Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The RIS Vo, a Romulan scout ship that wasn’t even named on screen, was the ship used by Admiral Alidar Jarok in an overcomplicated plan to try to capture the Enterprise-D using fake subspace messages, a Romulan invasion fleet of the Federation, and a trap to catch Picard. However, it was overly complicated and Picard was able to convince the Klingons (under cloak) to assist him and save the day, avert a war, and cause Jarok to commit suicide. It’s part of one of the always complicated plans that never, ever works! Anyways, costing $15 and coming with the ship, base/stand, and 5 cards, is it work it?

Here’s a picture of what you get thanks to TyGuy22 and a picture of the ship thanks to gladpanda

The Vo costs 16 points and has 1 attack, 3 evade, 2 hull, and 2 shield, with an action bar of evade, scan, cloak, and sensor echo. It has 1 tech and 1 crew upgrade, and a 90 degree forward firing arc. It has a great maneuver dial with no red and 1-4 straights (with 1-2 green), 1-3 banks (with 1-2 green), turns at 1-2, and a 2 comeabout. Its named ability is that, after you move, you can perform an evade action as a free action, but you can’t attack this round. The generic costs 14 points and loses 1 shield and the crew slot. For 16 points, this ship isn’t really bad, but it’s not really good either. The 1 attack really hurts it, but the ability is solid if you can’t shoot anyone anyways. The lack of a weapon upgrade slot just plain sucks, since you would actually want to use torpedoes on this guy. All in all, it’s not really that helpful, and the new rule of 3 (where you replace your evade value with a 4 evade, instead of adding 4 to your value) really really hurts this ship and makes it basically useless. This is a great oh, I have 16 points and want another ship option, but that’s it. As pointed out below, you still get your 7 evade dice while cloaked, but you are missing the health to go with it!

There is one captain besides the generic- Alidar Jarok. A 7 skill, elite talent, 4 point captain, for an action you can discard your elite talent to target 1 ship at range 1-2. Neither ships may attach each other this round. Yay. It’s so amazing. Maybe, maybe useful if you have someone on your tail and a 1 point talent, but that’s it. 7 skill isn’t bad but, all in all, this is a 5 point one time ability that just doesn’t do you much. It can maybe keep you alive for a turn. He’s just not worth it.

There is one elite talent- Massacre. It’s a 3 point discard that, if you crit against an enemy’s Hull, you can discard to deal +1 damage. Not exactly a massacre, dealing +1 damage. 3 points for +1 damage isn’t great either. If it was 3 points to deal +1 crit, that could be a massacre, depending on what you draw, but as is this is a hard pass.

There is one crew upgrade- Selok. A 5 point action discard, you target a ship at range 1 and they can’t attack you this round. 5 points is a bit steep for this, but at least you can attack them! This is maybe playable, and is the best card in the pack.

There is one tech upgrade- Ultritium Explosives, a 2 point action/discard that requires you to discard a crew as well. You disable all your remaining shields, target a ship at range 1-2 that is not cloaked and has no shields, and deal it 1 critical. For 2 points, if this was just an action/discard, it would be worth it, but at least a 3 point action/discard stinks. It’s so situational. I’d rather go with something else, and leave this aside.

All in all, there really isn’t anything to recommend in this pack. Selok is the best card, and she is marginally playable at best. The new rules have tanked the 7 dice you’d get well cloaked now to 4, which sucks, and the 1 attack, combined with fragility of this vessel, are no good. It is a Romulan ship with the scan action natively on it, however, so there is that. Anyways, this pack is an easy pass, and you won’t even notice you did it!

Check out my other reviews at Reviews by Mil05006

Check out the shipyard for more intense competitive reviews at The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing Ship Reviews
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Fraser
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all I want to say that I always look forward to your reviews, whether or not I agree with everything in your assessments. You always put in a well thought out consideration that is well presented. In this review I just wanted to point out a factual error:

mil05006 wrote:

The new rules have tanked the 7 dice you’d get well cloaked now to 4, which sucks...

I can see how you came to this conclusion, but this ship will still roll a minimum of 7 dice based on the new rules.

From page 21:

Quote:

The rule of 3. Replace Then Modify The order in which replacements, modifiers, and range bonuses take place is irrelevant. To calculate a value, start with the printed value and then apply any replacements, first numbers and then those that multiply or divide, and then the sum of all modifiers. For example, a ship has a printed Agility Value of 1. During the Activation Phase, that ship’s Agility Value is modified by +5 (reduced to +3) by Upgrades and it uses the Cloak Action. The Cloak Action replaces its Agility Value with 1 + 4 = 5 which is then modified by +3 to 8. Later during the Activation Phase, an opposing ship reduces its Agility by -1 with an Upgrade. Because all modifiers continue to apply to the value, the Agility Value is now modified by + 5 – 1 = +4 and is still reduced to +3. Thus, the ship still has an Agility Value of 8. During the Combat Phase, an opposing ship has 2 Scan Tokens and attacks the ship at Range 3. The 2 Scan Tokens reduce the Agility Value of the ship by -2. Again, the modifiers continue to apply, so the modifier is now reduced to +5 – 3 = +2 by the Scan Tokens which makes the ship’s Agility Value 7 (replace to 5 then +2 = 7). The Range 3 bonus also takes effect increasing the Agility Value to 8. However, because the Range 3 bonus is external to the rule of 3, there is still only a +2 Modifier to the Agility Value. Finally, during the step, the ship has an ability that modifies its Agility Value by another +2, increasing the total modifier to +7 – 3 = +4 which is again reduced to +3. The final Agility Value of the ship is a replacement of 5 from Cloak + 3 from modifiers + 1 from the Range 3 bonus = 9.

The replacement of a ship's agility by cloaking is outside the rule of 3.

Please keep up the reviews! I'm looking forward to the next analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! I wasn't 100% sure how it worked out, since it's not the uh... easiest explained rule in the world. Updated my review!

Melech wrote:
First of all I want to say that I always look forward to your reviews, whether or not I agree with everything in your assessments. You always put in a well thought out consideration that is well presented. In this review I just wanted to point out a factual error:

mil05006 wrote:

The new rules have tanked the 7 dice you’d get well cloaked now to 4, which sucks...

I can see how you came to this conclusion, but this ship will still roll a minimum of 7 dice based on the new rules.

From page 21:

Quote:

The rule of 3. Replace Then Modify The order in which replacements, modifiers, and range bonuses take place is irrelevant. To calculate a value, start with the printed value and then apply any replacements, first numbers and then those that multiply or divide, and then the sum of all modifiers. For example, a ship has a printed Agility Value of 1. During the Activation Phase, that ship’s Agility Value is modified by +5 (reduced to +3) by Upgrades and it uses the Cloak Action. The Cloak Action replaces its Agility Value with 1 + 4 = 5 which is then modified by +3 to 8. Later during the Activation Phase, an opposing ship reduces its Agility by -1 with an Upgrade. Because all modifiers continue to apply to the value, the Agility Value is now modified by + 5 – 1 = +4 and is still reduced to +3. Thus, the ship still has an Agility Value of 8. During the Combat Phase, an opposing ship has 2 Scan Tokens and attacks the ship at Range 3. The 2 Scan Tokens reduce the Agility Value of the ship by -2. Again, the modifiers continue to apply, so the modifier is now reduced to +5 – 3 = +2 by the Scan Tokens which makes the ship’s Agility Value 7 (replace to 5 then +2 = 7). The Range 3 bonus also takes effect increasing the Agility Value to 8. However, because the Range 3 bonus is external to the rule of 3, there is still only a +2 Modifier to the Agility Value. Finally, during the step, the ship has an ability that modifies its Agility Value by another +2, increasing the total modifier to +7 – 3 = +4 which is again reduced to +3. The final Agility Value of the ship is a replacement of 5 from Cloak + 3 from modifiers + 1 from the Range 3 bonus = 9.

The replacement of a ship's agility by cloaking is outside the rule of 3.

Please keep up the reviews! I'm looking forward to the next analysis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.