Pea Bunny
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Eh, What's up Doc?
mbmbmbmbmb
Pxool wrote:

[Me]: I started a board game club. So when do I start?

I saw a post about someone putting their Dungeon Master experience on a resume. It got me thinking about all of my board game history and it was pretty easy to write up my own resume!

Also if you are going to Geekway to the West in St. Louis this May, GM me and maybe we can set up a game! If something funny happens you might make it into a comic!

I literally laughed out loud so hard I scared my dog. OMG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
I would buy Dominion: Literally a Punch in the Face. Even if it was a half set.
mbmbmbmb
T_i_f_a_vii wrote:

That's why I do what I do. To make people laugh. And scare pets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pea Bunny
Canada
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Eh, What's up Doc?
mbmbmbmbmb
Pxool wrote:
T_i_f_a_vii wrote:

That's why I do what I do. To make people laugh. And scare pets.

Well please don't stop. Ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pxool wrote:

Turns are so quick that I like to think that you immediately turn around and make another trade. Someone has to notice they are getting ripped off! Century: Spice Road was one of my favorite games from the convention!

Chris, do you recognize you? You are the one on the left!

I've heard good things about Century Spice Road, and heard it compared to Splendor. I was not a big fan of Splendor, as I always felt that just as I was getting my engine going that the game ended.

How does Century Spice Road compare? Does it feel like a fuller experience that actually allows you to play the game and be fulfilled by it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb
Halborn wrote:

How does Century Spice Road compare? Does it feel like a fuller experience that actually allows you to play the game and be fulfilled by it?

I personally like Splendor more, but it sounds like you would like Century more. I like that the engine building aspect of Splendor is a little shorter and it feels much longer in Century. In my most recent game of Century I stopped adding new cards to my hand (the major engine building part) well before the other players. I ended up winning, but only by one point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Murdock
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pxool wrote:
Halborn wrote:

I personally like Splendor more, but it sounds like you would like Century more. I like that the engine building aspect of Splendor is a little shorter and it feels much longer in Century. In my most recent game of Century I stopped adding new cards to my hand (the major engine building part) well before the other players. I ended up winning, but only by one point.

I have played Spice Roads with my husband a lot, so my thoughts come from a 2=player game perspective. I would say that I felt like me engine in Spice Roads always felt cut short...I would start building up steam and then one or two victory cards would be bought and all of the sudden it was a game of buying cards the quickest and cheapest to run the game short on the other player. Probably just a result of 2-player only games though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
CGetahun wrote:
Pxool wrote:
Halborn wrote:

I have played Spice Roads with my husband a lot, so my thoughts come from a 2=player game perspective. I would say that I felt like me engine in Spice Roads always felt cut short...I would start building up steam and then one or two victory cards would be bought and all of the sudden it was a game of buying cards the quickest and cheapest to run the game short on the other player. Probably just a result of 2-player only games though...
Out of curiosity, have you tried not buying quick and cheap and instead try to improve your engine to out-buy your opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I have not. I guess the strategy has eluded me as to how to build the engine up, and get it going quickly, without buying the quick cheap stuff. Maybe I'll re-download the app and play around with strategies on there. The AI regularly destroys me on there, which is probably very sad, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Halborn wrote:
To be honest, I have not. I guess the strategy has eluded me as to how to build the engine up, and get it going quickly, without buying the quick cheap stuff. Maybe I'll re-download the app and play around with strategies on there. The AI regularly destroys me on there, which is probably very sad, lol.

The app. Are you sure you're talking about Spice Road and not Splendor? I wasn't aware of a Spice Road app.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Courtney Murdock
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:

Out of curiosity, have you tried not buying quick and cheap and instead try to improve your engine to out-buy your opponent?

Yes, we started with more of a deck builder strategy. Then, one of us stumbled on the buy out quickly strategy and every game since has devolved into that. We had a fantastic time with the game before that became the norm, and maybe it's just been an unlucky few runs that have turned into that. The game is fun and has awesome art, so still recommend. I just think it's repeatability is effected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Halborn wrote:

The app. Are you sure you're talking about Spice Road and not Splendor? I wasn't aware of a Spice Road app.

Oops. Sorry, I just realized that the post was in reply to someone else, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

[Me]: And I wouldn't trade with you last game because we were also playing Pandemic! We have to be on the city to trade that city's card!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
My wife and I played Pandemic twice, she called me a knucklehead and we haven’t played a cooperative game since. That was March 2014...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I attempted to get my wife to play Pandemic once. I didn't think it through enough, because she is a hypochondriac. In my brain, I thought it would be ok because you're trying to cure disease, but sadly, this was not the case... Maybe I'll hold off on Viral, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
Halborn wrote:
I attempted to get my wife to play Pandemic once. I didn't think it through enough, because she is a hypochondriac. In my brain, I thought it would be ok because you're trying to cure disease, but sadly, this was not the case... Maybe I'll hold off on Viral, lol.

Did she wake you up in the middle of the night, speaking in hushed, panicky tones: "Honey! I think I've got the black one!"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:
Halborn wrote:

Did she wake you up in the middle of the night, speaking in hushed, panicky tones: "Honey! I think I've got the black one!"?

Lol, no, I just got "The Look" for a couple of days. I knew I was in trouble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

[Me]: And Uwe? Are you two on a first name basis?

My wife likes games that are more on the lighter side. Uwe Rosenberg's puzzle games are some of her favorite. I keep saying she'll love A Feast for Odin, but that worker placement board keeps her a little wary...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thus far the only Uwe game that I've gotten to play in physical form is Agricola. It was ok, but I think I would enjoy the theme of Le Havre more. I bought Le Havre on the App Store to give it a shot on my phone, but something just hasn't clicked for me in the rules yet, as I still don't understand what I'm doing. I'm just not good at learning games, on my own. I think I would enjoy Patchwork and Indian Summer, I must agree with your wife, though, A Feast for Odin scares the bejabbers out of me. I'm beginning to think that my comfort zone for depth in euros is going to be around the Stone Age, Lords of Waterdeep level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Feast is the first Uwe game I've bought or played. I've yet to pinpoint where my wife is on the eurogamer spectrum, but she seems to be somewhere between medium-heavy and OMG-so-many-disparate-mechanisms-it's-like-I'm-trapped-inside-a-wristwatch! This is the heaviest game I own, I think, but it was surprisingly easy to learn and shockingly easy to teach. The most tiring part was punching out all of the pieces (2 days). So far we've only played it .5 times (learning game), but although she isn't sure she likes the Tetris as much as she expected, she's looking forward to trying it more and exploring some of the available strategies.

Edit: I absolutely agree, however, that it looks intimidating and the first time you take a turn, the number of choices is bewildering (for me, anyway; my wife didn't seem to have that trouble).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stegner
United States
Quincy
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DD
Feast is the best one of them all!!
My wife enjoys it, but time / kids keep us from being able to play it much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

Some think games are just for little kids. And then there are those who are too serious to play super silly games like Sticky Chameleons. I like to live in the middle and play games that are fun regardless. So what if kids are also having a good time?

Sorry this comic was late, but life got in the way. With Father's Day this last weekend and my wife's birthday I had no time to get this together. That being said, next week's comic will probably be late as well. Wedding season is upon me and I have one this weekend and next. Maybe since dancing isn't really my thing I can draw during the reception... Or play games with friends and family!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With my sordid history of trying to learn complex games and failing miserably, I'd be afraid that a child could actually play Through the Ages and 1776 better than me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David DeVoss
United States
flag msg tools
Full Frontal Board Games
badge
mbmbmbmb

[Me]: Why did you bring a gun to game night?!?

Another late comic... But this time I warned you. I'm hoping to be back on my weekly Tuesday schedule by next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Cash 'N Guns gone wrong. Horribly, terribly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.