Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a second round of Sekigahara with my dad last Wednesday, the day after our first game. We stuck with the same sides, but things went different from the beginning, partly because I had trouble forming a decent siege force as Ishida at first. Also, Maeda stayed in place for a while, so I grabbed Miyazu in the north during week 2, and then sat for a bit.

My dad slowly bottled up and reduced all resistance in the west, gaining an early lead on resources that lasted the rest of the game. He didn't immediately take Aizu castle, but Uesugi was bottled up there, and he took Ueda. I sent an 'efficient' siege force into Anotsu to take it, and regain a lead in castles... and then had to waste a lot of time trying to figure out how to shuffle forces in there, with the goal of taking out Fukushima in Kiyosu, and holding it to prevent any reinforcements from mustering there, and then taking Okazaki castle.

With the net drawing tighter around Uesugi, I drove south towards Edo, forcing troops to return there, and they then forced a battle with me. It was a bloody affair that I won, since I had a good four-block army that I could use to full impact, since I finally had some Uesugi cards, and I managed to successfully use a Loyalty Challenge to end the battle tied at 16-16. It was a Pyrrhic victory as I lost two of four blocks in the process, and kept the two three-mon Uesugis as a force that might possibly kill a block.

My dad also sent Maeda out to retake Miyazu, and I sneaked a four-block army into Kanazawa and took that in a seige. Despite trying to go first and have another battle at Kitanosho (or Tsuruga, I don't remember), Tokugawa won the bid, and forced a follow-up battle at Kanazawa, which he won, leaving me one block. What he didn't realize was that the one survivor in the castle, which had not deployed, was Ishida himself! I force-marched another army up there at the start of Week 7 and won that battle, driving his army out and retaining control of the castle.

I burned three cards in force marches on the 'B' turn of Week 7 to get everything juuust right and block my dad from getting far. He tried another fight at Kanazawa as the finale, but didn't have the cards to deploy much and couldn't win that battle either.

The VPs were 16 (6 castles + 4 resources) to 11 (3 castles + 5 resources), only 1 point closer than the first game. But in reality this was a tense game all the way through, as I never built up the really large hand I got last time (partly because of a number of forced marches), and more and more blocks were going to Tokugawa. I nearly lost the game at the first battle in Kanazawa, but had the foresight to keep Ishida hidden. Also, the successful Loyalty Challenge in Oyama kept Uesugi as a threat a bit longer, when my dad really needed that area wrapped up.

Situation at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice write up!

Was that 2-0 to Ishida?

It's interesting, I believe Tokugawa was felt to be stronger in the first edition, and then they introduced of a couple of extra pieces to the Uesugi force in the second edition. Balance is such a fine thing in these games since there are so many in-game variables to influence this over the course of a game. If anything, however, we have found Ishida to now have a slight advantage.

For Tokugawa, a lot depends on Maeda and which direction he goes. Do you go west and put pressure on Ishida homelands or do you go east to ensure Uesugi's demise and secure the East? Or do you try a bit of both, going east then west as soon as Uesugi is done, and burn a few more cards force marching?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Pollock
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also the rush potential if you get a big Tokugawa recruitment box on the first turn. Forego everything and charge west to capture and kill Ishida.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting AAR's(both first and second game)!

Sekigahara it is not a game you can play like doing a puzzle, following same course of action all the time.

I have found a good strategy for Tokugawa is to mobilize Date against Uesugi, capture Ueda as fast possible with Tokugawa army (although moving such a big army will require to burn some cards in Forced March), then like that 90's Pet Shop Boys song, 'Go West'! Even if Date cannot overwhelm Uesugi, you can always muster blocks at Edo which makes a good deterrent should Uesugi might be tempted to attack there and nearby Hakone castle.

In regards to Ishida, I think a good game beginning must include the capture of Miyazu, Anotsu and if possible Okazaki; in that way you can create a sort of 'power base' and attain a lead in castles (depending of what happens at Ueda)...Okazaki could be harder due to nearby Fukushima army, while the only issue I see with Kanazawa is its location way to the East...

As for Gifu it would be nice to hold, but if Tokugawa army moves throught Nakasendo good chances are will get captured; the idea there is to make Tokugawa loose some time (and few valuable cards) while consolidating Ishida positions in the west.

As said, this is a great game and if approached with the 'puzzle' mentality it might work once or twice, but not all the time...

No questions, a gem of a game!

Regards,

Jumval

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got first edition, but we're using the revised setup. Personally, I think the two extra Uesugi blocks are way too much for any balance problems. I might buy one more Uesugi block and one more random instead.

As Ishida, I like to take Miyazu early, and both times I evacuated one block out of Ueda early so that there would only be a siege there (instead of a battle that kills multiple blocks), and buy time with Tokugawa having to kill two blocks and the disk. Anything after that is opportunism.

Remember, I've played this game several times over the years (just not constantly), so my wins are partially a greater familiarity with what I'm doing, though the difference between the two plays show how much my dad figured out during the first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valle
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On my case, I have and play the game as per first edition.

I have not tried the revised setup.

Regards,

Jumval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugues Richard
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
What matters in life is not the triumph nor the struggle but the triumph by tie breaker.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm teaching the game, I either play 1st Ed. Gold or 2nd Ed. black.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.