Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Moser
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So we pulled out Tournament at Camelot yesterday for a 5-player game. I'd never played, or even heard of it before. In fact, only two of us had played it previously, and only one time. So it took a little while to get through the rules explanation, but eventually all was clear (sort of) and we plowed ahead.

In the first melee, B played a Deception card and then reminded us that his character allowed him to skip taking any trick into which he had played Deception, so the cards stayed in the middle. This continued for 3 or 4 more melees, by which point there were 3 Merlins, an Apprentice, and numerous Deception cards piled up waiting to be claimed. Somewhere in the course of that, C played some ability (I don't remember the details) that doubled the damage dealt by Perception. Then T, to my left, informed us that the card she had placed under Guinevere also doubled damage from Perception. Guess who ended up taking the trick?

I took one other trick before the round ended, for a total loss of 325 points. That first trick was somewhere between 250 and 300 points, probably much closer to 300. Despite playing with three Godsends in the 2nd round, the game ended thereafter as I could not regain enough life to make up for the one trick I took.

Everybody was apologetic and felt pretty bad about the clobbering I got, but we had fun with it, and I'm definitely willing to play it again. Just wanted to share the tale of my first disastrous tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Levad
United States
Selah
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one of those things where you say "I'm terribly sorry that happened to you but it was kind of cool."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Shannon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
dmoser22 wrote:
So we pulled out Tournament at Camelot yesterday for a 5-player game. I'd never played, or even heard of it before. In fact, only two of us had played it previously, and only one time. So it took a little while to get through the rules explanation, but eventually all was clear (sort of) and we plowed ahead.

In the first melee, B played a Deception card and then reminded us that his character allowed him to skip taking any trick into which he had played Deception, so the cards stayed in the middle. This continued for 3 or 4 more melees, by which point there were 3 Merlins, an Apprentice, and numerous Deception cards piled up waiting to be claimed. Somewhere in the course of that, C played some ability (I don't remember the details) that doubled the damage dealt by Perception. Then T, to my left, informed us that the card she had placed under Guinevere also doubled damage from Perception. Guess who ended up taking the trick?

I took one other trick before the round ended, for a total loss of 325 points. That first trick was somewhere between 250 and 300 points, probably much closer to 300. Despite playing with three Godsends in the 2nd round, the game ended thereafter as I could not regain enough life to make up for the one trick I took.

Everybody was apologetic and felt pretty bad about the clobbering I got, but we had fun with it, and I'm definitely willing to play it again. Just wanted to share the tale of my first disastrous tournament.

Lovely Story. Crazy stuff happens sometimes. However, as per page 8, no card can ever be more then doubled. So you likely took around half the damage you thought. Still insane, but not game ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.