Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Olivia
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New to BGG, so I wasn't sure if this should be a comment to a rating or in a forum or in a session or in some other seemingly random thing I don't know about yet. Apologies if this isn't the place.

Note: I just got this game in the mail (early! A wonderful surprise) and only had time to play it once before leaving for the holidays. This is purely a first impression, and for a lot of these things, I am hopeful that they will improve as I get more familiar with the game.

Playthrough details:

2p using the quickstart.

Pros:
Theme. I love the theme of this game. The miniatures, the cards, and the boards have some great artwork. The story shines through in the game play. I could really feel the attention to this throughout the whole experience. As someone who loves theme and story, I was very happy.

Dice. I'm a fan of games that involve a mixture of luck and skill and the dice do that for me. It is definitely frustrating to have bad rolls during the combat rounds, but I feel like in this game that's mitigated by item and ability upgrades (some of them give you the ability to roll again. Most of the ones I saw involved being able to change die results to your benefit.)

Variability. Players are allowed to take a number of actions and I have hopes that this will lead to a game that gets a lot of play in my game groups. The objective cards also add variability that is pretty fun.

Cons:

Quality. The percentage of flawed miniatures was much more than I expected (about 1/3), but only one had a major, unfixable flaw (an incomplete base on a miniature). This was my first game with miniatures, but I now understand what was meant by issues with the plastics. This was ok though. The snap on base covers up the melted part on the miniature. The rest can be bent into shape (hot water). I think that's fine. It's the text on the game that was a bit ridiculous for me. We kept running into punctuation issues that made the player boards and the rules hard to read. There were also extra or missing words on the pieces. This did make learning the game a bit frustrating and the errors in the player boards also ruin the story a little. I think this was the most errors I've ever seen in a game, but that might speak more to how many games I've been the one to learn and teach vs. friends teaching me. Eventually, I can document these if that is at all helpful to others. This was my first kickstarter game. I think I will pay more attention to asks for reviews of rules, etc. in the future. Though I don't remember if this one had that.

Setup. I am hoping this will improve over time as I get more familiar with the pieces, but the setup was somewhat overwhelming for what we played. The biggest issue for me was matching the henchman and bosses. These pieces for all 4 gangs have the same bases. With practice, I will get to know the characters and picking the right bags will get easier, but for a first play through this took a lot of time. I think these are perfect for painting. Though, I've never painted minis before. This may be the first game I do that with. Thankfully, this should only get easier to setup.

Difficulty. Once we started getting a rhythm in moving through rounds, the game seemed a bit too simple, especially for the amount of setup. This is probably because we went with quickstart, so I am hopeful that with more playthroughs and with the addition of what looked like more advanced rules this will improve.

At this point, the amount of setup for the amount of game doesn't match up for me. Because of the overhead, I don't see this as a game I will always be up for. However, it was still pretty fun and I love a game with good story/theme, so this will definitely be making it on to my game table (I will also be playing this as part of the Play 10 games 10 times challenge). Hopefully, my feelings on this will improve as I get more familiar with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hello there
msg tools
mb
thankyou for writng the first impressions!

i have just received my game and am half way through unpacking and checking everything.

As you mentioned, I think the setup time and recognizing the different gang minis will get much easier/quicker in time. I dont think that is an issue just with Vengeance but common to most games.

have not read anythng yet so cannot comment on text errors but that must be annoying as is very avoidable.

thanks again! and look forward to update
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olivia
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Yes, I was wondering if it is just the nature of playing a game with a bunch of gray minis. The box insert helps, and thankfully it was only the red ones that were initially confusing. At this point, I am pretty happy that the only big thing right now is that it seemed too easy to beat bosses (which was fun because we plowed through the gangs like in movies, so maybe it was on purpose). After re-watching the YouTube video for the rules, I think we missed at least one detail. We didn't cycle through achievements. I need to consult the rulebook when I have the chance.

Edit. Typing on phone didn't work out so well. Fixed typos.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ogzz wrote:
New to BGG, so I wasn't sure if this should be a comment to a rating or in a forum or in a session or in some other seemingly random thing I don't know about yet. Apologies if this isn't the place.

Note: I just got this game in the mail (early! A wonderful surprise) and only had time to play it once before leaving for the holidays. This is purely a first impression, and for a lot of these things, I am hopeful that they will improve as I get more familiar with the game.

Playthrough details:

2p using the quickstart.

Pros:
Theme. I love the theme of this game. The miniatures, the cards, and the boards have some great artwork. The story shines through in the game play. I could really feel the attention to this throughout the whole experience. As someone who loves theme and story, I was very happy.

Dice. I'm a fan of games that involve a mixture of luck and skill and the dice do that for me. It is definitely frustrating to have bad rolls during the combat rounds, but I feel like in this game that's mitigated by item and ability upgrades (some of them give you the ability to roll again. Most of the ones I saw involved being able to change die results to your benefit.)

Variability. Players are allowed to take a number of actions and I have hopes that this will lead to a game that gets a lot of play in my game groups. The objective cards also add variability that is pretty fun.

Cons:

Quality. The percentage of flawed miniatures was much more than I expected (about 1/3), but only one had a major, unfixable flaw (an incomplete base on a miniature). This was my first game with miniatures, but I now understand what was meant by issues with the plastics. This was ok though. The snap on base covers up the melted part on the miniature. The rest can be bent into shape (hot water). I think that's fine. It's the text on the game that was a bit ridiculous for me. We kept running into punctuation issues that made the player boards and the rules hard to read. There were also extra or missing words on the pieces. This did make learning the game a bit frustrating and the errors in the player boards also ruin the story a little. I think this was the most errors I've ever seen in a game, but that might speak more to how many games I've been the one to learn and teach vs. friends teaching me. Eventually, I can document these if that is at all helpful to others. This was my first kickstarter game. I think I will pay more attention to asks for reviews of rules, etc. in the future. Though I don't remember if this one had that.

Setup. I am hoping this will improve over time as I get more familiar with the pieces, but the setup was somewhat overwhelming for what we played. The biggest issue for me was matching the henchman and bosses. These pieces for all 4 gangs have the same bases. With practice, I will get to know the characters and picking the right bags will get easier, but for a first play through this took a lot of time. I think these are perfect for painting. Though, I've never painted minis before. This may be the first game I do that with. Thankfully, this should only get easier to setup.

Difficulty. Once we started getting a rhythm in moving through rounds, the game seemed a bit too simple, especially for the amount of setup. This is probably because we went with quickstart, so I am hopeful that with more playthroughs and with the addition of what looked like more advanced rules this will improve.

At this point, the amount of setup for the amount of game doesn't match up for me. Because of the overhead, I don't see this as a game I will always be up for. However, it was still pretty fun and I love a game with good story/theme, so this will definitely be making it on to my game table (I will also be playing this as part of the Play 10 games 10 times challenge). Hopefully, my feelings on this will improve as I get more familiar with the game.

I would agree that the gangs are a bit hard to distinguish, and I am normal way sure that the pairing of the grunts with the big bosses makes sense. Eg Tengu-Kai

You could do what I did and give them a simple one coat of paint then a wash and varnish. Probably 2 hrs to do them all.

Example below, the rest are in the images on the geek page.

It also means you can ditch the red bases, which makes the box a little less crowded
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Love
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Ogzz,

Agree with your assessment -- I am missing COMPLETELY the Reverend Grey figure -- I ended up with TWO Maja's instead.

Emailed Mighty Boards as soon as I counted up everything and that's the only thing I'm missing, so I'm sure after the holidays it'll get sorted.

Despite the shortcomings, I love this game and I am glad I got it.

Thanks for your post.

Here's some GG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.