Brad Brooks
United States
West Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a four player game of this last night. First time for three of us, but the owner of the game had played a few times. The score ended up being a one point difference which led to analyzing where the points came from. Since each repair roundel the British use takes away an end game point from the Germans it feels like the score at the end is significantly impacted by the luck of the British production rolls. Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
beehive23 wrote:
I played a four player game of this last night. First time for three of us, but the owner of the game had played a few times. The score ended up being a one point difference which led to analyzing where the points came from. Since each repair roundel the British use takes away an end game point from the Germans it feels like the score at the end is significantly impacted by the luck of the British production rolls. Am I missing something?

From my, admittedly limited, experience with the game, it seems most things are very dependent on luck. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but if one is expecting more strategy and tactics to come into the picture that can be a disappointment.

Then again, many people still believe memoir '44 is highly luck-based as well. I used to think so myself as well. However, since having read the three strategy and tactics guides so far, I am firmly convinced luck in memoir '44 is a relatively minor factor! Perhaps, after playing more BoB it will also be less luck-based than my first impressions seem to suggest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick v. Nooij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Luftwaffe side's bulk of points comes from knocking out and damaging cities. The impact on the score of knocked out radar/airfields is not that big, I feel.

And speaking statistically the repair rolls don't generate that many repair points.
The deeper strategy/tactic here would when and where to lend repair support to other groups.

Interestingly, I've always felt that Battle Cry/Memoire '44 relied a lot on the luck of which command cards you draw. Not so much on the roll of the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mr_Flibble wrote:
The Luftwaffe side's bulk of points comes from knocking out and damaging cities. The impact on the score of knocked out radar/airfields is not that big, I feel.

And speaking statistically the repair rolls don't generate that many repair points.
The deeper strategy/tactic here would when and where to lend repair support to other groups.

Interestingly, I've always felt that Battle Cry/Memoire '44 relied a lot on the luck of which command cards you draw. Not so much on the roll of the dice.

Read the strategy and tactic guides . According to the author, the cards aren't nearly as big a factor as many people make them out to be. It's all about building a hand and card management. What many (beginning) players tend to do is play the strongest card right away, possibly without having any follow-up cards.

Of course you do have extreme cases and the shorter the scenario, the bigger the role of the initial cards drawn will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.