First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet» Forums » Reviews

Subject: LOCAL MATERIALS MISSION rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Renkas
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I started playing this game about 2 weeks ago. I never played Robinson Crusoe, but had heard great things about the comparisons. So, I thought I'd give it a go. I am a big space/sci-fi fan and love survival-type board games.

I really wanted to like this game from the start.

I played the intro mission MAKE YOURSELF AT HOME on medium difficulty and won it on my first try. I then tried the intro on hard difficulty and found it much easier than the medium difficulty?! Anyway, I proceeded to play PROBE ON THE LOOSE as this was recommended by the game's creator as the next easiest mission. I played that mission on medium difficulty and won on my first try as well. SO, I proceeded down the list recommended by the creator as the next most difficult mission and played LOCAL MATERIALS. Based on my relatively easy success on the first two missions, I thought I would be able to beat LOCAL MATERIALS on medium, so I started right in on the hard difficulty. As I play this game solo (with only 2 astronauts and 2 AOMs), I believe myself to be at a great disadvantage. Because, after 4 sols on hard difficulty, one of my astronauts was dead. So, I pulled back and decided that medium difficulty for this mission was the best place to start. WRONG!

LOCAL MATERIALS on medium difficulty with 2 astronauts is basically impossible. I learned from the first try on hard that you cannot even do anything else but explore, gather and research pretty much the entire game. And then, you still need to get VERY lucky to even come close to having a chance. Needless to say, I failed on medium difficulty 2 times and then switched to easy difficulty. Well, I must argue that difficulty setting makes little to no difference, especially on this mission. After failing from death on sol 5, I immediately started over a second try on easy difficulty and had an astronaut die on sol 5 again.

So, I know that much of the following may be ranting, but IT IS ALL VALID WHEN REVIEWING THIS GAME..

-FIRST: The grammar, proofreading, English is poorly written throughout. The rulebook, the almanac, the app, are all full of grammatical errors. Something that I easily overlook as not really affecting the game, but there nonetheless.

-SECOND: They obviously did very little to test the playability of this game with various player configurations. I know that the app was recently updated and don't know exactly what was changed, but how does the creator of the game recommend LOCAL MATERIALS as the 3rd easiest mission though it is clearly next to IMPOSSIBLE? I would like to assume that I am having a hard time because I play with only 2 astronauts. However, I did nothing else in this mission but the mission objectives BECAUSE I HAD NO CHOICE! You have no time to use pawns on events or anything else. The events that you have no control over cause you to lose moral and thus end up taking wounds, and this was even after I tried to crew quarters my morale back up. It still goes back down and you still start taking wounds. I even had the unmanned collector upgrade one game for this mission and still failed miserably. I am ALL FOR A CHALLENGE, but the way this game played out was just plain stupid. And I was rather embarrassed for the creators that they put forth such a poorly executed app based interface, especially for this mission.

-FINALLY: The game takes a long time to play. From set up to clean up and everything in between, you need to spend a good 3 hours minimum to play just 1 mission. Talk about a total waste of time! Especially when you lose!! Again, I have no problem putting forth time and effort in losing a good challenge, but when so much comes down to things that are absolutely out of your control as a player, there is not only a lack of fun in that, but enormous frustration and even anger!!angry

Again, I really feel like there is a lot of potential in this game, but it is poorly executed. I will not continue playing this game if there is no way to win. Even if I do win, I know that it may be because of dumb luck and not because I deserved it or did the right things to win. I really did want to like this game and still have not given up entirely on it, but I feel that there are clearly major flaws that need to be worked on if this is to be a high quality gaming experience in the long run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thayne Weston
United States
Nibley
Utah
flag msg tools
The die has been cast- Julius Caesar
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I beat local materials with two astronauts playing solo on my second attempt at the medium level. Not saying this to brag, just saying it isn't impossible.

All in all of course every game and the play it provides is different for everyone I like the game experience win or lose (one thing I do like about first Martians is I do win where as Robinson Crusoe I rarely do, but I still love the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Di Silvio
Austria
Wien
Wien
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The mission is not impossible at all. I have beat it as well. Just like other missions or scenarios in Robinson Cruse, it takes a few tries to learn what and how you should be doing.

Trust me, give it a few shots and you will see!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.