Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
doug mac
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Hi,
I am trying to work my way through 14.1.01, Turn 1B: The Ostracism of Thucydides but I am having immediate conceptual difficulties. The scenario in question reads:

"Game Length: This is a training scenario that commemorates
an important political fight that saw Pericles (Aristocrats) consolidate
power by exiling his political opponent Thucydides
(Demagogues; not the historian Thucydides). This is played
out as a single hand, where the Aristophanes card Frog C puts
Ostracism on Thucydides’ 1 space
Aristocrats: Card 10 and Card 16, deal 7 random cards.
Demagogues: Card 1 and Card 13, deal 7 random cards."

I have no idea what the part in bold means. As far as I can tell each side receives 9 Athens cards. Why is the bolded section referring to an aristophanes card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
palgolak wrote:
Hi,
I am trying to work my way through 14.1.01, Turn 1B: The Ostracism of Thucydides but I am having immediate conceptual difficulties. The scenario in question reads:

"Game Length: This is a training scenario that commemorates
an important political fight that saw Pericles (Aristocrats) consolidate
power by exiling his political opponent Thucydides
(Demagogues; not the historian Thucydides). This is played
out as a single hand, where the Aristophanes card Frog C puts
Ostracism on Thucydides’ 1 space
Aristocrats: Card 10 and Card 16, deal 7 random cards.
Demagogues: Card 1 and Card 13, deal 7 random cards."

I have no idea what the part in bold means. As far as I can tell each side receives 9 Athens cards. Why is the bolded section referring to an aristophanes card?

Go into the Aristophanes deck and pull out the card titled 'Frogs C' (the name of the play is Frogs and this is one of three variants of it in the game.)

If you do what the card says to do, you will be putting the Ostracism issue onto the track.

Then fish out the cards indicated and deal out the remainder randomly.

Play a hand of cards.

Does that help,

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
doug mac
Canada
Abbotsford
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
instinctive
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Victory for 14.1.01B requires both the highest Oratory Honor and winning the Ostracism issue. According to 7.1, winning the Ostracism issue grants +3 Honor (-3 to opponent), and the second bullet point is N/A.

(1) Do you mean for the second bullet point to be calculated in this scenario, despite the opening clause "If neither Faction has won the Ostracism issue..." ?

(2) If the answer to (1) is yes: Does the +/- 3 Honor for the Ostracism issue also count for the "Oratory Honor" calculation.

(3) Does this scenario end immediate after 7.1 is resolved, i.e., before any other Political Issues can be resolved?

(4) Are all these answers the same for 14.1.06B Sparta Declares War?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Kastoft Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too do not understand the victory conditions of "The Ostracism of Thucydides". In order to win, you must win the ostracism issue, but you also need to have the highest "oratory honor". As I read the rules on ostracism, the normal oratory honors are suspended, and you only get the ostracism honors, i.e. +3 to the winner and -3 to the loser. So the ostracism winner cannot ever not be the winner of the oratory honors, right?

I have played it so that for this scenario, the ostracism honor rule of +3 and -3 is not used, but the normal honors are used instead.

What is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal K
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
steenkh wrote:
I too do not understand the victory conditions of "The Ostracism of Thucydides". In order to win, you must win the ostracism issue, but you also need to have the highest "oratory honor". As I read the rules on ostracism, the normal oratory honors are suspended, and you only get the ostracism honors, i.e. +3 to the winner and -3 to the loser. So the ostracism winner cannot ever not be the winner of the oratory honors, right?

I have played it so that for this scenario, the ostracism honor rule of +3 and -3 is not used, but the normal honors are used instead.

What is correct?

Here is how I understand it.

In simple words - the vicotry conditions:
- you need to win ostracism issue
- you need to have bigger Oration value (not Oration honor). As per 7.1 "add up the value of the boxes where all of their won issues
reside to determine their Oration value
"

Oration honor is resulting swing in honor based on the assembly phase results.

In normal game, you can have higher Oration Value, but when your opponent has Ostracism, you still lose debate and 3 honor. In that scenario you need both to win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.