Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Few questions about resting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Ackland
msg tools
Avatar
I was reading through the new FAQ, and was reminded of a few questions we have had to rule on at the time:

When you long rest, you still have a turn, and are able to use items like drinking potions.
Are those items refreshed at the end of the turn (ie after you might have used them), or before (ie the option is consumed for the next cycle)?
We ruled the former.

If a player who is not long resting has initiative 99, do they have AI targeting priority over someone who is long resting (and hence is also 99), or is it player's choice?
We ruled the acting player has priority over resting players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
keep in mind that initiative only affects AI targeting if there are multiple targets that would require the same (minimum) amount of monster movement and are both the same distance away in proximity.

If both of those are still equal, and the targets all have 99 initiative, then it is probably "players decide". If you wanted to invoke a "active character trumps resting character" caveat as part of your player decision, that would be your perogative, but I don't recall seeing any official ruling on the matter.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ziemer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ax0r wrote:
I was reading through the new FAQ, and was reminded of a few questions we have had to rule on at the time:

When you long rest, you still have a turn, and are able to use items like drinking potions.
Are those items refreshed at the end of the turn (ie after you might have used them), or before (ie the option is consumed for the next cycle)?
We ruled the former.


I would agree were just up to my guessing that items used on he "turn" while long resting would be refreshed during that long rest.

Keep in mind, potions are one time use per scenario and won't refresh with a long rest. At the moment I can't think of any item that you just spend that you could use and then refresh on your long rest "turn". All the ones i can think of need some kind of action to use as per their text "on your atk..." As an example.

Edit: I found some. Yah good question.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Porter
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Keep in mind, potions are one time use per scenario and won't refresh with a long rest.


Is this true? My understanding was that potions (e.g. Minor Stamina Potion) were consumed and therefore one and done and not one time use per scenario. I REALLY hope you're right and I've been playing wrong through the first few scenario. I have been sending Jade (my Human Scoundrel) back to Gloomhaven to make frequent purchases of a potion to have at her ready. I'd much rather use that precious gold to purchase some weaponry or new armor.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
themorningsun wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind, potions are one time use per scenario and won't refresh with a long rest.


Is this true? My understanding was that potions (e.g. Minor Stamina Potion) were consumed and therefore one and done and not one time use per scenario. I REALLY hope you're right and I've been playing wrong through the first few scenario. I have been sending Jade (my Human Scoundrel) back to Gloomhaven to make frequent purchases of a potion to have at her ready. I'd much rather use that precious gold to purchase some weaponry or new armor.


From page 8 of the rule book

This symbol (not pictured) means the item is consumed after use, which is shown by flipping the card facedown. Consumed cards can only be refreshed during a scenario by specific abilities. All items are refreshed between scenarios. No item can be permanently consumed.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
themorningsun wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind, potions are one time use per scenario and won't refresh with a long rest.


Is this true? My understanding was that potions (e.g. Minor Stamina Potion) were consumed and therefore one and done and not one time use per scenario. I REALLY hope you're right and I've been playing wrong through the first few scenario. I have been sending Jade (my Human Scoundrel) back to Gloomhaven to make frequent purchases of a potion to have at her ready. I'd much rather use that precious gold to purchase some weaponry or new armor.

page 8 of the rulebook (under the "Items" section:
Quote:
All items are refreshed between scenarios. No item can be
permanently consumed.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Items are refreshed during your turn on a long rest. So, beginning of your turn, then the effects of the the long rest, then end of your turn. So you can use an item either before or after it would be refreshed.

As for focus priority, a player with a normal turn on initiative 99 would be focused on first.

Also, yes, potions are once per scenario. They are not gone forever after you use them.
6 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Porter
United States
Providence
RI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JayJ79 wrote:
themorningsun wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind, potions are one time use per scenario and won't refresh with a long rest.


Is this true? My understanding was that potions (e.g. Minor Stamina Potion) were consumed and therefore one and done and not one time use per scenario. I REALLY hope you're right and I've been playing wrong through the first few scenario. I have been sending Jade (my Human Scoundrel) back to Gloomhaven to make frequent purchases of a potion to have at her ready. I'd much rather use that precious gold to purchase some weaponry or new armor.

page 8 of the rulebook (under the "Items" section:
Quote:
All items are refreshed between scenarios. No item can be
permanently consumed.



Well, Jade certainly is embarrassed for needlessly helping to profit the local apothecary. How embarrassing ... the Scoundrel has been duped ... even despite her steadily improving reputation in the fair city of Gloomhaven. She thanks you good travelers for the information, but now questions whether she should revert back to her old ways of lying, cheating, and stealing.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
themorningsun wrote:
JayJ79 wrote:
themorningsun wrote:
Quote:
Keep in mind, potions are one time use per scenario and won't refresh with a long rest.


Is this true? My understanding was that potions (e.g. Minor Stamina Potion) were consumed and therefore one and done and not one time use per scenario. I REALLY hope you're right and I've been playing wrong through the first few scenario. I have been sending Jade (my Human Scoundrel) back to Gloomhaven to make frequent purchases of a potion to have at her ready. I'd much rather use that precious gold to purchase some weaponry or new armor.

page 8 of the rulebook (under the "Items" section:
Quote:
All items are refreshed between scenarios. No item can be
permanently consumed.



Well, Jade certainly is embarrassed for needlessly helping to profit the local apothecary. How embarrassing ... the Scoundrel has been duped ... even despite her steadily improving reputation in the fair city of Gloomhaven. She thanks you good travelers for the information, but now questions whether she should revert back to her old ways of lying, cheating, and stealing.


Don't go back to the life of crime! Convince that old cheating apothecary that they need to donate all the money you spent on potions to the Sanctuary to atone for all the gold they cheated you out of for your free refills!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.