Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was our/my first game of They Shall Not Pass. It was as much a learning experience with the game as it was a lesson in moderate scale WW1 operations. As such, the outcome reflects as much blundering into the nuances as any operational planning. Take this as being an overview of the game and a reflection of lessons learned.

The game opens with a French Corps, of 3 divisions, being attacked by 4 German Corps, 3 with 2 divisions and 1 with 3. In all the French have 20 infantry regiments trying to hold off 31 German regiments. Both sides have artillery and special support units. The French start entrenched, and have 2 fallback trench lines. The Germans have better quality units and an artillery advantage due to preparation and doctrine.

The general objective is for German player to get victor points. The outcome is a ring-the-bell scale with the Germans trying to attain 9 points, while the French want to hold them to under 6. A river marks the boundary of the eastern play area. That and logistical considerations on the west side, force the German drive onto an increasingly narrow front as the French receive reinforcements.

I had the French in our session. In our ignorance, neither of us understood the brittle nature of the German situation. I could maintain my line, mostly intact, against the German onslaught, falling back to the second line of trenches. I was being pushed onto the third line as the reinforcements began to stiffen my defense. An odd development was how my initial corps was forced to move more toward the center, with the reinforcements moving to shore up the flanks.In the middle game, my situation was still reactionary, but as more reinforcements arrived, the situation began to stabilize. On the last two turns, I was able to start counterattacking.

Lessons learned:
1. If the Germans have not gotten a break in the French line by turn 4, the game is over. That is the brittleness I mentioned before. The constricting front and French reinforcements mean the Germans MUST create a hole early.
2. Low odds attacks are not necessarily a bad choice. If your opponent is committing resources (like artillery) to keep your attack odds low, it creates better attack opportunities elsewhere.
3. Mixing Corps bad, mixing divisions good(ish). This mostly has to do with how the artillery ad supply rules work. Mixing divisions allows more artillery support. Mixing corps makes the supply situation harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Kopec
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi, Peter!
How are you?
I'm OK.

The various divisions in "They Shall Not Pass"
have varying numbers of units per division.

This makes me suspect that my copy is incomplete.

If you can send me an Order of Battle for
"They Shall Not Pass,"
I'll send you geek gold and U. S. dollars.

Jeff Kopec

P. S.:
As I see it,
the key to German victory is Rule 8.44,
which enables attackers to penetrate any spot
that does not have a defender in every hex.
JBK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can check to see if I have an OOB. Before you get too excited, the divisional structure does vary quite a lot. Some divisions have as many as 6 regiments while others have as few as 3. German pioneers are 1 or 2 per division, except with the 5th Corps, which has none in any of its formations.

For a quick start, check countersheet scan:

German victory is much harder than it looks. Infiltration doesn't happen with strong ZOCs, and the front is covered by them. Another thing is that to advance the attacker will take more casualties than the defender. Pioneers really take it on the chin.

I played the Germans a month or 2 ago. Did quite well, but it takes a lot of effort to keep the French retreating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a manifest, there isn't one on Grognards either. You're stuck with the counter scan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.