GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
7,741 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
22 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

When I Dream» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A thorough review of When I Dream - Roll to Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Norris
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Best viewed with images at http://rolltoreview.com/2017/12/05/when-i-dream/

Am I the only one who finds the ‘party games’ nomenclature weird? I was brought up on Hollywood’s definition of party meaning: loud music, pookah shell necklaces, dancing, drugs, that one dude yelling ‘Party’, alcohol, and more recently, sexual harassment. Nowhere in that idea is someone lugging around a 12-player party pack of Telestrations, asking the DJ to cut the noise for a rules explanation. However, if you know of a party like that; put me on the guest list.

When I Dream, designed by Chris Darsaklis, is a 4-10 player party game. One way to describe it is imagining a Venetian pleasure palace. If you’re unfamiliar, they blindfold you and rub fruits over your body. You have no idea what's being rubbed where, but it's meant to be stimulating. When I Dream uses words instead of fruits, and confusion instead of stimulation. There’s really no similarity except that in both situations you're blindfolded. Oh well, not all similes can be winners.

How to Play

The game begins with role cards being distributed to each player. The deck of mostly one-word cards is placed in the centre of the table, and one person dons a blindfold and becomes the Dreamer, or soon to be victim of wallet theft. A two-minute sand timer is flipped and the player next to the dreamer begins the round.

Everyone takes turns giving a one-word clue about the card on top of the deck to the dreamer. These clues can’t be a derivative of the word, sound like the word, or be the word itself. If someone breaks these rules, they take a 1-point penalty and the card is discarded.

At this point everyone is throwing words at the dreamer like it’s verbal dodgeball. The dreamer has a choice of guessing what the word is, or passing. If they guess correctly the card is placed in the bright yellow happy box, otherwise it gets placed in the blue nightmare box. Passing also puts the card in the nightmare box, which is fair enough, because you should never give up on your dreams.

The three roles in the game are: the fairies, the boogeymen, and the sandmen. Fairies and the dreamer earn one point for every correctly guessed card. The boogeymen earn one point for each incorrect card. The sandmen work a bit differently. They get bonus points at the end of the round if the number of correct and incorrect cards are equal.

After two minutes, the dreamer gets a bonus round where they must name all correctly guessed cards in the form of Martin Luther King’s ‘I had a dream’ speech. Doing so gives them +1 to their speech proficiency and awards them a couple extra points. The next person becomes the dreamer and a new round begins. Once everyone has had a dream, add up the points and declare a winner.

The Good

When I Dream hits all the beats for a good party game. It’s easy to teach, it has a novel gimmick, there’s teamwork, it has a quick consistent pace, there’s moments of hilarity and humility, and most importantly, it’s enhanced with alcohol.

What’s interesting to me, is that each of the roles brings a new perspective and gameplay elements to an otherwise simplistic task of giving a one-word clue. To analyse it fully, we need to break it down role by role.

The Dreamer: The guessing of words isn’t as straight forward as it first appears. Sure, you’re trying to guess the card, but on top of this, you’re also trying to find out who you can trust. Sometimes a suspicious clue giver is just trying an alternate line of clues. For instance, you hear the words office, puncture, stationary, red, and you may think red is the odd one out. Until you remember the red stapler from Office Space. In game, you don’t have the time to make these in-depth assessments and instead need to rely on your gut. As the round plays out your gut gets better and better at weeding out the nasties, but by that time it’s usually too late.

The other part of this is discerning when to make your guess. Too soon, and you haven’t heard enough truthful information. Too late, and you’re just wasting time. Also, there’s only so many obvious clues for each word. Meaning that you get the most useful clues first, and if you can’t get it with them, it makes people become more creative and tangential, diluting the ideas you first thought of.

The sleep mask adds an unquantifiable element to this game. Being blindfolded adds stress. Not from anything external, but from losing your sight for an extended period. It’s uncomfortable and keeps you on edge, making you lean in and pay attention to the clue givers. However, it also makes you eager to answer. Since you’re the centre of attention there’s an unspoken need to do well and not disappoint.

Finally, after the round is over and the dreamer weaves their tale. It’s fun to hear the stories they come up with stumbling through both correct and incorrect words – they have no idea which is which. It’s ridiculously hard to remember them all, especially after the mental gymnastics you’ve just gone through. That is, unless you’re Mike Ross, which brings up another question: does a photographic memory still work when you can’t see?

The Fairy: Having to get a person to guess a word out of the 171,476 words in the English language is an uphill battle. With a five second limit, it gives you little time to think of the perfect clue. You must decide quickly if you’re going to continue the current line of clue giving, or change the angle of attack. That’s not all though, you also need to weed out those who are supplying false information and refute them. All of this, one word at a time.

The Bogeyman: As a bogeyman (or bogeywoman) your goal is to resemble a trustworthy clue giver, but also doing enough to throw the dreamer off the trail. It’s like a job interview, outright lying is obvious. However, embellishing the truth is much more compelling. Since the dreamer doesn’t know they’ve been tricked, it’s a victimless crime, except for the anguished looks from the fairies round the table.

Here’s a bogeyman example that I’m proud of, but probably shouldn’t be. The word was gorilla. The words hairy, monkey, big, were thrown out by others. When it came to my turn I said orange, this lead the poor, dumb, magnificent dreamer to immediately guess orangutan. The angry looks of everyone around the table, was delicious. Such a great gaming moment.

The Sandman: The sandman (…or sandwoman) gets to play Judge Judy and executioner. Siding with whichever faction is behind, they get the best experiences of both previous roles. Though usually they’re with the fairies. They also need to time the end of the round, as a quick answer could throw out the balance they’ve worked so hard to achieve.

The Bad

The gimmick with the blindfold allows for trepidation when introducing the game and selecting the first dreamer. No one wants to look silly, especially when playing in an office environment.

Next up, the scoring system needs work. As the dreamer, you don’t know who’s on what team, so if the current winner is a fairy, a point for you, is a point for them. To get the best point differential is to guess all the cards you got correctly during the bonus round. Therefore, the best strategy is to guess one card correctly, and then stay silent for the remainder of the round. This makes it easy to remember what card you guessed. Done right, the scores end up with the fairies, and sandmen getting one point each, boogeymen get no points, and the dreamer wins with three points. This isn’t in the spirit of the game, but then the game doesn’t reward the dreamer for taking a lot of guesses. Which I think is to the games detriment.

The biggest disappointment for me was that the components broke. After the second game the blindfold broke, which I was fine with, but then the sand timer started stopping intermittently. Repos Production probably didn’t account for the Australian humidity, which feels like you’re walking through jelly. At the same time, when you buy something there’s the expectation that it should work.

When I Dream also faces all problems word games face. Such as restricting its accessibility across languages. The game is extremely difficult for people who aren’t strong at English. On top of this there’s a lot of localised words, or words not common in day to day talk. A couple of them off the top of my head: melon, mason, minotaur, parasol and bell pepper – which in Australia we call capsicum for some reason.

Lastly, when you play it enough you get a vague idea of the what the words are going to be. This takes a bit of the shine off When I Dream, because it makes it easier to guess some of the words. Especially those that have a small clue pool.

The Verdict

I really enjoyed this game. The mechanics are simple, so it’s easy to bring out and get going. When it works, and people are leading and misleading the dreamer, it works extremely well. However, there are enough problems, namely the scoring system, and component quality to make me hesitant to give it full marks. Therefore, I won’t. However, I still highly recommend this game, and can’t wait for the inevitable adult only sequel: When I Wet Dream.

Unfortunately not the perfect dream, but almost. So close! Have you played When I Dream? What are your thoughts? What about other party games? If you liked this review, head on over to www.rolltoreview.com there's a lot more where this came from!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review! I agree, it's a very fun party game. However, after playing it a couple times in a row we were getting close to having some repeats.

This game needs more cards bad!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darsaklis
Greece
Peristeri, Athens
-
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for this great review!!!

Skombie wrote:

Next up, the scoring system needs work. As the dreamer, you don’t know who’s on what team, so if the current winner is a fairy, a point for you, is a point for them. To get the best point differential is to guess all the cards you got correctly during the bonus round. Therefore, the best strategy is to guess one card correctly, and then stay silent for the remainder of the round. This makes it easy to remember what card you guessed. Done right, the scores end up with the fairies, and sandmen getting one point each, boogeymen get no points, and the dreamer wins with three points. This isn’t in the spirit of the game, but then the game doesn’t reward the dreamer for taking a lot of guesses. Which I think is to the games detriment.

Let me agree with your observation on the point system. Because we saw this at playtests where gamers found this way to earn more points, we had a rule in the first edition.

The rule was that after a number of clue rounds the timer stops and the dreamer must make a guess. For example in a 4 player game if every player has said 3 words and the dreamer hasnt made a guess, the timer stops and he must make a guess before continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Norris
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No Chris! Thank you for this great game!

It's interesting you took out that rule in this edition. However, I could see people get confused about how many clues they'd already given for a word considering the pace of the game. Also, how do you pause a sand timer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darsaklis
Greece
Peristeri, Athens
-
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skombie wrote:
No Chris! Thank you for this great game!

It's interesting you took out that rule in this edition. However, I could see people get confused about how many clues they'd already given for a word considering the pace of the game. Also, how do you pause a sand timer.

Well it is not so difficult as it seems, to keep track that this is the 3rd clue you say for a card. But next time you can try it, nothing to lose.
As for the sandtimer, someone (the best is the player at the left of the dreamer) has it near him and drop it on the side when he must to stop it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Chapman
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kira13 wrote:
Well it is not so difficult as it seems, to keep track that this is the 3rd clue you say for a card. But next time you can try it, nothing to lose.
As for the sandtimer, someone (the best is the player at the left of the dreamer) has it near him and drop it on the side when he must to stop it.

Hey, Chris. May I ask two questions: (A) why did you take this rule out in later editions and (B) do you still play with this rule when you play?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Darsaklis
Greece
Peristeri, Athens
-
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well it was not up to me to pull out this rule. I guess this happened to make the game simpler with no too much explaining on the rules.

When i play with gamers i suggest it and they choose, but when i play with non gamers we simply enjoy the game as it is..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Chang

North Richland Hills
TX
msg tools
mb
How about instead of an all-or-nothing situation for the dream, give partial credit? So if the dreamer guesses three words correctly, if he only mentions two of the words, he gets two bonus points. One point for only mentioning one. Three for mentioning all three. It will give incentive to the dreamer to guess more while not having too much pressure on remembering every single clue. Plus it doesn't really unbalance it since everyone gets to be the dreamer once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.