Michael S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
There aren't any Session topics for this game yet, so I figured I'd make one and let everyone know how big of a worthless piece of crap my character is.

Massive spoilers for up to and through the end of day 3, so don't read this if you haven't gotten that far yet! Also, perhaps even if you HAVE played that far don't read this, because this stuff may spoil a different outcome than what you picked. Hell, probably nobody should read this and I shouldn't even be making it, but whatever. Read it if you're totally done with the game, or never plan on really playing it. But seriously, big first half of the game spoilers here. It'll ruin a big part of the game if you read this.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So the day starts, and I'm told of the missing boy that everyone loves. Psh, I got this. Piece of cake. I'm the hero of village. People are already lovin' me. I aced that goblin mine. I got like...3 fame already. Psh, the kid is as good as found.

So my character is a huge dumb She-Orc that likes to get drunk and party before going out on quests, because she's hardcore and that's how she rolls. She also likes to leave for quests late in the day, preferably right before night, because hey, she's a bad ass orc who isn't afraid of anything. So NATURALLY, she hangs around town before setting out to find the lost boy.

Among other time wasting fun, what did I feel like was the best way to spend my day? Getting high off a mushroom and waking up in the village center on my back. It was a great trip, 10/10, would do again.

So then I finally set out on this quest. Like, 5 time has gone by or something. No probs, chief, this she-orc is on the case.

And then...oh.

Oh.

Oh no.

And then I learned that quests are timed.

It doesn't just happen, it happens and then they beat you over the head with it. Your character is made to feel like the biggest piece of crap ever. I have regrets. I have many regrets.

So yeah. The entire town hates me because I spent my time doing drugs instead of saving the day. Don't do drugs, kids.

But yeah, that was definitely a punch in the gut. I was most definitely not expecting that to happen. I felt really bad. The writing in this game can sometimes be kind of a slow burn, but when it hits you, it hits you.

Don't bring up outcomes for other decisions, please! I intend on playing again and won't make the same mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I H
United States
Alexandria
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't read the spoiler, but the very fact that you can indeed make very+ bad decisions in LoD makes me that much more likely to buy it.

So thank you for posting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Yeah, we may have done the same.

Our problem was we stopped to clear the stream because we figured we may have to make a hasty exit on the way out...

That one "time passes" made the different between success and failure. cry

MEGA COLOSSAL SPOILER (don't read unless you are finished with the game!)

Not only do they keep bringing it up for the rest of the game, you can't have the best outcome if he dies. It made sense for the story, but we felt super penalized for a more-or-less random mistake

Nevertheless, we still had a great time with it and would play another game like this if they made one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lafond
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same...

....we decided to swing by the shrine before heading out to find the missing boy, spending one time unit on some peaceful meditation...it took me, like, 3 days to stop feeling terrible about that... >_<
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Though considering the character you were roleplaying OP I think your resolution was pretty appropriate. I was wondering what that item did if you used the action on it's card. I used it for something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Welp, I beat the game.

End game spoilers, as well as some general thoughts on the game, as well as discussing my end game stats so maybe some other people can compare theirs:

I got the worst ending.

I am sad. But I'm gonna replay it some time later, with a totally different character, and this time I won't let the kid die, which should help in the ending.

My stats at the end:

9 skills
14 max stamina
zero experience left
11 Heroism marked off
Academic Study, Combat Training, Physical Training, and Social Practice were all maxed out, Spiritual Meditation was at 4/5.
1 Fame

While leveling up training progresses was really easy, it seemed super difficult to get Heroism points, or fame points for that matter. I believe I only earned fame in two instances, when arriving in town, and when finishing the dragon quest (I think, or some other quest). Of course, I lost fame when letting the kid die. I'm actually not sure what fame is even for, really. There was only one case where it was needed, and that was when getting the quest from the smithy, you needed like 3 fame or something to trigger it. Nothing else ever checked fame.

I was able to do all quests except for Whispering Leaves. Even so, I just feel like I missed so much content. There were a lot of items I never got. I never got any of the three masks the book talks about in the final quest. I did get the frost rune. I wonder if you can fail that quest and not get it. I did get the war rune and made a sword out of it.

Oh! A big one! This was driving me nuts. How the hell can you go to Mariam's wedding? I was told it took place in the Willow Park or whatever that was, but any time you go there that day there's nothing going on. I searched all over but nothing ever triggered. Is it possible? How'd I miss it?

I guess that's it. It'd be neat to compare notes to other people who have finished with the game, but please no hardcore spoilers like just straight up saying what happens in the other endings and stuff. Just vague mentions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mina Olen
msg tools
Crap, now I feel even worse cause I got the worst possible ending with my character decently trying and me mostly agreeing with her decisions being wise.

Massive day 3 spoilers:

So, Yesnah the apothecary with a magical talent wisely (to my mind) decided to take the NPC Orc woman with her and timely headed to save the abducted little boy. Wasted no time, got there in time and... BAM! he is still dead just because my char decided not to sarcifice herself for someone she quite doesn't know or smth. Not even fully sure was it that blasted ONE ENTRY wrong choice or did I do something wrong before.

Massive end quest spoilers:

So, there's the final battle. It has two progress bars. 'War' and 'peace'. I reckon 'war' progress is bad, 'peace' progress is good. But my character first tried to negotiate with the motherf...er of an enemy and then thought... Crap, I feel sorry for him. What's the point of negotiating him to surrender and simply be humiliatingly executed later cause he surely will be and have him the honor of dying in battle. So, due to that change of mind I fully progressed neither and this proved fatal. The ones with the bad ending will know. How ironic!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland W. est. 1984
Germany
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haha same here...since then I did not visit ONE Questbook and we are on day 6 now... love the game but I am so afraid of choices now....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.