Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The title probably means nothing to most and you can probably ignore this.

But if you have decided to paint your miniature aircraft, there is a good chance you will want some national insignia decals and if you start googling there is every chance you will find domsdecals.

The reason is that this business offers a really estensive range of 1:300 and 1:600 decals, arguably the largest range available anywhere.

And I have used them in the past and the product is excellent.

However, for the last year or so something strange has been happening with Dom (it is a one man business run, not surprsingly by a guy called Dom) and he has been failing to deliver or at least taking many months to deliver.

This is made worse because he ignores emails, and his telephone (using the number given on the website) is never answered.

He does make the odd appearance on a miniature wargaming formum and has made excuses of emails not working and family problems. Can’t problem on family problems but the claimed email and telephone problems have been going on for over a year so the excuse is not very believable.

The website will take your order without problem but then it will disappear into a black hole. You will not hear anything for months and if you try to follow up by email or phone you will get no response.

He isn’t a fraudster - as I said, I have had great products from him in the past and people are reporting that their orders eventually come through but they are taking 6 months or more. I just think the business is too much for him and he has no sense of customer relations.

I don’t think there is any risk because you can always refund through paypal, but if you are not prepared to wait 6 months or more with no status updates or ability to contact then I suggest you look elsewhere.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick v. Nooij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads-up.

I have indeed thought about looking for 1/300 decals for BOB. Not a fan of using the stickers that came in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to paint them on anyways. It isn't that hard really.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nheather wrote:
you can always refund through paypal

How do I do this Nigel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
nheather wrote:
you can always refund through paypal

How do I do this Nigel?

Assuming you paid with paypal of course.

You raise a dispute, just open the transaction on your Paypal account and there is an option.

Initially, it is just between the seller and the buyer. If after reasonable time (say 7 days) you have not had a decent resolution then there is a button to escalate it. At that point Paypal step in and make a judgement.

It is very unlikely that Paypal won’t find in your favour. However, I doubt it will come to that. From what I have heard as soon as a dispute is opened, Dom refunds within an hour - which is pretty impressive for someone who claims that his email hasn't been working for over a year.

Why do you ask - did you order and still waiting?

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes I did order and, as you predicted, total radio silence. Why is he still in business if he doesn't want to process orders?

Can you suggest an alternative supplier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Heather
United Kingdom
Horsham
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
Yes I did order and, as you predicted, total radio silence. Why is he still in business if he doesn't want to process orders?

Can you suggest an alternative supplier?

It’s no excuse but my understanding is that running the decal business is not he main job he does it as a sideline in his spare team. The problem, I think, is that he has no grasp of customer relations, so when other things arise he just pushes the decal business to the back of the queue without any appreciation that he has customers who have paid him up front are waiting.

It doesn’t help that his communications are so poor and it seems that when he does get behind and customers start asking questions he simply tries to avoid the issue by going radio silent.

As for alternatives - I have seen some sets on eBay for specific aircraft. They are actually nicer because they include a number of different squadron and unit markings so you can finish up your aircraft differently. But they would end up a lot more expensive than domsdecals.

I’ve decided that I will let my domsdecals run, you have 180 days to file a PayPal dispute. Hopefully I will have them by the time the new aircraft come out - if not I will decide on the quality of the new moulds as to whether they justify the extra cost of the ebay decals.

There is also a guy on the wargaming forum I frequent who got fed up and started printing his own (but 1:600 and for a different purpose). He has asked me to contact him so I’ll do that and if it looks interesting will get back to you.

Cheers,

Nigel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ordered some from 1/144 direct store on eBay.
I haven't tried them yet. They certainly look good and arrived very quickly to Canada.

Here's a sample:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/1-200-WOG-1-285-1-300-1-350-Decals-R...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mervyn Douglas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found Leon at Minibits to be a reliable seller:

http://www.minibits.net/GR-100-p681/

You can often find him at shows (including Salute!) around the UK if thats any help?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lloyd
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PS The 1/300 size seems a little large for the British planes - I ordered some 1/350 instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Testetsc still make their DYO decal set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick v. Nooij
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
I was going to paint them on anyways. It isn't that hard really.

The top wing roundels aren't that difficult. Crosses are a more tricky.
But the Yellow, blue, white, red roundels on the fuselages would be down-right impossible for me. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince S

Williamsburg
Virginia
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello gentlemen. First, though I haven't had to order from Dom in awhile, I have to agree that he was always very nice, helpful and fairly good at replying to emails in the past but he had been starting to get 'overwhelmed' starting about two years ago. That was based on some email exchanges we had. I also would agree, he's certainly no fraud but I have no knowledge why your orders are delayed and communications with him are spotty at best. I sincerely hope things turn around for the better for him and those who placed an order with him.

On a very encouraging note, you might want to try looking at

www.miscmini.com

and the decals Kevin sells there. I picked up a 1/600 scale set at Historicon 2017 from Picoarmor that looked really nice but only just go around to ordering a bunch more on 5 Jan 2017. They arrived 8 Jan 2017 and they are gorgeous and detailed for that scale. He also sells decals in various other scales, i.e. 1/285, 1/200, 1/144, 1/100, etc. so I would highly encourage you to check there. Also, if he doesn't have it, he is extremely open to considering doing custom orders that he'll add to his store front. I don't work for him and have never met him but his customer service is first class. If you contact him, please let him know Vince sent you.....only so he knows I spoke highly of him.

I hope this helps you guys.

Also, I didn't partake in the kickstarter but I'd love to buy the oversized game mat.....any ideas on how I can get one?
Vince
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The 1/285 decals are not available at the Minibits site you recommended. Do you know where else I might be able to find them?

Also What is the right scale for the decals on the planes?

1:444 scale, 1:285 scale, or 1/350 scale?

The German stickers for BoB are poor. The British are ok.

Thank you for your reply in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United States
Buffalo
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello:

I went to https://shop.miscmini.com/contact.

I had stickers made up for the different planes in the game.

The stickers are excellent. They are the perfect size and slide off perfectly.

Kevin, the owner, is really responsive and helpful.

His stickers are 1,000 times better than the stickers that come with the game.

So if you want to pimp your game, miscmini is the place to go.

Just inquire about stickers for the Battle of Britain and he will show you the template we made.

I will post pictures when I get a chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Minot
North Dakota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome; I will give those a look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.