Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm Paul Glenn, and I'm the new wargame reviewer for The Dice Tower. Just wanted to post to say hello. Feel free to contact me here at BGG. I look forward to doing this, and I hope I can continue the excellent work done by Jason White.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zielinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul-

Do you play any squad level games like ASL, ASLSK, Lock n Load, or Tide of Iron?

Welcome aboard!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aslskfan wrote:
Paul-

Do you play any squad level games like ASL, ASLSK, Lock n Load, or Tide of Iron?

Welcome aboard!

I played a bit of Squad Leader back in the 80s, but haven't really played many squad level games since. There are a number I'm thinking about trying--Lock n Load is probably at the top of that list--but it is a gap in my resume.

Based on your username, I'm guessing that you really like the ASL starter kits. Maybe I should pick one up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hoyt
United States
East Liverpool
Ohio
flag msg tools
ボルトン
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Greets Paul.

Nice to hear your voice on the recent episode of the Dice Tower. I am looking forward to your contributions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zielinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Based on your username, I'm guessing that you really like the ASL starter kits. Maybe I should pick one up.

I highly recomend Starker Kit #1, both as a game and for its price point. It is a good way to get into ASL, or just as a game on its own.

I play Lock n Load as well. I mainly got into it for the modern squad level stuff, but I just had to pick up the WWII stuff as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aslskfan wrote:
Quote:

I highly recomend Starker Kit #1, both as a game and for its price point. It is a good way to get into ASL, or just as a game on its own.

I play Lock n Load as well. I mainly got into it for the modern squad
level stuff, but I just had to pick up the WWII stuff as well.

I should pick up ASLSK #1. I remember like SL, but I didn't play that much.

As part of my "research" for TDC, I ordered LnL yesterday . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zielinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I was thinking about doing a quick review on this myself. I was hoping that Tom and Sam would have compared it to Combat Commander and Tide of Iron for folks.

Lnl has been refered to as an ASL lite. The LnL moto is More Game, Less Guff.

Since you are in the process of picking it up, now I can sit back and relax while I wait for your review.

I think Tom was speaking with Mark Walker about an interview for the show (LnL's designer). I hope that happens as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Glenn
United States
Wheaton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, don't let me stop you--you should review it if you want! I haven't played ToI or CC, so you'd be able to make comparisons that I can't.

I'm looking forward to LnL, especially since it's very Vassal friendly--most of my wargaming these days is via email.

aslskfan wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking about doing a quick review on this myself. I was hoping that Tom and Sam would have compared it to Combat Commander and Tide of Iron for folks.

Lnl has been refered to as an ASL lite. The LnL moto is More Game, Less Guff.

Since you are in the process of picking it up, now I can sit back and relax while I wait for your review.

I think Tom was speaking with Mark Walker about an interview for the show (LnL's designer). I hope that happens as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zielinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Hey, don't let me stop you--you should review it if you want! I haven't played ToI or CC, so you'd be able to make comparisons that I can't.

Well, I will see what I can work up. I have not yet played CC, and don't think I will. When Scott, of the Point 2 Point podcast, rates your game a "2" I tend to stear clear.

Sam introduced me to Tide of Iron at Origins 2007, and from there I am working on more plays so I can make a final evaluation.

Quote:
I'm looking forward to LnL, especially since it's very Vassal friendly--most of my wargaming these days is via email.

I am not a VASL person. I stare at a computer all day at work and if I am going to play games I would prefer to play face to face. I am fortunate that I have local opponents (not to mention the two little gamers I am growing on my own).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brugato
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
Nullum gratuitum prandium.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Well, I will see what I can work up. I have not yet played CC, and don't think I will. When Scott, of the Point 2 Point podcast, rates your game a "2" I tend to stear clear.

I think Scott might have admitted he was a tad too severe in his rating for CC:E on an episode of P2P following the one where they reviewed it. If you know somebody that has the game you ought to give it a try. I have a lot of fun with it and prefer it over ToI--you might find it rates something better than a 2.

For the sake of comparison I wouldn't mind seeing (hearing) a review that compares WWII squad games across the spectrum of complexity. ToI, CC:E, LnL, PzG and ASL[-SK] are all systems currently in print that might provide some interesting comparisons and contrasts. Tall order though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Zielinski
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think Scott might have admitted he was a tad too severe in his rating for CC:E on an episode of P2P following the one where they reviewed it. If you know somebody that has the game you ought to give it a try. I have a lot of fun with it and prefer it over ToI--you might find it rates something better than a 2.

Yes, he did recant his "2", but I do not know how willing he was to do it. CC is still not on his playlist, from what I know.

Quote:
For the sake of comparison I wouldn't mind seeing (hearing) a review that compares WWII squad games across the spectrum of complexity. ToI, CC:E, LnL, PzG and ASL[-SK] are all systems currently in print that might provide some interesting comparisons and contrasts. Tall order though.

Well, I do not have the PzG or CC:E experience. I think you could also add ATS (Advanced Tobruk System) to the list as well (I have not played ATS either).

It would be a tall order. But, my list is as follows:

1. ASL
2. ASLSK
3. LnL
4. TOI

From what I know of, or have seen, of the rest, I would finish up my ratings this way:

5. CC:E
6. ATS
7. PzG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Brugato
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
Nullum gratuitum prandium.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I think you could also add ATS (Advanced Tobruk System) to the list as well (I have not played ATS either).

Good call. I haven't played ATS either, but I was eyeing the Screamin' Eagles a while back.

It's been a long time since I've played SL, and have only flirted with ASL. One of these days I'll get around to playing SK#1. I like to game with my sons a lot and ASL is a little too heady for them at the moment--they only barely hung in there for PzG. I would like to see how LnL fits into the mix by way of a comparative review.

-Mike (aka EnsPulver on P2P)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfglenn wrote:
I'm Paul Glenn, and I'm the new wargame reviewer for The Dice Tower. Just wanted to post to say hello. Feel free to contact me here at BGG. I look forward to doing this, and I hope I can continue the excellent work done by Jason White.

Hi Paul,

More of a wargame input will make a great podcast even better. I also listen to Point2Point, but you can't have too much of a good thing.

Phil in da UK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Weihs
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never listened to Point 2 Point but have found it and will make a "point" of listening to it.

I am surprised at the lack of love here for CC:E. I found it to be a good, playable game. I actually like it better than TOI, though I confess I have only played TOI twice and that was on demo day. I have not played LnL yet so I can't compare there.

One thing that CC:E has over many of the other games on this list is playability. I can teach someone how to play it fairly quickly and the rules are intuitive. ASL:SK, ASL are great games as long as everyone shows up on game day already knowing the rules. This doesn't happen often where I game. TOI gets props here, too. Very easy to teach and very intuitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.