Fallout» Forums » Reviews

Subject: The game that keeps giving - Fallout rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Scarbrough
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
We all know video game movies are generally a terrible idea. The plot is never the same, the acting is almost always sub-par, and the general effects of the movie are pretty bad. The same concept can be applied to a board, tabletop, or card game as well. Licensing is all the rage, and it's generally just a skin on top of an already created game engine.

Fallout, however, pushes the boundary with it's originality. I was genuinely stunned at how amazing this game is. It was so quick to learn, and the mechanics seem SO easy, yet the game can be complex in just the right ways. Thanks to the MASSIVE quest deck, the replayability is incredible. The preset scenarios are nice, with just the perfect touch of random generation thanks to the face-down random tile placement in the unexplored zones.

It's a fantastic multiplayer experience, with a good amount of competition and a little co-op. Although, rarely do I find a game that I love to play alone, as well as with friends, equally. It's seriously like playing the video games.

Fantasy Flight has, once again, knocked it out of the park with their components, too. I love the pieces, and the models are AMAZING. the sculpts for the characters are super detailed, and I look forward to painting them. The cards are the nice, weaved material like most FF games, and I LOVE the bottle-cap money pieces. I always tend to catch myself playing with them.

This game easily took my place for game of 2017, but I am a fanboy of the series. But this game is definitely worth a look at. Head to your local game store and see if they have a copy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this a shill? Per your profile, you own one game (Fallout) and you've only made one post (Fallout review). Your raving review sounds like an infomercial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
Is this a shill? Per your profile, you own one game (Fallout) and you've only made one post (Fallout review). Your raving review sounds like an infomercial.

Oh come now, I'm sure FFG can afford more established shills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Are you saying FFG is the Russia of the gaming world?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
mbmbmb
Nyet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:
you own one game [...] and you've only made one post.

... which is true of every single user on this site at some point in their history, including you. You gotta start somewhere man.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with the review, it's a fun game. Sure, the agenda scoring is a thing but there are some good variants presented in these forums if you have issue with the game as-is. Light on details/mechanics and more of an impression than a review, I suppose--but I'm not seeing anything misleading. Good stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFettMan21 wrote:
Licensing is all the rage, and it's generally just a skin on top of an already created game engine.

Fallout, however, pushes the boundary with it's originality.

Fallout is a reskin of Runebound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:

Not really, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Purcell
United States
Amherst
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Master Turtler
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
GorillaGrody wrote:

Not really, no.

But basically, yes, it is. This is fun.

To elaborate, there is point-to-point movement on a map, AI monsters that activate as part of a decision tree that includes Quest/Encounter/Rest/Fight etc based on Martin Wallace's original 2-action turn structure and story beats based on card pulls. Some things are reshuffled and improved, but it's basically the same sketelon and most of the same meat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Oh, sure, yes, we can certainly be very loose with the definition of "reskin." Similarly, Runebound is itself a reskin of Talisman.

This is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
tumorous wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Thing is the DNC/Spy-Agency-Folks are a bunch of losers. Sure Russia has its own troll factories, so have others. Don't blame Russia (or Russias Trolls) for Trump.

Any bigger elections are being influenced by social-media and mass-media manipulation (and always have been as soon as a relevant media channel was created). Better find some channels around it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Bartok
Germany
Zwingenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Interaction leads to Immersion.
badge
Immersion leads to Fun.
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
Oh, sure, yes, we can certainly be very loose with the definition of "reskin." Similarly, Runebound is itself a reskin of Talisman.

This is fun.

But is it?
I found both horrible to play but not related to each other pretty much.
Aside... horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
tumorous wrote:
GorillaGrody wrote:

Not really, no.

But basically, yes, it is. This is fun.

To elaborate, there is point-to-point movement on a map, AI monsters that activate as part of a decision tree that includes Quest/Encounter/Rest/Fight etc based on Martin Wallace's original 2-action turn structure and story beats based on card pulls. Some things are reshuffled and improved, but it's basically the same sketelon and most of the same meat.

It sounds to me like you're describing the adventure game genre.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.M. Diller
United States
North Street
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
madhatter wrote:
you own one game [...] and you've only made one post.

... which is true of every single user on this site at some point in their history, including you.

This isn't true at all. Most people who take the time to establish an account and put in their info would have more than one game. Even if they started with only one game, it would actually be uncommon for them to just dive in and write a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Blank
Germany
Münster
Northrine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
badge
If the sun was always shining and our load always light // We’d be shaking like a leaf with every God given night // And we’d break under the weight // Of any pain that ever came in this life
mbmbmbmbmb
When you can't even be overly enthusiastic about a board game anymore without being accused to be a shill, I don't know what this hobby is even supposed to mean anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hunter
Canada
Red Deer
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolmogorv wrote:
When you can't even be overly enthusiastic about a board game anymore without being accused to be a shill, I don't know what this hobby is even supposed to mean anymore.

Agreed.

I enjoyed my single solo play of this game too. Really enjoyed it actually. Is it a problem if I add this comment here saying so?

The game feels true to the video game. It has an interesting narrative. I'm unsure about the agenda scoring sure but I don't care really as I was having fun and, after all, isn't that what its supposed to be about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hot Rod
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
madhatter wrote:

Getting a strong Enclave vibe here. We know it's you, John Henry Eden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GorillaGrody wrote:
TheFettMan21 wrote:
Licensing is all the rage, and it's generally just a skin on top of an already created game engine.

Fallout, however, pushes the boundary with it's originality.

I see Fallout as a hybrid baby between Mage Knightand Eldritch Horror, with a Fallout skin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel P
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
tumorous wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Certainly not USA - FFG is exporting boardgames, not guns,bombs and Nikki Haley. And you will not get droned for failure to buy!.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Random Hajile
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
madhatter wrote:

I've looked over madhatter's game collection. Percentage-wise, his collection has very few Fantasy Flight games. 13 games out of over 400 when not including expansions. Most telling, he owns Cosmic Encounter, but NOT the updated and widely considered most complete FFG-produced version. Is he a shill for competing companies trying to stamp down enthusiasm for one of the holiday season's biggest games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomHajile wrote:
madhatter wrote:

I've looked over madhatter's game collection. Percentage-wise, his collection has very few Fantasy Flight games. 13 games out of over 400 when not including expansions. Most telling, he owns Cosmic Encounter, but NOT the updated and widely considered most complete FFG-produced version. Is he a shill for competing companies trying to stamp down enthusiasm for one of the holiday season's biggest games?

Devil's advocate - fair play. However, your information is not accurate. I've spent a couple thousand dollars on FFG products over the years. I'm guessing you didn't see how much of LotR: LCG, Stars Wars: LCG, Imperial Assault, and Armada I own? Between those four alone, you're looking at well over $1k. I've been quite a good customer of theirs. It pays to be more thorough with your analysis.

EDIT: In order to prevent this thread from locking or getting into a pissing match (which won't end well for anybody), I'd prefer to not hash this out in this thread more. @Random: If you disagree with my comments above, feel free to PM me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Roche
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomHajile wrote:
madhatter wrote:

Agent provocateur...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alcahaelas wrote:
Nothing wrong with the review, it's a fun game. Sure, the agenda scoring is a thing but there are some good variants presented in these forums if you have issue with the game as-is. Light on details/mechanics and more of an impression than a review, I suppose--but I'm not seeing anything misleading. Good stuff.

Back to the OP.

I like the game mechanics and sense of exploration and encounters. The dissonance comes with the Agenda cards. Playing solo, I also have to ensure I win... which I barely managed to do, scraping by with 11 points just as the Shield faction reached the end of the track.

But I had so many side quests on-going ... the Commonwealth storyline hadn't resolved yet ... my feeling was : I'm enjoying the game ... suddenly it ended ... and I'm feeling a bit flat.

So I'm kind of divided about the game. I'm enjoying the game as I'm playing it (solo) but the end game mechanism is really jarring.

Maybe it's better with multi-player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Reeves
United States
Saint Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Chinkster wrote:
Alcahaelas wrote:

Back to the OP.

I like the game mechanics and sense of exploration and encounters. The dissonance comes with the Agenda cards. Playing solo, I also have to ensure I win... which I barely managed to do, scraping by with 11 points just as the Shield faction reached the end of the track.

But I had so many side quests on-going ... the Commonwealth storyline hadn't resolved yet ... my feeling was : I'm enjoying the game ... suddenly it ended ... and I'm feeling a bit flat.

So I'm kind of divided about the game. I'm enjoying the game as I'm playing it (solo) but the end game mechanism is really jarring.

Maybe it's better with multi-player?

There is a solo player thread, we all agree with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.