Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Federation vs Borg (First Solo Game) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wookie mart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as alternate realities go, this one was by far one of the most rapid and efficient outings for the Federation I had ever experienced.
The early forays into the surrounding sectors turned out to be very fruitful for The first Federation Colonists. Ardana was an ideal first location soon followed by Capella with its rich dillithium deposits which were protected by an old Menthar Booby Trap. Both colonies would have a considerable impact on the growth of the fleets in no time.

Meanwhile somewhere far beyond the growing territory of the Federation, strange phenomenon were manifesting themselves, ethereal conduits were forming into a coalesced network that would soon have an impact on the entire galaxy.

With more sips available to them, Starfleet agreed to send some to study a Stellar Nursery a few sectors away from the Solar System. Focused study of the raw state of this rare phenomenon enabled the Cochrane Institute to make considerable advancements in stellar cartography and warp field theories.

This of course had a direct impact on Earth's colonization program, the next two colonies would be Sherman's Planet and Delta IV. While Sherman's Planet was besieged by a Space Amoeba and required extra efforts in order to secure, Delta IV's colonization would never come to pass, the ship that discovered the sector also encountered a strange alien known only as The Traveler. This individual's ability to transport vessels across vast distances led the crew to an Electrokinetic Cloud anomaly, which turned out to have immediate and devastating effects on any form of unshielded technology.

As far as First Contact protocols go, The Federation is the leading force in assuring a positive outcome but even they could never have predicted the events that would unfold in orbit above Bajor.
A long range Scout vessel came across a strange and colossal... vessel, for lack of a better term, while investigating earlier reports of disturbances in the area.
Nobody knows what happened to the crew for they were never again seen, but soon after more of the vessels were seen, first above Deneb V and then Delta IV. A science vessel returning from a research expedition to the Electrokinetic Cloud attempted to contact them, they immediately discovered the hostile intent of the species they discovered to be called The Borg, a cyborg species with technology light years ahead of what the Federation had available to them.
With some quick thinking and a generous ammount of luck, the Federation science vessel managed to lead the Borg back into the cloud and without the proper shielding the "Cube" vessel was instantly decimated.

With this new vital information the crew made their way back at maximum warp to Starfleet Command but to their dismay they discovered that the Borg were already in orbit around Earth and the grim realization that they were witnessing the end of humankind and most likely the United Federation of Planets as the Borg were systematically stripping away all that made Earth unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Varney
msg tools
Way to go, Wookie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
meeple Nice narrative!

I've so far failed in my attempt to mount a five player STA game before the Borg come out, just to see what it will be like. But will I be able to resist adding the Borg when they come out? Probably not, since I'll most likely have fewer than five players anyhow. We'll see what December gaming sessions offer...

I think the question on the boards soon will be: "Do you prefer your 5 Players to be with or without The Borg?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saro Gumusyan

New York
msg tools
mb
Seems like the Klingons are best suited for handling the Borg by themselves, since they can always rely on their disruptors during lengthy battles and if playing with focused research can enlighten all their crews with the courage and valor of Kahless as they ram into cubes for culture tokens and Borg advancements (including 'Ramming Speed'!). Granted you'd really need to load up on production nodes with no trade partners.

Of course the Klingons would have to engage the Borg to cash in on "Ever Victorious" since there would be no other fleets to prove their mettle against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Williams
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chas59 wrote:
I think the question on the boards soon will be: "Do you prefer your 5 Players to be with or without The Borg?"

Unless all 5 players are seasoned vets at the game, I'd say without. And even if you did put them in, I'd use the variant were you discover the transwarp hub instead of it starting on the board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ChromiumAgeCollector wrote:
chas59 wrote:

Unless all 5 players are seasoned vets at the game, I'd say without. And even if you did put them in, I'd use the variant were you discover the transwarp hub instead of it starting on the board.

I think there could be a way to house rule the borg into a playable faction. Think Turtle faction that starts in the Delta Quadrant (during the Enterprise and TOS era) then in order for the Borg player to win he has to assimilate or even invade the alpha quadrant but by then many of the other Civs would be working on their 4th and 5th Ascendancy tokesn (TNG era).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wookie mart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Marinealver wrote:

I think there could be a way to house rule the Borg into a playable faction.

It already is a playable faction, just lead a cube towards your home world and don't offer any resistance... next turn you are almost guaranteed to be a Borg player, assuming the other players don't attempt to defend your home world to avoid having to deal with your assimilated self
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Kolodner
msg tools
In our first game the Federation 1shot both cubes that showed up.

I may need to make the borg tougher somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SparrowRonin wrote:
In our first game the Federation 1shot both cubes that showed up.

I may need to make the borg tougher somehow.

Your Fed player was getting 9+ hits in a single round? That's either really impressive rolling or tying up a lot of their fleets resources.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.