Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go again. I tried scenario #2 one time. Friday died on an unsuccessful explore on the very first day. Yes, I didn't think that was possible either, but it is. His first action of the game....dead!!

At any rate, the fog and the crosses never resonated for me, so I decided to move on to scenario #3. I have a daughter names Jenny, so saving Jenny of a rock island was a scenario that I could relate to. By random draw, Robinson and Friday started with 2 biscuits and a pistol with two bullets.

Day 1 -- day of exploration
In the morning, Robinson explored the river just east of the beach with the dog. They discovered signs of a predator. They also found some herbs, a fallen tree (which yielded some wood), and an old ruined hut which yielded even more wood. Not a bad haul of wood for just a morning of exloration!

In the afternoon Robinson explored the headwaters of that river to the north-east. He slipped on some slippery rocks and hurt himself pretty badly. He also discovered some poison. He started thinking about fashioning a pot so that he could mix the poison. The whole area near the river was wasted after a massive fire. The fish in that part of the river completely fled the area.

Fiday explored the mountains to the south-east. He found some vines which could be used to strengthen defenses back at camp. He also discovered an old cemetery which freaked him out and made him much less certain about their overall situation. He also had a fall while exploring the mountains and injured himself.

That evening, they moved camp to the mountains (which had wood and birds for food). Jenny had a difficult night exposed to the elements.....as did Robinson in their new mountain camp.

Day 2
The next morning a flood washed thru camp and washed away the vines they had set up for protection.

After the flood, Robinson immediately built a dam which yielded a good food source but it was also dangerous work due to not having a workshop. And he injured himself while building the dam.

Robinson also built a knife, which added to their defense capability. That knife was built just in time....as a predator wandered into camp and attacked. Using the knife and a lucky shot with the pistol, Robinson hit the animal which disappeared into the jungle.

Friday took the dog exploring to the plains east of the mountains where he found more signs of predators. He also found nourishing larvae which would have yielded food for dinner if he hadn't also found a goat which yielded both a hearty dinner and a nice goat skin.

Day 3
In the morning, there was a general bad feeling and it seemed that gathering resources may be more difficult.

In the morning, Robinson succeeded in weaving a rope. While weaving, a troop of monkeys swung into camp. Although Robinson was able to chase them off, he had the distinct impression that they would be back.

Using the rope he had fashioned that morning, Robinson constructed a crude raft and went to the rescue. He was so anxious that he scratched his arm on a thorny bush on shore while launching the raft. His right arm burned, but he was able to rescue Jenny from her rock prison!

Friday and the dog explored the plains east of the river. More predators were discovered.....it seemed they were surrounded. they also discovered some tobacco and some ropes.

That night they were happy to be all together. They feasted on the fish trapped behind the dam. Robinson realized that they would need add'l food going forward. They still had no shelter and suffered in their makeshift camp near the river.

Day 4
There was significant storm damage over the night and being exposed to the elements, they suffered some injuries.

Friday took the knife, the dog, and the pistol, and went hunting. He was extremely happy to be packing as they stumbled onto a hungry tiger. They had to take their last 2 shots with the pistol, even with those two shots and damaging the knife on the tiger's skull, Friday was injured within an inch of his life. However, they did get 5 good steaks and a huge tiger skin (easily the size of 2 goats) when they slaughtered the tiger.

While Friday was hunting Robinson built a spear and then he set up a snare which would increase their ability to gather food.

Jenny wend exploring on her own to the north east. She discovered more plains with some more larvae.

That night they moved camp to the newly discovered plains which had both wood and birds.

During another painful night exposed to the elements, Robinson realized that with the tiger skin, he could build a lifeboat with a little more skin and some wood.

Day 5
The next day, the monkey troop was back with a vengeance. If they had built a shelter, they could have been protected. But being exposed, both Jenny and Robinson were injured and Friday was killed!

A ravishing windstorm blew through camp and broke the spear. This made the group more desperate. Robinson took the broken spear and the dog and went for a hunt. They encountered a Chamois which attacked and killed Robinson! It was now just Jenny and the Dog.

Jenny tried unsuccessfully to gather wood and instead found some nestlings which she decided to let go (rather than roast). The snare was yielding plenty of food for her.

That evening, Jenny was brought to the brink of death by sleeping exposed the elements.

Day 6
In the morning, Jenny discovered the body of the predator that Robinson had shot with the pistol in day 2. It had finally succumbed to the bullet in it's lung. Jenny now had a rope, a knife, plenty of animal skins to make a lifeboat. She would just need to double her wood supply.

She attempted desperately to build a shelter, but alas, she failed and died that night as she spent one to many nights sleeping exposed to the elements.

She died with 6 skins, 3 wood, fish behind the dam, and 2 biscuits. She just couldn't keep herself alive long enough to amass the wood she needed.

Summary
Great and enjoyable session of an engaging game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
Freezing to death after your friends were killed by monkeys.
That was... bleak. Thanks for the write up.

I've always found Jenny an absolute nightmare of a scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian G
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The story was fun, but how did you build rope and save her on the same day?
I thought that you had to wait until the turn after you build rope to build anything that uses it. Then you have to wait until the next turn before using the raft to go save Jenny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billmcdougal wrote:
The story was fun, but how did you build rope and save her on the same day?
I thought that you had to wait until the turn after you build rope to build anything that uses it. Then you have to wait until the next turn before using the raft to go save Jenny.
Yikes. Good catch! Then I was cheating.

I just put a builder on the rope and an explorer on the raft (hoping I would successfully build the rope), when I built the rope I flipped the card and said it was available....which I guess is cheating. I assume, based on your question, that you're supposed to put inventions that you successfully build into the "slider" with other resources so that they aren't available until the end of the action period. I was mis-playing how to build inventions.....and still lost pretty handily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Nanaimo
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That wasn't the only cheat:

pg.29"At camp, she is treated as an unproductive character. She cannot resolve any Actions other than Rest".

All Jenny does is sleep and eat your food. She won't even clean up and Arrange the Camp. She was the death of me over 10 times in a row. Damn You, Jenny!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK.....Good to know. I'm going to try again and post my results. Even with 2 cheats (or at least 2....there may be others!) I didn't come close to victory. Of course, I was so anxious to get Jenny off the island I didn't even build a shelter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Adams
United States
Lincoln
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The last couple days I've played the "Jenny" scenario twice and lost both times! That damn hurricane! Also... Jenny needs to quit moping around camp a resting, get off her high-horse, and help me collect food & wood!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.