Hide
6 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Doom Patrol - Part I (spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Watkins
msg tools
2nd edition Gloomhaven box arrived. It was nigh time to jump off the deep end and see how we would do. Multiple people asserted we would be absolutely nuts to try to play Gloomhaven at level 7 difficulty on every scenario from the beginning until the very end. But we are trying it anyway. A friend asserted that he did not feel a sense of accomplishment from playing Gloomhaven. This was my response to that issue. If we could beat difficulty 7 scenarios, we would feel a major sense of accomplishment.

Two friends showed up today to venture forth in this harsh version of Gloomhaven. I am still somewhat astonished that I have two friends that are gluttons for the punishment that difficulty 7 Gloomhaven would mete out. We had spent several hours analyzing the starting characters and party compositions prior to the game arriving. We decided the first two characters would be the scoundrel and the mind thief. When we added a third player, we added a cragheart.

Prosperity 1.0, Reputation 0. Level 1 cragheart, level 1 mind thief, level 1 scoundrel.

We each picked up a minor stamina potion at start. Scoundrel and mind thief each bought a cloak of invisibility. Cragheart saved money for the future. We lost 3 reputation on the way to the Black Barrow (C12A, R19B). Yikes, +1 cost on all purchases already. The cragheart plopped down four obstacles in the first two turns, creating a bunker with only one entrance against the 6 normal bandit guards. We chewed through them, and moved onto the next room. Mind thief's push 3 dispatched the elite bandit guard, pushing him through a pair of 7 damage traps. We finished off the three archers and entered the final room on fumes (first room alone takes 96 damage to clear). The cragheart managed to jump to the treasure chest before we all exhausted. This opened up S71. We were quite pleased that we defeated two thirds of the difficulty 7 Black Barrow with a level 1 prosperity 1 party and also looted the treasure chest.

C24B gave Gloomhaven +1 prosperity tick. Cragheart and the scoundrel each purchased blessings at the great oak. Cragheart paid 21 gold for boots of striding. R08B gave us 3 damage at the start of our next incursion into Black Barrow. We once again made it into the final room, only to get obliterated by the withering onslaught of living bones and bandit archers. We staggered back to Gloomhaven and increased prosperity by one box with C29B. Cragheart bought a warhammer, Scoundrel purchased eagle eye goggles.

Prosperity 1.2, Reputation -3 tick (+1 cost on all purchases). Level 1 cragheart, level 1 mind thief, level 1 scoundrel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Level 7 from the start, holy crap!

I'm really curious to see how this turns out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very exciting and well written. I'm scared for you a little bit but a little jealous as well. Sounds like you are doing quite well and very close to beating black barrow. By the time you beat it you'll be unstoppable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, this is great. Unfortunately, the game can only get easier from here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brewer
Australia
DUNLOP
Canberra
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How did the Cragheart create four obstacles in the first two turns?

He would have discarded the card in the first turn. How did he get it back?

Just curious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Watkins
msg tools
He used his Minor Stamina Potion at the end of his turn to return the two cards. The other card was the one that gave him a 13 initiative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.