Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Overview

In October of 1888, during the construction of the new Metropolitan Police headquarters near Whitehall, later to be called Scotland Yard, the remains of a body was found. In September, a severed arm had been discovered near the River Thames. Somebody is toying with the police, or is it Jack?

Random body parts are popping up around Whitehall of a women that nobody can identify, by someone, possibly Jack, that nobody can find. Suddenly, the body parts stop appearing, and the person responsible is never found.

In Whitehall Mystery, someone takes on the role of Jack, leaving the body parts around Whitehall, while everyone else plays as investigators attempting to find, and arrest him before he can slip away.

Overall Thoughts

I had my doubts about Whitehall Mystery when I first saw the news about it. I really like Letters from Whitechapel and it didn't sound like there were that many changes to make me want it. I, however, pulled the trigger when I learned later (or rather it clicked) that the game not only has fewer players but plays in a shorter amount of time. Letters is a long game, and while loved by the group I play with regularly, it can be a long game. Not that we are opposed to long games.

The day my shipment came in for Whitehall Mystery, I brought it with me to game night, and opened it. Sadly, it was missing pieces, but they were ones they had there thanks to Letters from Whitechapel, and while I was stuck playing a much too long of a game of British vs Pirates, I let 4 others play my Whitehall Mystery. By the next week one of the people that played my copy also picked up a copy, it is liked that much in the group!

Time-wise, I'm not sure how much shorter it is. While I have may plays of Letters under my belt, I only have 1 play since I've been logging my game plays, and that was 1 hour 9 minutes long. Jack did not win in that one by the way. My average for Whitehall Mystery is 1 hour 18 minutes.

Whitehall Mystery can be a bit swingy too. If you have 2 investigators on Jack, you are following his trail, the other one comes in to help close off the gap, and he slips by you, then you may be out of luck and Jack can be multiple turns away before you know it. While that happens, and it sucks, I don't see it as a negative to the game. You as the investigators need to make that decision to hold someone back for defense if need be, or send them up.

I love how Whitehall Mystery shrunk the board and made the pressure on Jack that much more. Almost from the start, Jack can be surrounded by the investigators, and it is very rare that you are by yourself if playing Jack. Normally at last 1 investigator is very close to you, and once they find your trail you can be surrounded very quickly.

Downtime in Whitehall Mystery is really not there. You need to be paying attention to Jack all the time, and when it's the investigators turn you need to be discussing what to do, and what Jack could have done. The player interaction is incredible for this reason too.

Whitehall Mystery scales very well. While I've only played with 3 and 4 players, others in my group have played with 2 and said it was good too, perhaps not as good, but good. It is rare to have a game scale this well from the minimum required to the max.

Final Thoughts

I am loving Whitehall Mystery, and the group I game with love it too. For them to go out and pick it up after 1 play, knowing that one of their members has it should speak volumes. If you are a fan of Letters, I HIGHLY recommend that you try this version.

Pros
+ Scales very well
+ More pressure on Jack
+ Theme is cleaner for kids
+ Downtime
+ Player interaction

Cons
- Not as short as they claim
- Investigator powers
- Extremely hard for Jack to win

Originally posted at IggyGames.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Happy to see more people enjoying this game.

Our two player games take around 35-40 minutes. We've had nearly equal success as Jack and the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also think Whitehall is an amazing game, but Whitechapel is still better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gns000 wrote:
I also think Whitehall is an amazing game, but Whitechapel is still better.

My main gaming group loves Whitechapel, but I think Whitehall took it over. While Jack almost never won in Whitechapel, we like the way Whitehall works a bit better. LOVE the smaller board.

I honestly can't say why we like it better, they are so close in gameplay, and time-wise isn't shorter for us. We talk things out a lot.

SuperGLS wrote:
We've had nearly equal success as Jack and the investigators.

First time playing as Jack with another group I did win, then when I played with my main group I got cocky near the end and tried to go for the long run when I was next to my 3rd drop spot, that got me caught.

I think the main group I play with pays to much attention and talks things out a lot to let Jack be able to get away, but that is kind of the thrill of the game, to be one of the few Jack players to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Frantz
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
igknight wrote:
Time-wise, I'm not sure how much shorter it is. While I have may plays of Letters under my belt, I only have 1 play since I've been logging my game plays, and that was 1 hour 9 minutes long. Jack did not win in that one by the way. My average for Whitehall Mystery is 1 hour 18 minutes.

Wow that's impressive. If my group gets to the 4th round (almost always), Letters tends to take us at least 2 to 2.5 hours due to all the investigators' discussion of where Jack could be after just about every move. It keeps it tense, but also makes for a long game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cowles
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would this (and perhaps Letters...) benefit from an hourglass for police discussions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pooley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Really helpful review, thanks.

How does Whitehall compare to Scotland Yard? I can see initial similarities with the map of London and the trying to track down a wanted criminal mechanic. Reason I ask is my family and friends love playing Scotland Yard but are also interested in the theme of this...is it different enough to warrant a purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lemieux
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
QuickBen wrote:
Would this (and perhaps Letters...) benefit from an hourglass for police discussions?

I've never needed one in any group I've played in with either game. I know some people have the analysis problem and can take freaking forever to move, so I guess it really depends on your group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.