Subject: Full Frontal Board Games: a Weekly Comic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
I would buy Dominion: Literally a Punch in the Face. Even if it was a half set.
mbmbmbmb
Hello!

Some of you may have noticed that a Tuesday has come and gone and I have not posted another comic. Fear not, for I have not given up. Rather I am travelling for work and will be unable to upload them while away. I was a little disappointed to find out that the hotel I was staying at did not have a scanner as I drew a comic on the plane; and even though there was turbulence it barely lessened the quality of my comic! That's one advantage of not having too much artistic skill. Anyway I just wanted to let you know that I will not be posting a comic this week or maybe even next week. I may do a comic extravaganza and post one comic for every week I missed when I get back. I may even do extra comics as I have no idea how to spend my evenings! At least I managed to get away to a local board game store and play a game at their game night yesterday. That's all I have to say for now and I will be back with more comics as soon as I can.

-David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Wyatt
United States
Stewartstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always take a picture of your comic with your phone and then upload that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb
I had thought of that, but the reason I like scanning is I can scan a low quality and it doesn't pick up all the eraser marks I leave all over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb
Another week has passed and still no comic… But fear not for I have not forgotten you! Throughout next week I will upload one comic for each week I missed and also one for next week itself. I know I said that I may draw additional comics while I was here but work got in the way of my true passion once more… So no extras! This weekend however I did get to make it to a local game store’s game night, and it was an absolute blast. The people there were so welcoming to me and enthusiastic about teaching me some of their favorite games. I even learned a new game that will be the subject for one of the comics! Enough about me though. The main reason I am posting today is to announce the winner of my contest.

Vanity, thy name is David!
The winner of the contest is the only entrant:
Ollie Menweeve
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
So congratulations!!! Enjoy the fruits of your labor as well as 50 GG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

In Near and Far you have the option to go to the Saloon to hire somebody to join your party. If you don't like your options you can spend 1 Food, represented as a loaf of bread, to refresh the row of adventurers. Thematically, I like to think that you throw the bread out the window and they all chase after it like a flock of hungry geese. My friends and I all refer to refreshing the row of adventurers as Goosing.

First comic back after my travels and what Game could be more fitting than Near and Far? Well maybe some plane games since I flew... Anyway I will be uploading comics on Wednesday and Thursday this week as well to make up for the weeks that I missed.

Also if you are going to Geekway to the West in St. Louis this May, GM me and maybe we can set up a game! If something funny happens you might make it into a comic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw the title and immediately expected to see a reference to SOS Titanic...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Metal Rat wrote:
I saw the title and immediately expected to see a reference to SOS Titanic...

Same here, and unfortunately that darn song is stuck in my head now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

Glass Road has this mechanic where as soon as you have the resources to make glass, you have to make glass. It doesn't matter if you had grand plans for that wood. You now have glass. Want to gather resources for your engine? Nope. Glass. This comic was a little short for my liking until I found out that the Water Carrier makes an appearance! I also wanted to name the comic "Pane in the Glass", but I refused to make that many puns in one comic.

Also if you are going to Geekway to the West in St. Louis this May, GM me and maybe we can set up a game! If something funny happens you might make it into a comic!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Gotta think ahead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb
It only happened to me once in my first game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

So while I was gone on a business trip, my wife got a new tablet with some art editing tools. Time for me to transition into a (hopefully) higher quality style! But with the transition in styles, I wanted to draw some parallels to how gaming has changed my life. It started with Dominion and I have never looked back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
adam wilson

Oklahoma
msg tools
So it's like dating Taylor Swift?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

In Quantum you play as an alien race racing to be the first to place all of your quantum cube on the planets across the galaxy. Planets have a numeric value and you fly your dice ships into position to try and place a cube on them. But to successfully place a cube the pips of the dice you have surrounding the planet have to add up exactly the number value of the planet. The problem is, the higher the die value the weaker the ship is and more easily it can be destroyed by your opponents. While the space "theme" is nice, Quantum is really abstract in nature. This is one of my favorite games of all time that I don't get to play all that often because I usually win and my friends are tired of that. Had to sneak in a quick brag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

What a strange theme Azul has, where players take on the roles of Portuguese tile-laying artists try and decorate a palace. Azul is actually how I learned to tile. I have been trying to redo my bathroom with the Azul method and it is taking me months. My wife is asking me why I keep getting so many extra tiles and why the bottom row is still so bare!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

My two favorite comics to read growing up were Calvin and Hobbes and The Far Side. This comic was inspired by one of my favorite Calvin and Hobbes strip. It was fun to try and get the different perspectives of Hobbes translated onto a stick figure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent! Even before reading the rest of your post I immediately thought of Calvin & Hobbes. Well done. Also, I really like how this new comic looks. I know you probably just did it this way to mimic C&H but I think this could really work well for you. Regardless, keep up the great work on the strip. I always look forward to these coming out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Pxool wrote:

[Me]: But even if it was North and South America, the US still isn't a continent on its own...

Wait, doesn't everyone count America as a single continent? surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Insert witty and self aware quote here
badge
Show how culturally relevant I am by writing a well written joke or meme reference
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
Pxool wrote:

[Me]: But even if it was North and South America, the US still isn't a continent on its own...

Wait, doesn't everyone count America as a single continent? surprise

It's North and South America over here in the USA. We are on different continental plates, so it makes since to me. Same as Asia, Europe, and Africa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Yorkston
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move Along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A German geologist pointed out to me that technically, India should be its own continent as it's on own plate as well..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boredbeyondbelief wrote:
A German geologist pointed out to me that technically, India should be its own continent as it's on own plate as well..

What?! That's crazy talk. Any scheme that fails to conform to and confirm what I learned growing up is out of the question! Quick, someone think up a new rationalization for there being exactly seven continents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Insert witty and self aware quote here
badge
Show how culturally relevant I am by writing a well written joke or meme reference
mbmbmbmbmb
boredbeyondbelief wrote:

Agreed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smeltzer
United Kingdom
Leeds
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boredbeyondbelief wrote:

As should the Middle East, but Europe and Asia are on the same plate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Yorkston
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move Along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don’t you worry. In my heart, Pluto will always be a planet.

(And here will always be 7 seas and 7 continents.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stegner
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also the Pacific is its own plate. So Hawaii can be its own continent as well!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

Sidereal Confluence (pronounced "Sidereal Confluence") is game all about trading. Its pretty much a free for all where you make deals on deals to get the resources to run your own little engine. Try this official FFBG variant for Sidereal Confluence: Every time you make a trade, shout "Sidereal Confluence". If you forget and your opponents catch you then lose everything you gained in the trade. A harmless, fun rule!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.