and the EID/Ranch Status:

------- ROUND FOUR ------

3.1 No enemy war columns

3.2 Not in PoT, so all good.

3.3 Player Actions

TRADE with 1 x (2-5) +2 Horse +1 Captive from UA1 - Yellow Enemy along the dashed line (1 Move Point)
Trade 1 captive for 1 food (1 Move Point)
Trade 1 bison for 1 food (2 Move Point)
EDIT: I decide NOT to trade the bison as it would cost 1 AP. I return the FOOD and take back the BISON.

Move home (1 move point)

Return my 2nd (2-5) band to finished and take 0 APs.

Ok...here we go. I'm in the roll space on the operations track to see if I go to PoT, which may not be bad. I have an ally and a ravaged token on the two tribes in Upper Arkansas.
I have a 2nd band waiting in Red River 6 to be converted to my 2nd rancheria.

I am starting to wonder if I should have raided the ALLY space in UA5?? Can you raid an ALLY? Shoudl I have gotten a RAVAGED token on that space for insurance?? I'll have to check the rules.

Also if I go into PoT I won't be able to collect Dev Card 02. Hmmm...did I overplay my hand?? The Passage of Time will tell...

So, the roll. The ops track is on 3, so I simply need to roll 4-6 to avoid PoT. But do I really want to? The dice gods speak...and I roll a 2. PoT it is!!

4.4 Passage of Time [SEE EDITS BELOW]

Step 1 I mark all bands unfinished, including the band on Red River 6.

Step 2/3 I spend resources to make:
1 x (1-6) in Ranch A for 1 POP point (Bison)
convert the (1-6) to a (3-4) for 2 POP point (Food)

Step 4 I create a second Rancheria from the band on RR6. I'm getting closer!!

Step 5 I upgrade my Ranch A Paraibo to 3 and reduce Mahi' to 0 (retired).

Step 6 I roll a 3 for Ranch B which is greater than 2 so no effect on Paraibo.

Step 7 I roll a 3, halved and rounded down to a 1 for medicine on Rancheria A retired Mahi. Oh well.

Step 8 I return the 2 out of play success tokens to the cup.

Step 9 No resources on the ops track

Step 10 Removed the RAVAGED tribe from UA4!! I now have 2 of 3 win conditions!! If only my ALLY will hold!!!

Step 11 The long awaited roll for the ALLY strenght 3 counter...and I roll a 4! Ugh! My ALLY turned on me!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! EDIT: I return the ALLY counter to North EID track.

Step 12 I do the Bison dance from LA4 to UA2

Step 13 I replace all 3 dev cards:

Dev 05 - return all the dev cards from hand. HA! I guess failing to buy Dev 02 wasn't such a bid deal, and I still have my one AP!
Dev 20, 13, 17 get put into play with no revealed effects.

Step 14 Does not apply - CLARIFICATION: I do not purchase a culture card.

Step 15 The VICTORY CHECK

I need to roll HIGHER than my position on the OPS track with is a three (3)
I roll a one (1)
I lose! Failed to meet the victory conditions as my ally was gone, and rolled into a victory check by not exceeding my OPS value.

EDIT: This check is done versus the PoT counter and NOT the OPS track counter, which has already been moved to START. I simply move the PoT counter down one space and live to fight another day.

I put the NORTH instruction WAR into the cup.

Move to OPS CLEANUP.

Final Analysis:

I think my big flaw was NOT getting a ravaged token on UA4, my ally. Unclear if this is permitted? Is it an enemy space if it is an ally?? EDIT: Per Rich James' posting to this thread this IS permitted and provided for in the instructions. I will reconsider next time.

EDIT: PHOTOS DELETED see revisions below:

The PROPER state of play prior to OPS CLEANUP coming out of Passage of Time:

I will post the remainder of the SESSION (since I am still alive) as a second post in this thread.

Thanks RICH JAMES for your help!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's great to see a playthrough of this game! I just recently pulled it back off the shelf and am playing the same scenario you did. If you like this one, you might want to check out Navajo Wars. It is also a solitaire only game, by the same designer.

On your playthrough, I don't think you lost in that first PoT. Reread Step 15. You only roll for victory check if the Passage of Time token is in one of the numbered spaces on the Operations Track. That means you have to perform at least 3 PoT operations to have a chance at a Victory Check. Each PoT moves the PoT token down the track one space.

The only other thing I noted (a nitpick) is that you should have spent 1 AP when you traded that bison with the West enemy square (it wasn't a Peace space). Fortunately, you don't have to spend APs when trading Captives.

You can raid an ally. An Ally space is considered a Peace space. So Step 4 of the Raid action tells you what effect there is when you Raid an Ally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rich James!

And, tragically, you are ABSOLUTELY correct. I mis-read the instruction in RULE 15 as you suggest. You make a roll check versus the PoT counter and NOT the operations counter, which I should have moved back to START.

Rats!! But all is not lost I think.

I had built a very nice set of bands up as well.

Since I have photos I may go back and reset to 4.4 Step 15 and see what happens.

Regarding the trade space you again are correct. I spent an extra MOVE point and you in fact must spend the extra ACTION point for a non-captives trade. Duly noted. I will deduct that from the only point I had on the reset noted above. Fortuitous I guess that I didn't buy the development card so my reset will be clean.

And finally thanks for the clarification on Raiding an Ally. No easy task it seems, but do-able.

I will leave as is for the reset.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nightfall 23
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
I will leave as is for the reset.

Let us know how it goes! /grabs popcorn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok I edited the misplayed Passage of Time part of the original session and reset the game accordingly with new photos of current status prior to Operations Cleanup following PoT.

Wish me luck as I continue the battle...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
***** A CONTINUATION OF THE SESSION FROM THE ORIGINAL POST *****

3.4 OPS CLEANUP #4

Step 1 - done
Step 2 - All bands are UNFINISHED as we just left PoT, no free rolls for enemy
Step 3 - Draw from cup and 4 EAPs

Roll 5 for WEST
Roll 1 flip WAR* to SUBJ3

Spend 3 EAPS on SUBJ3 (recall that the dev card that prevented is now gone)
Place on Rio Grande 1 as it is less valued than Llano Estacado 1

Add the remaining 1 EAP to the enemy track.

-------------- SOME INTERIM OBSERVATIONS ON PROGRESS --------------

So a quick review of what we have accomplished and learned to this point:

1. We nearly have control of Upper Arkansas, with only one 1st Nations tribe in play.
2. The enemy has no active war columns
3. There are plenty of bison on the board
4. We have 2 Rancherias with a decent complement of healthy bands
5. Our medicine tracks don't look good (at least to my inexperienced view)
6. West and South have only managed one settlement each, although SUBJUGATE is now active

What do I want to accomplish now that we have gotten through PoT #1:

1. Maybe a 3rd Rancheria starting in Paulo Duro Canyon
2. Get the 1st Nations Tribe out of Upper Arkansas
3. Be prepared to stop the spread of the colonial enemy which is sure to happen with SUBJ back in play

Mistakes I think I made in strategy/tactics - again, my first ever wargame:

1. I probably should have moved Rancheria A closer to the 1st Nations Tribe in Upper Ark.
2. I am low on horses
3. I never did planning and was unable to purchase a DEV card, but, alas I woulda lost it anyway.

Corrections:

1. Other than what was noted in my edited first post, I failed to deduct 1 Military Point in my defense of Rancheria A in Round 3, and have since moved from 3 to 2 on the track.
2. I mistakenly built Rancheria B on Lower Arkransas 5 instead of Red River 6 and have moved it. Neither bison was taken.

Lastly I do quite a few actions and cleanups prior to the next photo posting, so let's dive in.

---------------- ROUND 5 ---------------

3.1 No war columns, check.

3.2 PoT marker not in numbered zone, all good.

3.3 Activate Rancheria B and send my single (2-5) band hunting on its home square Red River 6. Take one bison.

Move operations tracker down one space.

3.4 Operations CleanUp #5

Step 1 done
Step 2 only one(1) finished band, roll check a 6 and no free enemy op.
Step 3 Draw from the cup a 4 EAP. Time for the enemy to respond:

Roll 2 activates NORTH
Roll 4 flip RAID2 to ENCR4*

Top action is HUNT2. Roll 2 for Lower Ark, and random draw is Lower Ark 5 and bison is removed.
Next action is HUNT3 (recall that enemy has 1 AP on the tracker so has net 3 left). Roll 3 for Llano Estacado and random LE4, bison is removed.

So two bison have now been hunted out of areas close to my Rancherias denying me resources.

-------------- ROUND 6 ------------------

3.1 No war columns, check.
3.2 PoT marker ok, check.
3.3 This time I activate Rancheria A which has 3 bands potentially highlighting a mistake I made last round using a Rancheria with only one band.

With 1 x(2-5) + Horse and I raid UA4 and draw 4+2 EAPs for the enemy. Ugh! Return home with my horse.

**** lack of horses and having to move 2 spaces from my Rancheria are denying me extra raid attempts on this tribe.****

With my second 1 x (2-5) band + Horse I raid UA4 again and draw 2 + sucess. Enemy now has 8 EAPs in play.
I take a HORSE.
I place a RAVAGED token on UA4.
I return with 2 horses.

With my (3-4) + Mahi + Horse I hunt in UA2 and take the bison.
I return home with my single Horse.

I move the OPS counter down one space.

3.4 CLEANUP OPS #6

Step 1 done
Step 2
I have 3 unfinished bands in Ranch A and 1 unfinished band in Ranch B. This will require two rolls for free enemy actions.
I roll a six (6) against Ranch A (3) for no effect.
I roll a two (2) against Ranch B (1) for no effect.

Step 3 I draw from the cup a SUCCESS and return to the cup.

Now on to the 8 EAPs to run through.

I roll 2 to activate North (sigh)
I roll 2 to flip ENCR* to RAID

I note that the top three actions for NORTH all cost 2 EAPs each, so this could get ugly.

I activate top action: HUNT2.
I roll 2 for Lower Ark (again). I remove the bison on Lower Ark 6.

Next I activate RAID2.
I check for RAVAGED against the history card rule and roll a one (1) thus removing the RAVAGED counter. Sigh again.

Next I activate RAID2. No ravaged tokens out so guess what - WAR COLUMN!
I place a (2-0) strengh North War Column on UA4 which is 1 dashed space from Ranch B in Red River 6 and two spaces from Ranch A in Upper Ark 1.

Enemy cannot play the fourth action, and places the remaining 2 EAPs on the tracker.

---------------------- ROUND 7 ------------------

3.1 War Column on the move

I draw War Card W11 and no north move... a reprieve?
I roll a 4 which is greater than the column's strenght of 2, hence no reduction in strength.
I draw War Card 25 Reshuffle
I draw War Card 07 with event "Draw Off" which I think I can use...would it be possible to place my 3rd band from Ranch A such that it activates WarCard07?

The text of this card indicates that if a band becomes unfinished in a space adjancent to a war space, then the enemy war column is "Drawn Off" to that space and the band retreats, Finished, to its closest Rancheria.
Hence if I place a band unfinished from Ranch A and place it such that it end closest to Ranch B and also is adjacent to the war column it would essentially "change" Rancherias. Worth a try I think!

3.2 PoT Counter Ok.

3.3 I activate Rancheria A.

I move 1 x (3-4) band + horse from UA1 to UA4 (2 moves)
I raid UA4 (1 move) with a 3 STR band and draw 3 x sucesses! Wow!
I take Horse, Captive, Captive
I place a ravaged token on UA4
I take my last move point and move to UA3 which, by my count, is closer to Ranch B than Ranch A.
I flip the band to unfinished and activate the WAR CARD EVENT on W07.
I move the War Column to UA3.
I flip the band to Finished in UA3 and place it and its resources in Ranch B!! I pulled it off!

Recall, also, that Ranch A is still active and has 2 remaining bands.

I take 1 x (2-5) band + horse + mahi and migrate to PAULO DURO CANYON.
This sets up Rancheria C in next PoT, but also leaves Ranch A with one (1) band, but a 3 on the Paraibo track possibly netting me some APs later. We shall see.

I retire the last band FINISHED from Rancheria A and move it to resources box in Ranch A.

I move ops counter down to the "3" space which will now require a check after next Player Operations round.

3.4 Operations Clean Up #7

Step 1 done
Step 2 I have one Finished Band in each of Ranch A and Ranch B. Ought to be easy to roll out off the free enemy action. We'll see.

I roll two (2) against Ranch A's (1) finished band hence no free enemy action.
I roll one (1) against Ranch B's (1) finished band and, sigh, a free action.

Roll 6 to activate SOUTH
Roll 1 to flip WAR* to SUBJ

I take space one, SUBJ, and remove the tribe from Rio Grande 5 and place the settlement.

Next draw from teh cup: +4 EAPs. Ugh.

Roll 5 to activate WEST
Roll 1 and flip Settle to WAR4.

Spend the 4 EAPs and guess what, West now has a War Column!!
I place the war column with (5-2) on its home enemy space. Note that I had to add one(1) strength to this band to account for the single settlement West has.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
OK folks. Snowdog_2112 here. I'm sure some of you will get the reference :-).

I, for one, got the reference. I'm surprised there wasn't more of a rush to respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
Corrections:

1. Other than what was noted in my edited first post, I failed to deduct 1 Military Point in my defense of Rancheria A in Round 3, and have since moved from 3 to 2 on the track.

I haven't read all the way through this latest update yet, but wanted to comment on this one item. You don't need to deduct 1 from your Military Points. Step 4 of the War Column Phase required you to fight a battle. Your Comanches won the battle, resulting in Battle Ends, War Ends and also ended the Battle Resolution procedure. Then, in Step 5 of the War Column Phase, you only apply its effects in each War Space. Since there is no longer a War column at your Rancheria, there is no War Space there. Thus, no need to penalize your Military Points.

I'm wrong here. I posted my correction down thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathmethman wrote:
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
OK folks. Snowdog_2112 here. I'm sure some of you will get the reference :-).

I, for one, got the reference. I'm surprised there wasn't more of a rush to respond.

I saw what you did there. I wasn't sure what the reference was, but guessed what it might be related to, based on the 2112 reference. It's been a very long time since I have listened to that album.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aha! Nice! Thanks again.

About to head back to the table to conclude this one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
longhunter

Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait for the next session report with pimped up components!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
***** Note used some pieces from TerraMystica and Agricola to enhance the board*****

In this third part of my session report (almost real time posting here)
I do need two more Passages of Time before I can realize the win condition, but so far it seems I am holding my own.

We pick up the action after west had just created its first war column already in close proximity to the pre-existing North War Column. I will need to find a way to fight these forces off and hold my territory for the win condition in Upper Arkansas.

So we begin:

3.1 War Columns
Draw Reshuffle (again) and I reshuffle
Draw W09 move West 1 to Llano Estacado 1.

Roll to check str reductions. West rolls 3 < 5, and reduces to (4-2). North (2-0) rolls 4, no change.

Draw W17 - When Revealed "Wide Open Spaces" reduces highest WC strenght by 2! So West goes to (2-1). A break for sure.

3.2 PoT counter ok.

3.3 Culture Action (4.2)

I have 2 Rancherias in two territories, so I get +2 culture, but I do not control so no bonus.

Culture track moves from 2 to 4.

Check Passage of Time (as my counter is in spot 3). Of course I roll a 1. Time for PoT.

4.4 Passage of Time

Step 1 All bands flipped to Unfinished
Step 2 Ranch A makes 1 x (1-6) band and spends a Bison
Ranch B makes 1 x (1-6) band and spends a Bison

Step 3 Ranch A upgrades 1 x (1-6) band to a (2-5) band spends a Bison

Step 4 Rancheria C created in Paulo Duro Canyon with the (2-5) band I placed there earlier
Place the band in the resources box with its horse and Mahi A.
Paraibo C places at value 2.
Mahi' A returned to Rancheria A with medicine of 0.
Mahi' C created in Rancheria C at medicine 1.

Step 5 No retirees
Step 6 Headman Death Checks
Par A: rolls 5 > 3, no effect
Mah A: no roll at 0 already
Par B: rolls 4 > 2, no effect
Mah B: no roll at 0 already
Par C: rolls 6 > 2, no effect
Mah C: rolls 4 > 2, no effect

Step 7 Mahi Medicine Rolls for 0 medicine status

Mahi A rolls 6, medicine set to 6/2 = 3
Mahi B rolls 4, medicine set to 4/2 = 2
Mahi C does not roll as medicine at 1.

Step 8 Return the four out of play success tokens to the cup

Step 9 No resources on the track

Step 10 Remove the tribe with the ravaged token on UA4!! Woot!!

Step 11 There are no peace/ally tokens to consider

Step 12 Roll 6 for bison placement, no empty circles so relocate RioGrande3 to UA2.

Step 13 Dev Cards 20,17,13 discarded with no discard effects
Draw cards 18, 10, 15 with no revealed effects

Step 14 Culture Card purchased TRADE 1. Culture moves from 4 to 3. This card allows me to trade for guns.

Step 15 Move ops token to START, move PoT counter down one spot (now just above the "3").

3.4 Operations Clean Up #8

Step 1 Done
Step 2 All bands unfinished, no rolls
Step 3 Draw 4 EAPs (+2 on the track = 6)
Roll 5 for West
Roll 3 to flip Settle to SUBJ3*

Top row WAR3. West has a war column, so we only execute 3.1 steps 1+2
Move West to UA3 (I must have draw a war card here for movement and did not make a note of which one)
Roll 3 for strength reduction, no change

Next Top Row action is War5 - only have 4 EAPs so we stop and note the track counter is not at 3 EAPs.

3.1 War Column(s) West and North

Draw W11, West move 1 from UA3 to UA4
North no move

Roll West 3 vs Str of 2, no change
Roll North 6 vs Str of 2, no change

Draw W20, Countermeasures: Surrender Captives (not a reveal effect)

3.2 PoT Counter Ok

3.3 Activate Rancheria B and set (1-6), (3-4) in track, leave (2-5) in resources box

TRADE ACTION:
Move 1 x (3-4) + horse + captive + Mahi' from RR6 to RR5 to visit the 1st Nations Tribe (1 move point)
Trade 1 Captives for 1 Guns (1 move point and 1 action point). Note that my AP counter is now on 1.
Note also that my TRADE1 culture card allows me to trade for GUNS with TRIBE and/or EAST ENEMY space or PEACE space.
Move 1 x (3-4) from RR5 to UA4 and mark finished (2 move points)
This puts 1 x (3-4) in the path of the fast approaching War Columns.

RAID with 1 x (1-6) to RR5. Draw 1 success, take bison place RAVAGED and go home.

Move ops counter down 1 spot.

3.4 Operations Cleanup #9

Step 1 done
Step 2 there is one (1) unfinished band in B, roll a 5 and no free action
Step 3 Draw ENEMY INSTRUCTION WAR6(north) from the cup!!

on to 6.2.2.C
North has an active WC, so we complete 3.1 (step 1+2)
Move the (2-0) north column from UA3 to UA4
Roll a 6 for str check and no change
Roll 3 and put ALLY in cup. WAR6 goes on top of the EID for north.

Note we still have 3 unspent EAPs, so we continue with 6.2.2A

Roll 3 for West
Roll 1 flip WAR5 to PEACE3

Spend 3 on PEACE3
Step 1 - no ravaged tokens in East
Step 2 - west has a war column active, but unfortunately it is in a space with my (3-4) Band on UA4 and the instruction terminates.

Enemy out of EAPs

3.1 War Column(s) North and West

So I had to make a rule assumption here - I have 2 war columns with my Band in 3-4, so I decide I must fight them both one at a time.
I choose to fight North first. Not sure this is how I am supposed to do this, but I wanted to fight the easier WC first as
North as a 0 modifier, versus -1 for West. So on with it:

Draw W10, but move doesn't matter as both are in an occupied space, UA4

Roll Strength checks (4 vs 2 and 3 vs 2) no changes

Draw W24, countermeasures "Successful Ambush", but alas I have but one AP so I couldn't do it anyway

The NORTH Battle:

Roll my GUNS dice and get (6,2) so I choose 6...really good.
Modifiers as follows:
+1 Horsemanship
+3 Band
+1 Mahi
-1 Finished
-0 Enemy Modifier
Total is 4 + 6 = 10, jsut dont roll a 1. I roll a 2 (close) and WColumn is now a (1-0)

Roll my GUNS for second battle against NORTH and roll (1,1) WHAT?? I guess they both jammed??
Same modifier toal of 4 + 1 guns = 5. Again, jsut don't roll a 1. I roll 3 and North WC is defeated.
I return the RAID2 back to the EID.
+1 to Mahi medicine in Ranch B.

Now on to WEST

Roll Guns (5, 1) and choose 5.
Modifiers now a 3, as I have -1 enemy modifier (2-1).
3 + 5 is 8, so just no natural 1's (an immediate loss). Roll 3 and WColumn is now (1-0).

Roll Guns (3, 1).
Modifier is now 4+3 (enemey modifer is now a 0), so again, dont roll a 1. Roll 2 and win.
War4 instruction goes back on the the EID.
+1 to Mahi Medicine in Ranch B.

Summary:

1. Created Rancheria C which could allow expansion into the south territories for hunting and raiding.

2. Bolstered Ranch A and Ranch B with new/upgraded bands

3. Fought off the two enemy war columns with a brilliant (obvious?) move/trade/move/finish with guns in the war space with my 3-4 band.

4. Managed to ravage a tribe in the event of PoT to avoid penalty, provided it holds.

5. Achieved the win condition...just need to get to roll for it while it still exists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And finally, the conclusion to my first official game of COMANCHERIA:

So its finally time to close this thing out and declare victory!!

Recall the quoute from Mike Tyson in the opening post...

Recap:

1. We have gained control of Upper Arkansas and now have 3 Racherias in 3 different territories. Good.
2. We traded for some GUNS and absolutely SHOT UP two war columns back to back. Great stuff!!
3. The PoT counter is ABOVE the forced check.
4. Our Ops counter is also ABOVE the forced check

Let's begin

3.1 We just killed them, so no W.C. actions

3.2 Activate Ranch B and lets do some Raiding

Raid Red River5 with 1 x (2-5) + horse
Draw 4 + 4 EAPs. Ouch.
Draw Ally3, so we need to resolve:
- Need to do a RECOVERY check, and the tribe we are raiding already has a tag, so I roll a one (1) and lose the tag.
- I begin to become concerned that my crap luck roll checks will become a trend...
Draw 2 EAPs
Draw Sucess + 4 EAPs. Correct, I just pulled out 1 of 8 sucess tokens and 3 of 5 4EAP tokens. Lady luck, where art thou?
I replace the ravaged token on RR5 and take a captive.

So the enemy now has 14 EAPs, violating an early prime directive of NOT allowing enemy too many EAPs. Sigh.

I head home and move the ops counter down one.

3.4 Ops Cleanup

I have 2 finished bands in Ranch B. And I roll a 1. Free action on top of the 14 EAPs they have. Yikes.
Luckily I draw a SUCCESS and put it back in the cup and move on to the 14 EAPs.

Roll 5 for West
Roll 6 and Flip WAR4 to SETTLE4

Top 4 actions = 12 EAPs so the enemy will get some work done today.

1st up: SUBJ3. RioGrande2 randoms out on top of Llano Estacoa2. Settlement is planted, now at 2 settlements.
2nd up: CULTURE3. I lose 1 + 2 = 3 Culture points (1 for the instruction +2 for each west settlement). My culture is now at 0.
3nd up: SUBJ3: Llano Estacado2 gets the tap and this tribe is sent packing and another west settlement goes on the board.
4th up: WAR3: No active column, no ravaged tags (see why its important to raid), so now we make a war column.
Strength is WAR3 + 3 settlements = 1 x (6-3) war column. Yowza. Placed on Yellow Square.

Enemy has 2 EAPs remaining on teh track and cannot proceed further.

3.1 War Column Phase

Draw West 2! Ouch! Moves from Yellow Square to UA3 and now I have lost control of the territory of Upper Ark (and the win condition)
Roll 2 and strength is reduced to (5-2)
Draw W03 - Revealed effect "Fast Moving Column" and draw W19 for no additional movement. We'll take it.

3.2 Culture Up
Have 3 rancherias, but no control, alas, but we net +3 cuture points, now counter is at 3.
Move ops down one to the "3" space requiring a roll check next time around.

3.4 Ops clean up
Draw Sucess and place in cup
2 EAPs on the track
Roll 1 for NORTH
Roll 4 and Flip Raid2 to Encr4
Top instruction is WAR6 and cannot be executed

3.1 War Column
Draw W14 and west moves to UA4
Roll 6, no change in strength
Draw W08 "Draw them Off"
On to battle with the (3-f) band I had in place from the last battle royal on this space.

Guns Roll (4,2)

Modifier Table:

Horsemanship +1
Mahi' Present +1
Band Str. +3
Finished -1
Enemy Band -2
Total +2+4 (guns) = 6. Only unmodified 1 loses. Rolls 2 and reduces to (4-2)

Roll Guns (5,3) and modifier is now +2+5=7. Rolls 5 and reduces enemy to (3-1)

Roll Guns (5,4) and modifier is now +3+5=8. Rolls 5 and reduces enemy to (2-1)

Everything is going great right! We are blowing this War Column up!

Roll Guns (6,4) and modifier is now +3+6=9. Rolls 1 and we lose! Reduce (3-F) to a (2-F).

Roll Guns (6,3) and modifier is now +2+6=8. Rolss 1 and we lose! Reduce (2-F) to a (1-F). But we have guns so we are all good.

Roll Guns (1,1) WHAT!!!???? and modifier is now +1+1=2. We need to roll a 4. Rolls 1 again! Battle is lost.

So by my count that is 5 die rolls of one(1) consecutively. So the odds of that happening are (1/6)^5 or 1/7,770.

3.2 While that was devastating we are NOT out of this fight yet.

Activate Ranch A
Send 1 x (2-5) with no horse from UA1 to UA4 and Finish. We'll be waiting for 'em.
Send 1 x (2-5) back to the resources box from the track and +1 AP

Check for PoT as we are on space 3. Guess what...a ONE(1)!! Now at 6 die rolls in a row upping the odds against to 1/46,600!!

4.4 Passage of Time

1 All bands set to unfinished
2 no new bands
3 spend one captive and raise a (2-5) to a (3-4) in Ranch B
6 H/M death Checks
Pa rolls 3=3 no effect
Ma rolls 3=3 no effect
Pb rolls 5>2 no effect
Mb already at 0
Pc rolls 1<2 and dies, moves to medicine 1
Mc rolls 1=1 and dies, remains at medicine 1

7 Mahi' B rolls 4/2 = 2 >3 on medicine track
10 Red River 5 is ravaged and removed from the game
12 Bison is placed on RioGrande3 after roll of six(6)
13 Development Cards discarded...Dev10 upon discard move PoT counter down one...uh oh. This puts PoT in "3" space.
Draw 14 - disease, reduce ranch C's single band to a (1-6)
Draw 16 and 9
14 Will not be purchasing culture cards

and so we get to the Passage of Time counter check which just got put into the "3" space, essentially denying me another "round"
to meet our victory conditions, albeit with a roll check. It would have been good to go out and fight some more to insure victory. Oh Well.

So, gentle reader, you may ask just how in the hell did this hapless general/chief get us into this really unfortunate situation?

I'm really bad at this game, but given it was my first try at least we had control for a short while!

Anyway, all is not lost. I still get to ROLL against the PoT Counter in Step 15. If I roll <=3 its >3 we fight on. So its 50/50 that we keep fighting.

And, guess what I rolled. You guessed it a BLASTED ONE(1)!!

Move to Victory Check. We don't have control of Upper Arkansas due to the failed battle against the War Column in UA4. Sigh.

Hence We Lose. The final photo:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nightfall 23
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Time to try again! Love your enthusiasm in your posts. Best of lucks for your next try, make the Comanche proud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
-------------- ROUND 6 ------------------

With my second 1 x (2-5) band + Horse I raid UA4 again and draw 2 + sucess. Enemy now has 8 EAPs in play.
I take a HORSE.
I place a RAVAGED token on UA4.
I return with 2 horses.

Note that you were allowed to take two prizes, one for each Success drawn, in that raid even though you can only place 1 Ravaged token per raid action.
Quote:
---------------------- ROUND 7 ------------------

I roll one (1) against Ranch B's (1) finished band and, sigh, a free action.

Roll 6 to activate SOUTH
Roll 1 to flip WAR* to SUBJ

I take space one, SUBJ, and remove the tribe from Rio Grande 5 and place the settlement.

The Subjugate action does not result in placing a Settlement if a tribe is removed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Rich. My shorthand is not good...I drew a 2EAP token and 1 sucess (ie, 2+success).

And regarding SUBJ...damn. I gotta read those instructions better.

I did this a couple of times, essentially giving the enemy a free SETTLE action along with the Subjugate.

sigh.

Well I am set up for the next go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
The NORTH Battle:

Roll my GUNS dice and get (6,2) so I choose 6...really good.
Modifiers as follows:
+1 Horsemanship
+3 Band
+1 Mahi
-1 Finished
-0 Enemy Modifier
Total is 4 + 6 = 10, jsut dont roll a 1. I roll a 2 (close) and WColumn is now a (1-0)

Confused over what happened here. You spend a Guns counter to roll 2 dice. Then you pick the highest one and that is your roll for that round of battle. You rolled (6,2), but then said just don't roll a 1. Maybe that was the 2nd round?

BTW, with a 3-strength band and the modifiers you listed, the only roll you would lose on is a 1. 2 or better gets you to 6 or modified 6.

OK, I see what you are doing. You are treating the Guns as another modifier rather than as your roll. They are used to improve your chances of getting a high die roll. They are not a modifier.

Quote:
Roll my GUNS for second battle against NORTH and roll (1,1) WHAT?? I guess they both jammed??
Same modifier toal of 4 + 1 guns = 5. Again, jsut don't roll a 1. I roll 3 and North WC is defeated.
I return the RAID2 back to the EID.
+1 to Mahi medicine in Ranch B.

If I was following correctly, you only had 1 Guns counter at the start of this big battle. Once you spend it (above) it is gone. I wish they lasted in the manner you showed here.
Quote:

Now on to WEST

Roll Guns (5, 1) and choose 5.
Modifiers now a 3, as I have -1 enemy modifier (2-1).
3 + 5 is 8, so just no natural 1's (an immediate loss). Roll 3 and WColumn is now (1-0).

Roll Guns (3, 1).
Modifier is now 4+3 (enemey modifer is now a 0), so again, dont roll a 1. Roll 2 and win.
War4 instruction goes back on the the EID.
+1 to Mahi Medicine in Ranch B.

Again, I don't think you had guns for that West battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
3.1 War Column Phase

Draw West 2! Ouch! Moves from Yellow Square to UA3 and now I have lost control of the territory of Upper Ark (and the win condition)

I don't think the presence of a War column means you've lost control of UA. See Comanche Controlled on page 2 and Enemy Space on page 3. A war column is not included in the definition of Enemy Space.

And that mean you didn't lose, you won!

(Nevermind the guns with endless ammo!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John S
msg tools
Give him six!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought those were Gatling Guns?

Working on the second game now. I will verify those rules for sure before proceeding further.

In that case taking HORSEMANSHIP out of the gate is WAY better than TRADE.

The permanent +1 mod if very good as it seems War Columns are inevitable. GUNS seem more like insurance rather than a tactic.

So do you have to declare your use of GUNS before you roll the first dice? Or do you basically keep that in your pocket in the event of a poor base roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
So do you have to declare your use of GUNS before you roll the first dice? Or do you basically keep that in your pocket in the event of a poor base roll?

Rules (page #8, right column) says that a Guns counter can be spent
Quote:
to roll two dice and select the highest die roll

I'd say that you have to spend it before (spending a Guns counter after you've already rolled smells a bit like cheating to me )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with EV. You either roll 1 die or spend a Guns counter and roll two dice and select the highest one from the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:
Snowdog_2112 wrote:
Corrections:

I haven't read all the way through this latest update yet, but wanted to comment on this one item. You don't need to deduct 1 from your Military Points. Step 4 of the War Column Phase required you to fight a battle. Your Comanches won the battle, resulting in Battle Ends, War Ends and also ended the Battle Resolution procedure. Then, in Step 5 of the War Column Phase, you only apply its effects in each War Space. Since there is no longer a War column at your Rancheria, there is no War Space there. Thus, no need to penalize your Military Points.

I need to correct what I posted above. You were right to deduct 1 Military Point in defense of your Rancheria. I need to do better at reading. Step 4 of the War Column Phase says to fight a battle in each War Space that contains an Allied Tribe or Band and specifically excludes Rancherias from this step. So if the War Column has reached a Rancheria, you move on to Step 5. And there, we see that you have two choices: 1.) pay 1 Military Point and fight a battle, or 2.) pay 2 Military Points, surrender all Captives and reduce War Column strength by 1 and place it back on the Enemy Space.

I just ran into this situation when a very powerful (+8) and fast South War Column reached my Rancheria B and I had little chance to survive that fight. So I paid 2 Military Points (had 3) and bought some time to do a Planning action and run them off to the safety of Palo Duro Canyon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.