BLIND PEW
Wales
BRECON
Powys
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was lucky to get this for Christmas in the UK and I feel really sorry for you guys in the States who still can't get hold of it - it's worth waiting for!
It plays more or less like the standard game so there's no need to comment on that except to say that it's nice to start with 8 train cards.
My first impressions "out of the box" were that the track pieces were cheap and nasty. We are careful adults so they will last here but once kids, cats and dogs get at them they'll be gone in no time. Cheapskate deal not to provide good plastic ones.
Secondly, as I have all the other games I don't want more white carriages but I would have appreciated a pack of full size train cards - again cheapskate considering the price (and size) of the box.
Now on to playing the first game. The track pieces are fiddly and clutter up the table so I will try to find a couple of small pots to stand them in.
We (3) play friendly games so agreed not to steal another's track. This meant that we could plot the tracks to complete our tickets virtually without playing any cards to claim routes. I.e. pick up any two matching cards and lay a track of the same colour.
It is quite fun and it grows on you. Laying tracks across routes gives the game an edge too.
When you have laid all the tracks you need to complete your game, it is a bit irritating to have to lay more tracks just because you pick up cards so we agreed not to bother. However if you play dirty and pinch tracks it would probably be very different.
Overall it's a great game however you play.
We haven't tackled the other side yet but it does look like an "also ran". I think it is a pity that they have used the USA again instead of a different country.
So, Days of Wonder, please free issue a set of plastic tracks and please put a set of train cards in every expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
Finland
flag msg tools
I think it's fine to build on the routes the other players have laid as there is usually more extra routes available, if players have laid tracks on every possible turn. In my opinion it is the whole idea of TTR France to lay tracks to places where you might need to go later on when you have taken additional tickets. Once you know all the tickets, then there should be some idea of possible future destinations and connections with high scoring. Often it's good to add tracks to other countries, like Spain, Germany and Belgium, as those bring big points in the end.

Strangely after about 10 games I haven't even once gone to Corse even though it doesn't require tracks. There is not that many tickets to Corse apparently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.