Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new Mysterium: Secrets & Lies expansion for Mysterium is designed by Oleksandr Nevskiy and Oleg Sidorenko.

The first expansion, Mysterium: Hidden Signs, didn't add any new gameplay. This one does… sort of.

First of all there are 42 new Vision cards, in the same style as before.

There are also six pairs of new cards for Characters, Locations and Objects. That adds variation, but the play of the game is the same.

The new gameplay component is the "Story Cards", 18 pairs of cards which, it is suggested, should replace the Objects.

These will be rather more challenging, though, because they depict circumstances related to the death: a game of poker with everyone in masks, a policeman at his desk, a dog race, a figure with a petrol can near a burning barn, a rainy night and an open car…

I'm not sure how well these will interact with the Location cards: a greyhound race in the nursery? Perhaps events at the race were the inspiration for the murder? The equivalent expansion for the original Polish version of the game called them "Motive Cards", and conceptually that might work a bit better.

The very obvious missing element here, though it would prolong the game, would be to use the Story Cards as well as the Object Cards, presumably by adding some rounds to the game and considering the number of Psychic Points required for each number of cards at the final stage. There's some work being done on BGG to develop this.

So now, clearly, I need to design and 3d-print a new inlay for the box to hold everything. The components and cards escape all the time already, even without adding in this expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Johnson
Canada
St.John's
Newfoundland
flag msg tools
designer
“Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman’s taken my life, But what does it matter, for all men must die, and I’ve tasted the Dornishman’s wife!”
badge
"Oak and iron guard me well, or else I'm dead and doomed to hell." - Andal proverb.
mbmbmbmbmb
I love this set. Especially the Ghost cards. They are absolutely gorgeous. I liked them more than the most recent Dixit expansion (Harmonies). I don't see myself using the Story cards. This game is hard enough as it is. They do look wonderful, though. I hope it is not Asmodee's intention to make yearly expansions the way that Dixit does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Eeeville wrote:
I love this set. Especially the Ghost cards. They are absolutely gorgeous. I liked them more than the most recent Dixit expansion (Harmonies). I don't see myself using the Story cards. This game is hard enough as it is. They do look wonderful, though. I hope it is not Asmodee's intention to make yearly expansions the way that Dixit does.

The story cards are definitely harder than the weapons, but I think it's more fun (only one play so far) I've found that the weapons were previously a little anticlimactic: after several rounds of discussion for the location and character, the weapons were almost always guessed on the first try without much thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Roberts
United States
Pinckney
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know this is a litttle late. But if you play the polish rules the weapon and person timing is swapped. Meaning you first do weapons, then location, finally the people. Keeps the tension at the end and is a relatively minor change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger BW
United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea, thanks - I might try that some time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.